Vacation Advisory!

Started by SonicMan46, June 01, 2007, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longears

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on September 06, 2007, 09:35:06 PMI'm a bit of a peace and quiet fanatic and also a nature lover (I am a biologist after all), so I think I'd really like such an area.

Then you'll like the Idaho panhandle.  Idaho (Heather's views notwithstanding), after all, is known for great fishing, great skiing, and vast tracts of spectacular wilderness.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Anne on September 07, 2007, 06:46:46 PM
If my memory is correct, maybe springtime would be a good time to visit.  Didn't the Queen give Ottawa a large number of tulips?  I've forgotten the occasion.

Anne - not sure (but makes sense!) - we've been to Canada probably a dozen times or more, and typically go around August (mainly to escape the HOT summers in North Carolina!  ;D) - go during the winter & you can ice skate on the canal!

Lilas Pastia

I'll probably be visiting my brother in North Carolina next month. :D Hope it's not too hot at that time of the year?

Anne

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on September 07, 2007, 07:07:59 PM
Canada provided safe haven in Ottawa for Queen Juliana of The Netherlands and members of the Dutch royal family, who began a tradition of gifting thousands of tulip bulbs each year to the people of Canada to symbolize international friendship. It's the largest tulip festival in the world, with over 3 million bulbs blooming in May.

Thanks for giving the important info.  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on September 08, 2007, 06:25:15 AM
I'll probably be visiting my brother in North Carolina next month. :D Hope it's not too hot at that time of the year?

AndrĂ© - hello!  :D  Not to worry, weather should be comfortable (unless some storms are comin' through - hurricane season?) - my favorite months in the Carolinas are April-May & September-October, so hope your visit will be pleasant & the weather comfortable!  This summer has really been miserable throughout this country - here, we've hit temps into the upper 90s & above (really unusual!).

BTW, let me know 'where' your brother lives - sure he knows the area well, but be glad to make any 'visit recommendations' if desired - Dave  :)

Lilas Pastia

Thanks, Dave! My brother and his wife live in Raleigh. She hails from Asheville and I'd think she knows the place inside out. OTOH when they lived in Ormond Beach, Fla, I could spot things on the map (Rand McNally's state Gazetteer - a gem!) that she had no idea about. Like the time we made a swipe to a tiny state park that happens to house the tallest tree in Florida, right outside Orlando.

I'm not sure what will become of that project, though. My Mom just told me she had gotten a call from him saying they were coming here next October  ::)

SonicMan46

Philadelphia - just returned from the City of Brotherly Love - we stayed @ the Ritz (great meeting rate) next to City Hall (smaller, older looking building in the pic below) - we were there not too long ago and stayed in the 'historic district' near the river - my first suggestion if you plan to visit Philly - plenty of Revolutionary & Constitutional history; this time nearer the Convention Center & the Reading Terminal Market.

Some hightlights this time included a visit to the Masonic Temple & the Rodin Museum - but one of the most pleasant surprises was the plethora of excellent restaurants w/i walking distance of the hotel; ate only seafood the entire stay - will post in the food thread later for those who may be going to this city & might want some restaurant recommendations!  :D

SonicMan46

Amazing how these threads go unnoticed - nearly 2 months now since a vacation post!  :o

Well, I've taken a number of long weekend trips locally - the latest yesterday - just an overnight to the Raleigh (North Carolina) area (2 hrs away by car) - visit to the NC Museum of History - a very special exhibit on the Lost Colony - the first attempt by the English to establish a colony in North America - during the 1580s (unfortunately, the Spanish Armada interfered w/ checking the status of the colony in the later 1580s).

But, the highlight of this exhibit was the loan from the British Museum of original 'watercolors' of John White, an artist who made numerous pictures of the flora, fauna, & the American Natives; reproductions of his works of art appear in many books about the early history of North Carolina - the colony was established on Roanoke Island on the Outer Banks; John White was the governor of the colony, but returned to England to obtain more help in sustaining the establishment; however, the Armada interrupted his return - when he finally got back to NC, the colony had disappeared.

Some of the images are shown below, but dozens were presented @ the exhibit:

SonicMan46

Well, another 2 months have gone by & no posts to the 'vacation' thread!  :o

Just returned from a 'too short' 4-night stay in Florida - St. Petersburg Beach @ the Don Cesar - wonderful historic 'pink' resort - posted on this hotel about a year ago (we had to return soon!) - eating experiences on the trip in the  food thread, if interested!

The Tampa Bay area has a plethora of  sites & activities that could occupy weeks, but this time we concentrated on seeing 'sea mammals' - a pleasant afternoon activity was a sail boat ride on an inner bay looking for dolphins - we did 'luck out' - saw about a dozen, both adults & mothers w/ babies; plus, the sail boat captain was quite astute in 'circling' the dolphins, so that plenty approached the boat & jumped near us - one of my best experiences in viewing these wonderful animals in the wild!  :D

On Monday, a day outing - took the rental car across the absolutely spectacular Tampa Bay Bridge - what a view, both ways!  Headed north to the Apollo Power Plant w/ the Manatee Viewing Center - a unique accomplishment w/ viewing boardwalks, museum, gift shop, etc. - the warm water discharged from the plant attracts manatees when the surrounding Gulf waters are too cold for them - only a dozen or so were there that day and not close enough to observe; however, this is a special experience & recommended if you're in the area!

Same day after lunch at Lee's Crab Trap (see eating thread), headed a little south to the South Florida Museum - a gem attraction in AAA, and well worth a visit if you are on the west coast of Florida - a mixture of natural FL history, a 'state of the art' planetarium, and a small aquarium w/ manatees! At present, there is a 59 y/o male manatee named Snooty - an absolute delight; plus, 3 smaller manatees (2-3 y/o) rescued from the wild (and soon to be released back) after some careful care - visited during the 'feeding time' - great discussion of these docile vegetarians.  Just a great day -  :D

val

Last summer I went to Cabo Verde, an archipelago in Africa and a former Portuguese colony, that even today totally depends on Portugal help.
I almost drowned myself in the last day, and it was a miracle that I survive. I will never return there.
But the best Hotel is very good and original. The problem is the sea, wild and treacherous.

Next summer I am planning to go to Majorca, a Spanish island.

SonicMan46

Quote from: val on February 07, 2008, 02:17:01 AM
Last summer I went to Cabo Verde, an archipelago in Africa and a former Portuguese colony, that even today totally depends on Portugal help.
I almost drowned myself in the last day, and it was a miracle that I survive. I will never return there.

Next summer I am planning to go to Majorca, a Spanish island.

Val - Sounds like a frightening experience!  :o  Hope you trip to Majorca is safer & more pleasant - that's where George Sand & Chopin spent some time - curious if there are any reminders of their visit?  Have a great time!  :)

pjme

earlier this year, I spent a couple of days in Northern  France ( near calais) : Cap Blanc Nez.

Saturday I'm off to London (with the Eurostar) for some books, music etc ( Philharmonia / Salonen/Jolivet/Messiaen/Stravinsky). A museum and some Indian food..! Any good address for Kurma, chapati, koriander chicken...???

Cap Blanc Nez and Cap Gris Nez are lovely!

Peter

pjme

This the village of Escalles, where I stayed - a 5 minute walk to the seafront.

pjme

And it takes only 2.5 hrs to get there ,from Antwerp.

BorisG

pjme

bhodges

Gorgeous!

And my favorite place in Amsterdam...

--Bruce

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: bhodges on February 08, 2008, 07:48:20 AM
Gorgeous!

And my favorite place in Amsterdam...

--Bruce

I have tickets for June 6th, will attend with ChooChoo and his lovely wife. Bruckner 6th...

8)

SonicMan46

Washington, D.C. - just returned from a medical meeting there (posted my 'eating experiences' in the food thread, already - recommendations for those planning to visit!) - of course, there are just dozens of places to see & visit in the USA capital (and I've been visiting since the early '70s), but this time had to limit my options: major attractions this time included the NMAI (National Museum of the American Indian, both continents) - excellent food court w/ preparations from the different regions - had to return to see our names on one of the donation panels; The Phillips Collection - just off the Dupont Circle metro stop - house collection of mainly 19th & 20th century art, including Renoir's famous Luncheon of the Boating Party (boy, you really need to see famous paintings in person to appreciate their beauty & color!) (the Cocoran Gallery is another great 'house' collection of art; of course, not to mention the numerous other art museums there - all 'gem' attractions in the AAA guide); and finally:

Mt. Vernon - George Washington's home on the Potomac, rather modest by European (and later American) aristocratic standards, but just a lovely spot to visit - I had not been there in over 20 yrs, and the main reason for the return was the addition of new attractions, esp. the newly opened museum w/ the 'full scale' model reconstructions of Washington's appearance at three different stages in his life - also, if you do have a chance to vacation in the area, a visit to Alexandria, VA is another hightlight - beautiful colonial town w/ great history, buildings/homes, & food -  :D

SonicMan46

Just returned from a wonderful 3-day trip to Blowing Rock, NC - Blue Ridge Mountain resort just 90 mins from hour home in the Piedmont - 10+ degrees cooler after climbing up the continental divide!

Stayed at the Chetola Resort - first few pics of the lodge/restaurant area & lake in front - huge place w/ multiple buildings in the background (not seen) - we usually rent a 1-bedroom condo.

Grandfather Mountain is about 20 mins away, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway - additional pics below of views from the top, including the 'mile high' bridge - Susan in the background!

Could not load all of my images in one post - seems to have  been a problem for me?  Will add some more in my next post!  :D