Vacation Advisory!

Started by SonicMan46, June 01, 2007, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 26, 2015, 05:09:42 PM
We were there a few years ago and enjoyed!  Typically in the early spring, we do a FL trip and alternate the coasts!

In a few weeks, a 5-night trip to Ft. Lauderdale - hope that the 'cold spell' passes and will enjoy! 

@ Peter - been to Naples, Italy - at our age, wife & I prefer a more relaxed and shorter vacation, so Naples, FL is a nice substitute - ;)  Dave

Been to both. I prefer Sorrento  :laugh:

My parents own a small condo in Naples Fl, so rent free ....

Mirror Image

I'm going to try and make it down to Jacksonville, FL. this year as I really would just like to see the city (never been) and would love to visit the Delius House on the campus of the University of Jacksonville. It would be even greater if I could meet a fellow Delian down there. I'm sure there are many since this is where the Delius Society of Florida meets, holds meetings, sponsors events/concerts, etc.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 26, 2015, 06:02:47 PM
this is where the Delius Society of Florida meets, holds meetings, sponsors events/concerts, etc.

>:D :P

kishnevi

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 26, 2015, 05:09:42 PM
We were there a few years ago and enjoyed!  Typically in the early spring, we do a FL trip and alternate the coasts!

In a few weeks, a 5-night trip to Ft. Lauderdale - hope that the 'cold spell' passes and will enjoy! 

@ Peter - been to Naples, Italy - at our age, wife & I prefer a more relaxed and shorter vacation, so Naples, FL is a nice substitute - ;)  Dave
It passed.  Temps in the 80s yesterday and today, with a front coming through to lower it into the 70s tomorrow.  A week ago I had the heat on.  Today I had the AC on.

Mirror Image

Brian

March 6 - March 15, 2015

San Francisco, Sonoma County, & Humboldt County

-including-
SF Chinatown
SF/Berkeley bookstore crawl
About a dozen winery visits, focusing on sirah, zinfandel, Russian River pinot noir, and Anderson Valley white wines
Humboldt Redwoods State Park and Montgomery Woods State Reserve
North Coast Brewery

-with special guest stars-
Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra
Rachel Podger (violin & conductor)
in 9 Vivaldi concertos!

Ken B

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 26, 2015, 06:02:47 PM
I'm going to try and make it down to Jacksonville, FL. this year as I really would just like to see the city (never been) and would love to visit the Delius House on the campus of the University of Jacksonville. It would be even greater if I could meet a fellow Delian down there. I'm sure there are many since this is where the Delius Society of Florida meets, holds meetings, sponsors events/concerts, etc.

John - we've travelled to FL a lot over the decades and usually alternate the coasts - but just below Jacksonville is St. Augustine, founded in 1565 - a wonderful place to visit (if not already done).  Dave :)

Brian

Quote from: Brian on February 26, 2015, 08:26:38 PM
March 6 - March 15, 2015

San Francisco, Sonoma County, & Humboldt County

-including-
SF Chinatown
SF/Berkeley bookstore crawl
About a dozen winery visits, focusing on sirah, zinfandel, Russian River pinot noir, and Anderson Valley white wines
Humboldt Redwoods State Park and Montgomery Woods State Reserve
North Coast Brewery

-with special guest stars-
Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra
Rachel Podger (violin & conductor)
in 9 Vivaldi concertos!

Setting off tomorrow evening. For the rent-a-car portion of my journey, bringing a bunch of jazz by Hampton Hawes, Mal Waldron, and Charles Mingus, plus this awesome set I could never do without:

[asin]B000DZIGGW[/asin]

kishnevi

Did my invasion of Virginia this past week. Focus on the days leading up to Lee's surrender.
Pictures now on Flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/34574498@N06/collections/72157653053288711/

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 18, 2015, 06:25:30 PM
Did my invasion of Virginia this past week. Focus on the days leading up to Lee's surrender.
Pictures now on Flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/34574498@N06/collections/72157653053288711/

I call your attention to my current avatar.

Looks cross-eyed and unimpressive in that picture, doesn't he?

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on May 18, 2015, 06:31:08 PM

I bought a copy of Passing of the Armies while I was there.  He certainly knew how to write.

kishnevi

SonicMan46

Quote from: Ken B on May 18, 2015, 06:31:08 PM

Jeffrey & Ken - Susan & I are about to embark early in the morning on a 6-night trip into Virginia - first stop, Petersburg for just one night - then off to the Ritz in Tyson's Corner for 3 nights - on the way there, we'll stop at the Bull Run Battlefield and then make an excursion to Gettysburg (have not been there since the ugly tower was torn down and a new visitor's center opened); finally, to Richmond for a couple of nights - will stop off at Fredericksburg for a tour & lunch.

Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain is one of my favorite Civil War characters - Little Round Top @ Gettysburg, then nearly killed @ Petersburg; eventually promoted to general status and was chosen to accept the surrender of Lee's army @ Appomattox - despite his injuries, still lived into his 80s, was 4-time governor of Maine, and president of Bowdoin College (where he apparently thought nearly all of the courses offered) - WHAT a guy! 

A more recognizable image below along w/ the Medal of Honor he received for Little Round top - Dave :)

P.S. forced my wife to re-watch the Ken Burns Civil War series (just excellent!) and I watched Gettysburg w/ Jeff Daniels as Chamberlain - enjoyed yet again for the umpteenth time - ;)

kishnevi

Enjoy!

If you can, see Pamplin Park in Petersburg.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 18, 2015, 06:58:45 PM
Enjoy!

Thanks - that's our first stop - suspect about 2 1/2 hr drive for us, then on to Petersburg close by - Dave :)

EigenUser

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 18, 2015, 06:48:18 PM
Ritz in Tyson's Corner for 3 nights
Five minutes away from my house (though, I'm away at college).

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 18, 2015, 06:58:45 PM
Enjoy!

I went to Pamplin Park on a field trip in 4th grade. My only memory is when we went to the gift shop to get our parents souvenirs. I got my parents two shot glasses. Not one, but two. One for each (they don't do shots). Years later, my mom told me that she was mortified at what the teachers/chaperons must have thought, especially since she was a frequent volunteer at my school.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 18, 2015, 06:48:18 PM
Jeffrey & Ken - Susan & I are about to embark early in the morning on a 6-night trip into Virginia - first stop, Petersburg for just one night - then off to the Ritz in Tyson's Corner for 3 nights - on the way there, we'll stop at the Bull Run Battlefield and then make an excursion to Gettysburg (have not been there since the ugly tower was torn down and a new visitor's center opened); finally, to Richmond for a couple of nights - will stop off at Fredericksburg for a tour & lunch.

Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain is one of my favorite Civil War characters - Little Round Top @ Gettysburg, then nearly killed @ Petersburg; eventually promoted to general status and was chosen to accept the surrender of Lee's army @ Appomattox - despite his injuries, still lived into his 80s, was 4-time governor of Maine, and president of Bowdoin College (where he apparently thought nearly all of the courses offered) - WHAT a guy! 

A more recognizable image below along w/ the Medal of Honor he received for Little Round top - Dave :)

P.S. forced my wife to re-watch the Ken Burns Civil War series (just excellent!) and I watched Gettysburg w/ Jeff Daniels as Chamberlain - enjoyed yet again for the umpteenth time - ;)

His decision on Little Round Top is I think the most dramatic moment in American history. They call Lee audacious! But what strikes me about it is that once you get past what an outlandish thinking-outside-the-box decision it is, it's very logical. The only asset he had left was gravity, so he used it.
And the salute was a magnificent and important action too.

Brian

Tomorrow afternoon, off to spend a weekend in Washington, DC! It's only a weekend, but a vacation nonetheless. :)

Also, on the plane, a 10th year of service for my 2006 iPod Classic. The thing's battery is dying, and it doesn't respond to commands with perfect accuracy, but it's older than almost any other functioning Apple product owned by my friends/family.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brian on July 16, 2015, 07:34:47 PM
Tomorrow afternoon, off to spend a weekend in Washington, DC! It's only a weekend, but a vacation nonetheless. :)

Also, on the plane, a 10th year of service for my 2006 iPod Classic. The thing's battery is dying, and it doesn't respond to commands with perfect accuracy, but it's older than almost any other functioning Apple product owned by my friends/family.

Hi Brian - we've been to D.C. plenty of times and on our last visit a few months ago decided to see some of the newer museums that we had not been to more recently - of several our favorite was the Newseum - recommended if you've seen the others and want a 'different' experience - have a great time!  Dave :)