Vacation Advisory!

Started by SonicMan46, June 01, 2007, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Iota on October 24, 2019, 04:23:56 AM
Ha ha, thanks, Vandermolen, that gave me a real laugh ... first came Harold in Italy, then Vandermolen in Siena .. he he. A long way to go to audition for the part of Frank Spencer though surely? ... :laugh:  Happy peregrinations!

'Vandermolen in Siena' very funny!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Or « Jeffrey's excellent italian adventure ». :D

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Sarge was right and there were no more major disasters on my Italian adventure. Even though I found driving a left-hand drive car on the 'wrong' side of the road very nerve wracking, having it did allow us to explore a lot more of the beautiful countryside in Tuscany. It did also allow me to benefit from my wife's driving tips, mostly 'STAY ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE ROAD!'

André

Nice, Jeffrey!

Not too many Hyacinth back-seat driving moments, I hope?  :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0wZxcdM3KGo

vandermolen

Quote from: André on October 27, 2019, 07:08:32 AM
Nice, Jeffrey!

Not too many Hyacinth back-seat driving moments, I hope?  :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0wZxcdM3KGo

Yes, that was pretty much the dynamic!

Thank you my friend.

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on October 27, 2019, 03:33:50 AM
my wife's driving tips, mostly 'STAY ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE ROAD!'

Your wife is a wise woman, but my own tip would be slightly different:

STAY ON THE RIGHT, period.

>:D :P
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Sergeant Rock

Sarge was right and there were no more major disasters on my Italian adventure.

Good to hear, Jeffrey. And having a wife as co-pilot is a great thing. I appreciate Mrs. Rock's pointing out the things I might have missed. Keeps us safe.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on October 27, 2019, 10:49:57 AM
Your wife is a wise woman, but my own tip would be slightly different:

STAY ON THE RIGHT, period.

>:D :P
8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 27, 2019, 11:12:24 AM
Good to hear, Jeffrey. And having a wife as co-pilot is a great thing. I appreciate Mrs. Rock's pointing out the things I might have missed. Keeps us safe.

Sarge
Thank you Sarge.

Mirror Image

Sarge was right and there were no more major disasters on my Italian adventure. Even though I found driving a left-hand drive car on the 'wrong' side of the road very nerve wracking, having it did allow us to explore a lot more of the beautiful countryside in Tuscany. It did also allow me to benefit from my wife's driving tips, mostly 'STAY ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE ROAD!'

Wonderful, Jeffrey! I'm glad you and the missus made it back in working order. :) That second photo is beautiful. What a countryside!

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 27, 2019, 11:34:15 AM
Wonderful, Jeffrey! I'm glad you and the missus made it back in working order. :) That second photo is beautiful. What a countryside!
Thank you John! Here's the 'missus' taking a photo from the site of an Etruscan tomb which we came across by chance:

JBS

Glad everything turned out fine. Great photos, too.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on October 27, 2019, 12:19:25 PM
Glad everything turned out fine. Great photos, too.
Thanks Jeffrey

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 27, 2019, 11:49:42 AM
Thank you John! Here's the 'missus' taking a photo from the site of an Etruscan tomb which we came across by chance:

Very nice indeed. 8)

owlice

:: adds Siena to the list of places to visit ::

Quote from: André on October 24, 2019, 09:41:04 AM
Or « Jeffrey's excellent italian adventure ». :D
This made me laugh! I liked Rock's comment about getting all the little disasters out of the way at the beginning of the trip, and indeed, it seems that's exactly what you did!

I got back last week from a trip to the Netherlands and Germany. We happened to hit Leiden just in time for their October 3 Festival (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_October_Festival), which was great fun! Lots of street food, rides, games, stalls for buying stuff, and entertainment, including a guitar/mountain dulcimer duo. The mountain dulcimer was held and played almost like a guitar. The foliage in Garching was lovely. I was in Garching last year, too, but was too early for Octoberfest; this year, I was there too late for it!

Karl Henning

Quote from: owlice on October 30, 2019, 07:27:34 PM
This made me laugh! I liked Rock's comment about getting all the little disasters out of the way at the beginning of the trip, and indeed, it seems that's exactly what you did!

I got back last week from a trip to the Netherlands and Germany. We happened to hit Leiden just in time for their October 3 Festival (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_October_Festival), which was great fun! Lots of street food, rides, games, stalls for buying stuff, and entertainment, including a guitar/mountain dulcimer duo. The mountain dulcimer was held and played almost like a guitar. The foliage in Garching was lovely. I was in Garching last year, too, but was too early for Octoberfest; this year, I was there too late for it!

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: owlice on October 30, 2019, 07:27:34 PM

Very nice indeed. Leiden has happy GMG associations for me. My daughter was 'studying' in Leiden for a year as part of her degree course at Leeds University in England. Leiden is very beautiful indeed and it was a pleasure to visit. I went twice, once to take my daughter over on the ferry and once to visit her. It also gave us the opportunity to meet  and share a lovely evening with two famous Dutch Johans of this forum. Happy memories or 'The Siege of Leiden' as one of them put it. I'm sure that you'd like Siena.

DaveF

Bump!  Looks like no-one has been on holiday much recently, but we're allowed again (national mourning or not).

Madame F & I are off to Vienna next week, where I thought it would be easy to find concerts of Berg, Webern, Mahler etc. but so far have drawn a complete blank.  There appear to be endless "Mozart Supper" style things, the 4 Seasons on a continuous loop, several chances to hear the Philharmoniker's opening concert of its new season (my least favourite Bruckner symphony conducted by one of my less-favourite conductors), and horses dancing to J. Strauss.  Does anyone know if there are other venues that don't get onto the viennaconcerts.com website that might offer something a bit more interesting?

Thanks, all,
DF
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Wanderer

The Fourth is your *least* favourite Bruckner symphony?! And Martha-freaking-Argerich performing Schumann's Piano Concerto is not good enough for you?! Oh, you do so deserve those J.Strauss-dancing horses! 😜🤷‍♂️😁