Vacation Advisory!

Started by SonicMan46, June 01, 2007, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

David & Sarge - hey thanks for the comments; a relaxing day w/ a lot of walking both on the pathways around the lagoons and also on the beach which was quite calm today - the tide was out, so plenty of flat sand to stroll; breezy and refreshing!

Took a stroll around our lagoon for a little extra exercise to work off a few pre-dinner drinks we had at the Sanctuary shown previously - willing to pay that price -  ;D

Below another pic of our lagoon condo (on the far right bottom) across from the water - also while wandering on the shore of the lagoon, came across a 5-6' alligator getting some late afternoon sun!  Image isn't great because of the sun's angle, but decided not to get too close!  Also saw a giant blue heron and an anhinga drying its wings - great to see this as just part of nature here; really a recommended place for anyone vacationing along the coastal Carolina area!  Dave  :)

SonicMan46

Well, since last posting a pic of our 'local' alligator (nicknamed 'Wally') - I've seem him (assume a male) cross the pond a half dozen times - our porch juts our to near the water, so when he is close, you can stare into his eyes! 

For those of you who may be visiting the Charleston, SC area, there is just plenty to do; Charleston of course offers many options, including some superb restaurants.  But up the Ashley river road are some plantations that offer a variety of activities - these include Drayton Hall, Magnolia Gardens, and Middleton Plantation; all are unique although Magnolia Gardens provides the most choices - we spent about 5 hrs there yesterday (although an entire day would be easy!).  Just a few pictures below - activities done included a boat ride (Great blue heron - actually saw 3 or 4), nature tram ride (great for some history of the gardens which was a working rice plantation before the Civil War), and slave quarter visit (w/ some long & honest commentary by the guide - was enlightening even for an old history buff of the era like myself).  Also a walk through the gardens w/ the ponds, bridges, flowers (azaleas in bloom) is always beautiful.   :D

Brian

Today, taking a day hike through the Kent Weald and stopping off for lunch at a "gastropub" with Easter roast.

Googled stock photo of Kent Weald:

Opus106

*Cues Vaughan Williams in the background.*
Regards,
Navneeth

Brahmsian

Quote from: Opus106 on April 24, 2011, 03:28:09 AM
*Cues Vaughan Williams in the background.*

Where are the cows, to truly make it a "pastural" scene?  :D

Of course, had it been a photo of harbour with sailboats, it must be a cover of a Britten CD!  ???

knight66

Link to blog with photos etc on my recent trip to Rome.

http://themirrorandthelamp.blogspot.com/2011/05/rome-april-2011.html

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 27, 2011, 05:54:03 AM
Why your brain needs vacations

If someone really needs a professor at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University to find out that vacation is good for the brain and he should take one, then I really pity him.  ;D  :D

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

karlhenning

You know, there are people here in the US of A who will (or, ought to) benefit from that very article . . . .

springrite

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 27, 2011, 06:08:59 AM
You know, there are people here in the US of A who will (or, ought to) benefit from that very article . . . .

Maybe a few of them may even apply for a passport for the first time in generations.

Just finished my 12 day 14 city lecture tour in Western Muslem region of China. It is a much safer place than last year when I went. Unlike last year, at no time did I feel any fear of attacks. But I did not go to the southern sector where I heard some Al Qaida members have returned after bin Laden's death. So that place may once again become volatile. I hope not.

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

karlhenning

Florestan

Quote from: springrite on May 27, 2011, 06:13:12 AM
Maybe a few of them may even apply for a passport for the first time in generations.

- Passport? What's that?
- Sort of ID that allows you to travel abroad.
- Abroad? Where is that?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

karlhenning

Quote from: Florestan on May 27, 2011, 06:14:51 AM
- Passport? What's that?
- Abroad? Where is that?

Maybe it's, like, Rhode Island, kind of? . . . .

springrite

Quote from: Florestan on May 27, 2011, 06:14:51 AM

What do you mean "travel" a broad? Is that something kinky?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Florestan

Quote from: springrite on May 27, 2011, 06:17:24 AM
What do you mean "travel" a broad? Is that something kinky?

Very kinky: you f^&%k your money in distant places. 

Mn Dave

No, no. Travel Ab Road.

Florestan

knight66

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Will spend my next holidays in Bad Meingarten.