Vacation Advisory!

Started by SonicMan46, June 01, 2007, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 04, 2009, 11:06:59 AM
Gorgeous pictures, Dave!  :)  I'll be seeing similar sites come tomorrow.  My family and I are off to Riding Mountain National Park for a week, as we do every year.  :)

Thanks, Ray - have a great time!  :D

Susan & I have been to Canada many times but never the central provinces, such a BIG country to explore and enjoy!  Out visits have taken us to Nova Scotia, PEI, Quebec (a number of times), Ontario, Calgary, & British Columbia; I grew up in Michigan, so we crossed over into Ontario via Windsor in those early years.  Dave  :)   P.S.  Post some pics - might stimulate us to visit!  ;D

ChamberNut

Quote from: SonicMan on July 04, 2009, 12:03:50 PM
Thanks, Ray - have a great time!  :D

Thanks Dave!  I'm off and away.  Toodleloo!  :)

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Keemun

Hello everyone.  The past couple of weeks have been hectic.  I had to travel to an out of state funeral and I've been busy with work, family, etc.  For the next week I'll be at the beach in Florida and not probably not posting at all.  So I wanted to let you know what I've been up to.  I promise I'll be back and more active soon.   :)
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

SonicMan46

Well, we are in Indianapolis visting our son - some great eating in this town; the other attraction this week is the U.S. Senior Open being held at Crooked Stick golf course (the place that John Daly won his first major, the PGA Trournament a while back).

We've got tickets for the Thursday & Friday rounds, and about to leave - will take the girls on Thursday, and then just the boys (i.e. my son & I) for the Friday round and likely a 'fuller' day -  :D

Solitary Wanderer

Hi everyone. My wife and I have just returned from a fantastic two weeks in beautiful British Columbia. It's my wife's home town and first visit in fifteen years. And my first visit ever and also my first overseas trip in twenty-three years!  We packed a lot into two weeks so here's an overview and some pic's.

We spent the first four nights in Mission, about one hours drive east from the airport in Vancouver, with Maria's parents. Her step-father turned eighty and her Mother seventy-eight while we were there so there was a big birthday party with about forty guests. Her parents are both very fit and active – very impressive actually. Apart from shopping and restaurants we did a wonderful Fraser River Safari which took us inland to the Harrison River confluence. On route we saw bald eagles, herons and sturgeon. Sadly we didn't spot a Sasquatch which would have been a highlight. We stopped at Kilby Historic site for a wander around this pioneer settlement.

Kilby

We spent the next four nights with friends in Kits and this is where we did the bulk of our sightseeing and activities including: Wonderful epicurean tour of Granville Island food markets, Emily Carr Art Institute, UBC Museum of Anthropology, Nitobe Gardens, 'The Number 14' play at the Waterfront theatre on Granville Island, Bard on the Beach, Downtown walk taking in the Art gallery, Christ Church, Provincial Law Courts glass atrium, Fairmont Hotel, Coal Harbour Seashore walk, Hired bikes and cycled 10km around the Stanley Park Seawall, VanDeusen Gardens, drive around Chinatown, Gastown, Yaletown and the notorious Downtown Eastside. We also had a spectacular daytrip to Whistler on the famous Whistler Mountaineer and did the Peak to Peak gondola ride.

On Route to Whistler

Crossing the Cheakamus Canyon

Cycling the Stanley Park Seawall

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Solitary Wanderer

The Peak to Peak Gondola - longest free span ride in the world

It's high!

Atop Whistler

We had lots of wonderful food but the highlight was Lumiere in Kits which had recently reopened after being refurbished for a year. They boast a three star Michelin chef and the food was simply the best imaginable; beautifully presented with perfectly balanced flavours and textures. We had the five course tasting menu.

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Solitary Wanderer

The final six nights we returned to Mission and continued with more shopping and dining out. We also did a day trip to Sechoult on the Sunshine Coast to visit a long lost family member. Beautiful ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay to Langsdale. And a daytrip to North Delta to visit my wife's childhood home – first visit in thirty-seven years and the owners were the people who bought the house from my wife's parents in 1972! We were able to go in and have a good look around and it turned out to be a wonderful experience.

On the Ferry to the Sunshine Coast

Mt.Baker in the U.S is visible from everywhere in Mission - could even see it from Whistler!

Overall I loved BC. It seemed more affluent than New Zealand and the famous West Coast Hospitality was much in evidence. The service and people in general were very friendly and obliging. The city was quite sophisticated and the collective conconscious of the people seemed very positive. The weather was very hot and dry which surprised me – high 30s every day.

I'm already thinking about returning soon!

SonicMan46

Chris - thanks for those wonderful posts & pics from your trip to British Columbia - the family, scenery, & food together sound like a memorable trip not to be forgotten - glad that you two enjoyed the experience!

We've been to BC just a couple of times, mainly Vancouver Island, Victoria (wonderful!), cruise up the inner passage, Vancouver, and some side trips (including a great all-day train ride); but there is so much more that we missed (as proven by your many pics); we've also had a wonderful trip to Alberta & the Canadian Rockies (Calgary, Banff, & Jasper) - love those western Canadian provinces - you're 'wetting' my appetite for a return visit!

Glad that you posted - thanks again!  Dave  :D

Lilas Pastia

Great pics and great posts, Chris !

I've never been to BC  :'( (farthest West I went was Banff, Alberta), but I'll make up for lost time eventually. Unfortunately, plane ticket to, plus meals and  accommodations for one week in BC cost more than three weeks in Cuba or Mexico.

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: SonicMan on August 03, 2009, 06:18:33 PM
Chris - thanks for those wonderful posts & pics from your trip to British Columbia - the family, scenery, & food together sound like a memorable trip not to be forgotten - glad that you two enjoyed the experience!

We've been to BC just a couple of times, mainly Vancouver Island, Victoria (wonderful!), cruise up the inner passage, Vancouver, and some side trips (including a great all-day train ride); but there is so much more that we missed (as proven by your many pics); we've also had a wonderful trip to Alberta & the Canadian Rockies (Calgary, Banff, & Jasper) - love those western Canadian provinces - you're 'wetting' my appetite for a return visit!

Glad that you posted - thanks again!  Dave  :D

Yes, amazing place. We're keen to do a Rocky Mountaineer train ride to Alberta, Calgary and Banff next time. Did you stay at the Banff Springs? I'd like to stay there - looks stunning!

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on August 07, 2009, 03:15:52 PM
Great pics and great posts, Chris !

I've never been to BC  :'( (farthest West I went was Banff, Alberta), but I'll make up for lost time eventually. Unfortunately, plane ticket to, plus meals and  accommodations for one week in BC cost more than three weeks in Cuba or Mexico.

Thanks Lilas. We were very fortunate in that we stayed with family and friends for two weeks and it didn't cost us a cent. They even insisted on paying for all our dinners when we went out. Of course we wouldn't always have this when we travel, but it sure added to the holiday and freed up our money for sightseeing etc  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on August 13, 2009, 03:06:08 PM
Yes, amazing place. We're keen to do a Rocky Mountaineer train ride to Alberta, Calgary and Banff next time. Did you stay at the Banff Springs? I'd like to stay there - looks stunning!

Well, we were planning to stay @ the Banff Springs, but could not get into the place even though we had been planning months in advance; however, we did make a half day visit, ate lunch, and did some touring just in case we make a 'return' visit!

Lake Louise & the hotel are another wonderful spot (pic inserted above) - we did not stay there either, but again spent a half day w/ touring & a lunch; plus, we rented a canoe and were on the lake for nearly 2 hours - views were just spectacular as you would imagine!

I know that I have a bunch of slides from that trip - must try to find them and post?   ::)   Dave

Lilas Pastia

I did stay at the Fairmount Banff Springs Hotel for 4 nights. I believe the year was 2003. This was of course a congress with all expenses paid  ;D. One of the organized tours was - guess what? - an outing to Lake Louise ! We got to hike along the lake till the end and back (on the same side - you can't make the circle) - that was in November, not the best season to be in Banff or Lake Louise. Not yet Winter, and not good enough to enjoy the outdoors. But still, it's something I'll cherish for a long time. The Banff Springs manages to be both plush (almost luxurious) and family-friendly. A place that is both grand and comfortable. Every night we had a formal dinner in a huge hall, so I can't tell about the restaurant's fares (I mean the offering, not the asking  ;)), but the menus sure looked appetizing. One of my pet memories is discussing and tasting fine teas for over an hour with the tea shop owner in the boutiques gallery. That's about the only stuff I could afford  :D, but if your donna fancies a fur coat, she'll find her heart's content there!

BTW, although the place looks like it stands majestically by itself in the canadian Rockies, it's only 3 minutes by foot to downtown Banff on a well-maintained sidewalk.

knight66

On Wednesday I go here.....

Then here....

Back a week later.

Mike

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

ChamberNut

Nice Mike!  Where is that?  :)

The new erato

Seems almost Norwegian, the upper picture reminds me of parts of Akerselva in Oslo...

knight66

The new erato

What's wrong with Norway?:

;D

knight66