Big Brother 8 (UK)

Started by Guido, June 01, 2007, 06:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guido

I know that most of you will think it's too lowbrow to consider watching it (I listen to Brahms in the ad breaks so I figure it cancels out!).

I already hate Charlie.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

greg

lol, they're on 8!
i don't think it's on in the US anymore, i can see why- i only watched for the first 2 seasons, after that it got so old.....

Guido

Quote from: greg on June 02, 2007, 12:40:21 PM
lol, they're on 8!
i don't think it's on in the US anymore, i can see why- i only watched for the first 2 seasons, after that it got so old.....

The European and American versions are so tame and dull. They usually choose quite normal people it seems, with the hope that they'll get it on. The English one is often quite psychologically demanding - high emotions, but not overtly cruel in the way that Japanese TV so often is. It's absolute junk TV, but addictive. And there's a sort of self referential mockery that surrounds the program which is a relief.
Geologist.

Mark

Lord Puttnam, Chairman of Channel 4, wants Big Brother axed. But only once another big money-making show has been commissioned. He knows it's tacky, but he also recognises that the show accounts for 15% of the channel's annual turnover.

I watched the first three series, then got hopelessly bored with it all. And why the hell they bother screening it all night I've no idea. Watching people sleep is about as banal as TV gets.

Guido

Well usually someone is up... but yeah live coverage is awful.

The fourth series was a particular low. Almost didn't get into the last series but got sucked in in the end. Its difficult to imaine a show that could generate as much revenue and be such a phenomenum... I think it will be sticking around for a while yet.
Geologist.

Hector

Quote from: Guido on June 01, 2007, 06:10:42 PM
I know that most of you will think it's too lowbrow to consider watching it (I listen to Brahms in the ad breaks so I figure it cancels out!).

I already hate Charlie.

Is it 'cause she is black?

I like the twins. It is difficult to tell which one's turn it is to have the brain cell. Now, somebody will tell me they haven't one between them.

You could listen to Brahms throughout as C4 constantly blank out the sound!