Vacation Advisory!

Started by SonicMan46, June 01, 2007, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EigenUser

Quote from: Brian on July 16, 2015, 07:34:47 PM
Tomorrow afternoon, off to spend a weekend in Washington, DC! It's only a weekend, but a vacation nonetheless. :)

Also, on the plane, a 10th year of service for my 2006 iPod Classic. The thing's battery is dying, and it doesn't respond to commands with perfect accuracy, but it's older than almost any other functioning Apple product owned by my friends/family.
Aw man. Too bad I'm in DE currently. Otherwise we could meet up somewhere. Oh well...
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Florestan

Quote from: Moonfish on July 18, 2015, 01:40:10 PM
So you actually drove about 400 km/day during your trip? About 5 hours of driving per day?

FWIW, today I drove 400+ km starting at about 10 AM and finishing at about 10 PM. That is 12 hours, of which I effectively drove at least 10.  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Moonfish

Quote from: Florestan on July 18, 2015, 01:50:20 PM
FWIW, today I drove 400+ km starting at about 10 AM and finishing at about 10 PM. That is 12 hours, of which I effectively drove at least 10.  :D

I presume that you are exhausted? Did you enjoy the spots you visited?  :)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Florestan

Quote from: Moonfish on July 18, 2015, 02:16:39 PM
I presume that you are exhausted?

Honestly, I can drive hundreds upon hundreds of kms --- the exhaustion shows itself only in the last 20 or 30 km --- but then again when I finish driving I have a few beers and I feel like posting here again! :D

Did you enjoy the spots you visited?  :)

Yes, absolutely, every bit and inch of them!  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on July 18, 2015, 01:30:21 PM
Hi, folks!

I have just returned from a 3-night trip in central Romania. I have visited the following places:
About 1,500 km by car.

Hi Andrei - looks like some great sites that you visited - thanks for the links!  In May, wife & I did a 6-night trip from North Carolina to southern Pennsylvania mainly to visit a bunch of Civil War battle sites (Petersburg, VA; Bull Run, VA; Gettysburg, PA; Fredericksburg, VA) w/ an ending stay in Richmond, VA - put 900 miles on the car (about the same as you!) - Dave :)

Karl Henning

The missus's fancy this year runs to a day-trip-distance outing to Acadia National Park.  We've never been so deep Down East before (maybe this is the first we shall actually have been Down East . . . terminology, and all.)  The distance is agreeably short;  but we shall stay there some four nights.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on August 25, 2015, 06:22:52 AM
The missus's fancy this year runs to a day-trip-distance outing to Acadia National Park.  We've never been so deep Down East before (maybe this is the first we shall actually have been Down East . . . terminology, and all.)  The distance is agreeably short;  but we shall stay there some four nights.

Have a great time, Karl, and be safe. From the pictures, looks like a beautiful place to visit.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: karlhenning on August 25, 2015, 06:22:52 AM

Hi Karl - we've made 3 or 4 trips to Maine over the years (been a while and miss the lobsters up there!) - but on one trip we stayed in Bar Harbor and visited Acadia National Park - enjoy! 

For Susan & I, we just returned from a 4-night trip to the Charlottesville, VA area - mainly wanted to see the progress being done of Jefferson's Poplar Forest 'escape' home near Lynchburg (did on the way up) and on Madison's Montpelier - both dramatically further restorations; also, went west to Staunton, VA for a day trip to see Woodrow Wilson's birthplace home, visit the Frontier Culture Museum, and take a ride on the Skyline Drive.  In addition, we sampled vinous products at about a half wineries in the vicinity over our 3 days there.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Cheers, Dave!  I've probably told you that I did my Master's at UVa, very fond of the old place!  I love that they keep a room in honor of Poe (who was kicked out).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: karlhenning on August 25, 2015, 09:38:16 AM
Cheers, Dave!  I've probably told you that I did my Master's at UVa, very fond of the old place!  I love that they keep a room in honor of Poe (who was kicked out).

Yep, I remember that you attended the U of VA - great area to go to school!  Dave :)

XB-70 Valkyrie

I am interested in advice on travel to Ireland. We are looking at about a two week trip with five or six nights in Dublin, then renting a car and driving around the south and west of the island, and hopefully a trip to Skellig Michael and the Aran Islands. We are interested in the usual castles, megaliths, beaches, scenic vistas, and some good food (and Guinness!!). Possibly late summer of next year.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Spineur

We are planning a 3 weeks trip to Myanmar (Burma) over the christmas break 8).  I found a nice travel agency there which is helping us with the planning and  the reservations.  Any advices, recommendations would at this stage be most welcome. :)

Spineur

This year we are off to the Canarias for 20 days.  Half on Tenerife and half on la Palma.  It is our 4th trip there (average temperature in December & January 18C).  The plan is to do some hiking, beach time and good restaurant.  I came across some nice recording of the Tenerife orchestra.  Maybe we can check it out too.

Mount Teide on Tenerife is the highest point of Spain.  It oversees the largest caldera in the world (over 26 km in diameter).  Pic:

Spineur

One of my Teide photo I just took.  Perfect weather, but cold and windy.  But what a breathtaking sight !

After the climb I am blasting Aida in my earphones !

Moonfish

*bump*

Any musical vacations this year?

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Tomorrow I'm taking off for Europe for a few weeks so my postings will be more sporadic (or non-existent for that matter) depending on Wifi access.  Anyways, I DO plan to be back to kindle the CDCDCD syndrome.   0:) 0:)

I will miss listening to classical music.....    :'( :'(

*feverish and desperate look going through withdrawal*
Anna Lappé

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Driving the West Coast

At the end of this week, Wifey & I are flying to Seattle, then commencing a drive to Los Angeles. The whole thing will take about 12 days, with an average of 3-4 hours driving time per day.

Apart from a visit to San Francisco 10 years ago, I've never been to the West Coast. I figure it's time to take a proper look.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach