How do reviews get listed on Amazon

Started by Guido, June 01, 2007, 05:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guido

Fairly recently on Amazon they have changed the format so that only three reviews are displayed per product unless you click on 'see all reviews'. Personally I think this is a bad thing, but there we are.

I was just wondering how those three reviews are decided upon? It doesn't seem to be done on highest percentage of positive votes or even highest number of positive votes. Surely its not just the first three chronologically?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Solitary Wanderer

I notice you can now also respond to reviews.

This could be interesting ;)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Guido

Yeah you can! Its fun responding to nut cases on 'New-age' books.

It appears that the three reviews on the first page are just the first three posted after all. How stupid.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

SonicMan46

Guido - I've noticed that recently - not sure, but of course if more than three are listed, then your best option is to just click to see all reviews; however, one would think that if Amazon was out to sell these CDs, then there would be a selection to put the 'highest ratings' on the top of the list - a simple thing to do IMO.  Concerning responding to certain reviews, I've done that a number of times, esp. when ratings were LOW & completely conflicted w/ other opinions - does this do any good?  Not sure - does the OP respond or do others read your responses?   Bascially, I read the Amazonian reviews carefully, and respect them if I feel they are well done from someone who seems to know 'what' they are commenting upon - not always an easy decision, but an important one -  :D

Steve

Quote from: SonicMan on June 01, 2007, 05:46:13 PM
Guido - I've noticed that recently - not sure, but of course if more than three are listed, then your best option is to just click to see all reviews; however, one would think that if Amazon was out to sell these CDs, then there would be a selection to put the 'highest ratings' on the top of the list - a simple thing to do IMO.  Concerning responding to certain reviews, I've done that a number of times, esp. when ratings were LOW & completely conflicted w/ other opinions - does this do any good?  Not sure - does the OP respond or do others read your responses?   Bascially, I read the Amazonian reviews carefully, and respect them if I feel they are well done from someone who seems to know 'what' they are commenting upon - not always an easy decision, but an important one -  :D

If they were to limit the reviews to 3 per item in the default page, one does wonder why they didn't simply defer to they're efficient 'helpful votes' counter. Selecting the first three chronological reviews can really keep the better reviews hidden from audiences, undermining the review system itself. Being members of the amazon community, we're all quite familiar with those reviews written by people who haven't got much of a grasp on the product, or do not understand the point of a review, and instead use the space as a mouthpiece for their personal afiiliations. Amazon does not remove these reviews, but instead relies on the helpful votes of others. Those reviews with only a handful of votes are often skipped over, in my case, (as are those with either 1 or 5 stars) for those with higher numbers. Why not highlight the most helpful reviews? I imagine this will change soon.

Iago

I have submitted reviews to Amazon. And they have used them.
My reviews of a recording are usually very simple, and are for "everyman". NOT for so called experts on classical music. who usually require an autopsy of the recording rather than a review of it. 
My reviews are either;
   1. I liked it

or

2. I didn't like it.
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected

Mark

Never been able to get a review on Amazon.co.uk, but have had the SAME review posted on .com. Got so fed up with this that I stopped bothering. Am thinking of posting reviews on eMusic instead ... where I buy most music these days, anyhow.

Greta

I don't see the change yet? It looks the same to me.  ???

I have put some simple reviews on Amazon before. But it still shows all the reviews far as I can tell...

A CD Example