Vacation Advisory!

Started by SonicMan46, June 01, 2007, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on September 09, 2019, 01:20:57 PM
Driving the West Coast

At the end of this week, Wifey & I are flying to Seattle, then commencing a drive to Los Angeles. The whole thing will take about 12 days, with an average of 3-4 hours driving time per day.

Apart from a visit to San Francisco 10 years ago, I've never been to the West Coast. I figure it's time to take a proper look.

Excellent. A beautiful drive. I made a similar trip (Seattle to San Francisco) in 1970 when I returned to the States after 13 months in Korea.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Driving the West Coast

At the end of this week, Wifey & I are flying to Seattle, then commencing a drive to Los Angeles. The whole thing will take about 12 days, with an average of 3-4 hours driving time per day.

Apart from a visit to San Francisco 10 years ago, I've never been to the West Coast. I figure it's time to take a proper look.

Excellent. Safe travels!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

listener

As an older person I now realize there is limited time for some activities for me.   I think I can get to Beijing (new airport) and return from London (get there through the Chunnel) using accumulated points.  I love train travel, could do Beijing-Almaty-Samarkand-ishevsk-Warsaw-Prague-Berlin (never been to any of them) London in short hops with frequent stopovers.  It's a year from now, so I'm appreciating info from anyone who has been in those areas.  I don't drive.

Here's a website that's useful for thinking schedules and prices: https://www.rome2rio.com/
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

André

Quote from: listener on October 08, 2019, 03:15:19 PM
As an older person I now realize there is limited time for some activities for me.   I think I can get to Beijing (new airport) and return from London (get there through the Chunnel) using accumulated points.  I love train travel, could do Beijing-Almaty-Samarkand-ishevsk-Warsaw-Prague-Berlin (never been to any of them) London in short hops with frequent stopovers.  It's a year from now, so I'm appreciating info from anyone who has been in those areas.  I don't drive.

That's quite a project you've got there! A few years ago one of my aunts traveled roughly that itinerary by train - I believe it was the Trans-Siberian. She was close to 80 and traveled alone.

Artem

Train rides in the former Soviet Union countries may not be particularly comfortable. I used to travel from Kazakhstan's capital to Moscow by train and it took 2,5 days and was just awful. 

vandermolen

Quote from: listener on October 08, 2019, 03:15:19 PM

Here's a website that's useful for thinking schedules and prices: https://www.rome2rio.com/
I've been to Berlin (x2), Warsaw (when it was communist) and Prague and can recommend them all.

I'm going to Siena for a short break in about a week's time. I've never driven on the continent before. I'm not especially looking forward to driving the 68 miles from Pisa Airport to Siena on the 'wrong side of the road'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Jo498

Couldn't you just go by train or bus from Pisa to Siena?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

Quote from: Jo498 on October 11, 2019, 01:35:37 PM
Couldn't you just go by train or bus from Pisa to Siena?

Thanks. I did ask about that but the hotel we're staying at is outside Siena and I was told that a car is essential for exploring the local area and driving around to see the local villages etc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Moonfish

Quote from: vandermolen on October 11, 2019, 01:02:49 PM
I've been to Berlin (x2), Warsaw (when it was communist) and Prague and can recommend them all.

I'm going to Siena for a short break in about a week's time. I've never driven on the continent before. I'm not especially looking forward to driving the 68 miles from Pisa Airport to Siena on the 'wrong side of the road'.

I'm planning a trip going birding in the UK and have the same "fear". Ha ha! 

Siena in October sounds lovely.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

vandermolen

Quote from: Moonfish on October 11, 2019, 11:37:03 PM

Yes, but it's not our fault that every other country decided to drive on the wrong side of the road.  8)
Trip sounds nice. Which part of the UK are you going to? I'm really looking forward to Siena. I've been to Florence and Pisa but never Siena. I'll be back just before we crash out of the EU - what a disaster.  :(

listener

Quote from: Moonfish on October 11, 2019, 11:37:03 PM

It is, do the centre plaza late afternoon - wonderful colours and light.     As for my trip, I could get to Nizhny Novgorod and Zelazowa Wola if the timings are night
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

vandermolen

Greetings all from Siena.

So far the hire car has had a flat tyre and my wife and I would have spent the night in the car near the autostrada had a kind young Italian woman and her friend not helped us. Today having a relaxing glass of wine in a charming cafe/music shop in Siena (which is a very beautiful city) I spilt red wine all over my wife's' white trousers. This did not go down well. Then, whilst she was soaking the trousers in the sink in our hotel room I inadvertently knocked the electric hair dryer into the filled basin thus fusing all the electrics in the room (this happened twice). And we are only on day two of our relaxing mini-break!

Amazingly the music shop had a 'Vaughan Williams' section although only Hilary Hahn performing 'The Lark Ascending' etc.

André

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on October 22, 2019, 10:01:44 AM

So far the hire car has had a flat tyre and my wife and I would have spent the night in the car near the autostrada had a kind young Italian woman and her friend not helped us. Today having a relaxing glass of wine in a charming cafe/music shop in Siena (which is a very beautiful city) I spilt red wine all over my wife's' white trousers. This did not go down well. Then, whilst she was soaking the trousers in the sink in our hotel room I inadvertently knocked the electric hair dryer into the filled basin thus fusing all the electrics in the room (this happened twice). And we are only on day two of our relaxing mini-break!

Amazingly the music shop had a 'Vaughan Williams' section although only Hilary Hahn performing 'The Lark Ascending' etc.

Blimey Jeffrey! That is dangerous - I mean knocking hair dryer in basin not spilling wine over wife. Although in my case the latter would be pretty dangerous too!  :'(

Enjoy your trip. Lovely part of the world.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

SonicMan46

Oh my Jeffrey!  Are you trying to write a script for a re-make of a National Lampoon Vacation movie -  ;)  But you're in a beautiful part of Italy w/ plenty of 'vino choices' - stay safe and have fun!  Dave

Sergeant Rock

So far the hire car has had a flat tyre[...]Today having a relaxing glass of wine in a charming cafe/music shop in Siena (which is a very beautiful city) I spilt red wine all over my wife's' white trousers[...]Then, whilst she was soaking the trousers in the sink in our hotel room I inadvertently knocked the electric hair dryer into the filled basin thus fusing all the electrics in the room (this happened twice).

Good to get the little disasters out of the way early in the trip :o  It should be smooth sailing from this point on. Good luck!

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Thank you guys - much appreciated. Today was without incident (famous last words) and we took our little hire-care Fiat 500 into the hills and I greatly enjoyed seeing the Palace of Pope Pius II in Pienza and Montalcino. The beautiful Italian countryside looks straight out of the film 'Gladiator' - the CD of the soundtrack was for sale in the palace bookshop.
Don't worry, I won't be subjecting you to a nauseating daily 'Look-at-Me' bulletin but just thought that I would say hello.

When I emailed my daughter about our 'Monsieur Hulot's Holiday'- type adventures she replied that it sounded like 'a normal holiday' in this family.
:)

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Iota

Ha ha, thanks, Vandermolen, that gave me a real laugh ... first came Harold in Italy, then Vandermolen in Siena .. he he. A long way to go to audition for the part of Frank Spencer though surely? ... :laugh:  Happy peregrinations!

Iota

Driving the West Coast

Hope that was good. This summer I was in California too, it was an absolutely sensational trip. My first time on the West Coast. We drove up from LA via Death Valley, Yosemite, finishing about two weeks later in San Francisco. One wonder after another, hard to take it all in, but I was completely smitten! I was wondering if Donald might let me retire there ..