Vacation Advisory!

Started by SonicMan46, June 01, 2007, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

I've only got one blog post to go until I've fully blogged my Barcelona holiday - been back for a couple days already, though! The essays so far are here, including two discourses on Antoni Gaudi, an analysis of tapas, and the story of my encounter with the New York Ska Jazz Band.

From La Sagrada Familia, my new desktop wallpaper:

SonicMan46

Well, Susan (i.e. Harpo) and I are on our first vacation of the year (too short, i.e. just 4 nights) to Key West, FL - been chilly in North Carolina the last few months, so nice to fly into Key West w/ balmy temperatures in the high 70s/low 80s!  Weather predicted to be sunny for our stay (and the daily temperature variation should be just about 10 degrees only - nice!).

Just our 2nd visit to Key West - staying right on the historic harbor area at the Ocean Key Resort - couple of pics below showing the resort sitting on the water (our room is to the far right) - the room image is similar but w/ some of the furniture & decorations different - decorated in the typical south FL/Caribbean colors - first night quite enjoyable -  :D

The new erato

Nothing exotic here:  just me and the wife taking a weekend at our seaside retreat along the Norwegian coast (1,5 hrs drive from home in Bergen):

Drasko

Quote from: The new erato on February 27, 2011, 02:10:02 AM
Nothing exotic here:  just me and the wife taking a weekend at our seaside retreat along the Norwegian coast (1,5 hrs drive from home in Bergen):

Looks great! The windows and the porch and the view.

The new erato

Thank you, it is. I have a hot tub on the porch (to the right of the view) and a small 19' boat for excursions and fishing (it's on land during the winter). And a quite small HiFi - last year I heard most of the Sallinen symphonies over a period of a few days as accompaniment to the the Sun sinking into the sea (we're facing due southwest); a very strange and moving experience. Those symphonies have  the mysticism to be the perfect setting for such an experience. Along with a small glass of single Scotch.  ;)

Drasko

Quote from: The new erato on February 27, 2011, 02:25:22 AM
Along with a small glass of single Scotch.  ;)

If single is malt (Islay preferably) and glasses are multiple that indeed sounds perfect.

I have a very good friend living in Stockholm, and asking me to come visit him for years.  If I eventually do I might invite myself for a glass of that Scotch, though I'd prefer Desprez to Sallinen. 8)

The new erato

Quote from: Drasko on February 27, 2011, 02:35:04 AM
If single is malt (Islay preferably) and glasses are multiple that indeed sounds perfect.
Preferably it is. A big Islay fan.

And Desprez as well. Would like to rip part of my collection and install a hard disc system out there, currently I bring a small selction of CDs on each visit.

MishaK

I will be in Germany 6/17 thru 7/15, and in Frankfurt specifically from 6/24 onwards. Is anyone around? I note that on 7/7 Inbal is conducting Bruckner 9 with the WDR at the Kloster Eberbach basilica as part of the Rheingau Musikfestival. I am in the process of persuading my significant other (aka the "boss")  ;D to go. Anyone want to join? Sarge?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: MishaK on March 30, 2011, 02:23:20 PM
I will be in Germany 6/17 thru 7/15, and in Frankfurt specifically from 6/24 onwards. Is anyone around? I note that on 7/7 Inbal is conducting Bruckner 9 with the WDR at the Kloster Eberbach basilica as part of the Rheingau Musikfestival. I am in the process of persuading my significant other (aka the "boss")  ;D to go. Anyone want to join? Sarge?

I'm considering it--would like to attend. The Kloster is a great acoustical setting for Bruckner (we heard Mahler 2 last summer). But for health reasons my concert going this year has been greatly curtailed and I'm relunctant to commit this far in advance. I'll keep you posted if things change. If not the concert maybe we could meet for a drink or dinner at Schloss Vollrads. Or Mrs. Rock and I could take you to our favorite picnic place in the vineyards above Hallgarten. Mrs. Rock packs a mean picnic basket  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MishaK

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2011, 03:44:25 AM
I'm considering it--would like to attend. The Kloster is a great acoustical setting for Bruckner (we heard Mahler 2 last summer). But for health reasons my concert going this year has been greatly curtailed and I'm relunctant to commit this far in advance. I'll keep you posted if things change. If not the concert maybe we could meet for a drink or dinner at Schloss Vollrads. Or Mrs. Rock and I could take you to our favorite picnic place in the vineyards above Hallgarten. Mrs. Rock packs a mean picnic basket  8)

Sounds great! I hope you get better. Let's get in touch again closer to the date.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2011, 03:44:25 AM
But for health reasons my concert going this year has been greatly curtailed and I'm relunctant to commit this far in advance.

Sorry to hear this. Get well soon.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: The new erato on February 27, 2011, 02:10:02 AM

But where are the CDs?  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on March 31, 2011, 07:55:52 AM
But where are the CDs?  ;D

Hidden under that hill across the water.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Brian

A week in Istanbul, starting in a few hours. All that schoolwork can wait. My step-aunt M. is going to be an extremely enthusiastic host: last night at 12:48 am London time (2:48 am Istanbul time) she texted me to make sure I remember to go to the airport early.  ;D And her family are amazing cooks, so this should be good.

SonicMan46

Kiawah Island - beautiful barrier island just south of Charleston, South Carolina - Susan & I love this place and decided to return this spring (kind of a birthday present - next week for me!) - spending 4 nights in a lagoon 2-bedroom condo (picture below) - posted last year w/ some alligator photos from the same place -  :o

The main 'hotel' on the island is The Sanctuary - quite elegant but we're getting our 4 nights in a peaceful condo for the price of 1 night in the hotel - good restaurants!  But below included a few pics of views on the hotel which sits on the Kiawah beach - the Atlantic Ocean was rather 'rough' today due to the storms coming through the coast.

Have Wi-Fi in the room so posting from my lappie!  Dave  :D

DavidW

Wow that looks nice Dave!  They say that money can't buy happiness... but it can buy alot of neat vacations. :D

Sergeant Rock

Looks like a great spot, Dave. I'll be waiting for your posts on the meals you'll be enjoying.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Wanderer

My father's village near Kyparissia, southwestern Peloponnese, where I've spent almost every Easter since childhood. Hopefully the weather will be as good this year, too. This weekend in Athens: very autumnal and rainy.

20042009068 by tastath, on Flickr

19042009038 by tastath, on Flickr

20042009066 by tastath, on Flickr

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Wanderer on April 17, 2011, 11:30:24 AM
My father's village near Kyparissia, southwestern Peloponnese, where I've spent almost every Easter since childhood. Hopefully the weather will be as good this year, too. This weekend in Athens: very autumnal and rainy.

20042009068 by tastath, on Flickr

19042009038 by tastath, on Flickr

20042009066 by tastath, on Flickr
That looks like an amazing place to be. Have fun!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

DavidW

Wow that looks like paradise, Wanderer.  Why wander if that's your home? ;)