Vacation Advisory!

Started by SonicMan46, June 01, 2007, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Hi David - well, you are a LOT closer than me to Kiawah Island - so just get on I-26 to Charleston, then the I-526 Bypass to Savannah which will terminate in HW 17, head south until you see the left turn to Kiawah Island; about 20 miles more to get onto the island and you're there - the Newton Farms grocery store is at the turn - check it out!

For many years, we've alternated our rentals from the Kiawah Island properties and Pam Harrington HERE; we've rented from Pam since the '80s - check her website - a single BR condo on the lagoon would be inexpensive and will include a full kitchen - take a chance and do a visit as soon as you can!  WHY - well, you're want to return!  Dave :)

Lilas Pastia

Béatrice and yours truly are currently vacationing on Providenciales Island, in the Turks and Caïcos Islands. This is our second stay here. There are many luxury hotel compounds on the island. This year we again decided to go local and rent an apartment close to the beach for 1/5th of the price. A real no-brainer.

The main beach is along Grace Bay and stretches over 5 miles with multiple beach accesses. With good quality grocery stores, a full-equipped kitchen and a decent cook on board ( that's me  ;D) it could be much, much worse!

The best thing about Turks and Caïcos is that the beaches are mostly empty. Even popular Grace Bay Beach boasts mostly empty stretches of powdery sand and turquoise waters. Just gorgeous.

Can't post pics, as I write from an Ipad. Just google and check what pics there are on the web. You can believe what you see  ;).

kishnevi

Quote from: André on September 29, 2012, 09:51:17 AM
Béatrice and yours truly are currently vacationing on Providenciales Island, in the Turks and Caïcos Islands. This is our second stay here. There are many luxury hotel compounds on the island. This year we again decided to go local and rent an apartment close to the beach for 1/5th of the price. A real no-brainer.

The main beach is along Grace Bay and stretches over 5 miles with multiple beach accesses. With good quality grocery stores, a full-equipped kitchen and a decent cook on board ( that's me  ;D) it could be much, much worse!

The best thing about Turks and Caïcos is that the beaches are mostly empty. Even popular Grace Bay Beach boasts mostly empty stretches of powdery sand and turquoise waters. Just gorgeous.

Can't post pics, as I write from an Ipad. Just google and check what pics there are on the web. You can believe what you see  ;).

Look north northwest, and imagine me waving hello from 1000km (more or less)  away :)
And some pictures of Wikipedia for you (none of them actually where you are)

Lilas Pastia

SonicMan46

Quote from: André on September 29, 2012, 09:51:17 AM
Béatrice and yours truly are currently vacationing on Providenciales Island, in the Turks and Caïcos Islands.................

Hi André - enjoy!  Susan & I have not been to the Caribbean in a while, but thinking about a cruise in the near future?  Dave :)

P.S. - we travel now w/ an iPad only and it does have it's limitations, but in general is adequate and easily packed!   

kishnevi

Quote from: André on September 29, 2012, 03:14:20 PM
Saint Augustine?

Pembroke Pines.   Look at Fort Lauderdale, and then move slightly southwest.  We are in effect a suburb of both Miami and Fort Lauderdale, although we're in Broward County, which ties us to Fort Lauderdale much more than Miami.  My house is ten minutes by foot and three minutes by car from the 26th parallel.

I was basing my mileage figures on Wikipedia.

kishnevi

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 29, 2012, 04:08:19 PM
Hi André - enjoy!  Susan & I have not been to the Caribbean in a while, but thinking about a cruise in the near future?  Dave :)

P.S. - we travel now w/ an iPad only and it does have it's limitations, but in general is adequate and easily packed!

Carnival and possibly Princess do cruises that stop in Turks and Caicos, but I think you might be more interested in the Western routes which visit Roatan Island, and can be taken from either Houston or Miami.

springrite

In Baltimore for a conference. After the busy conference, got to spend a day at the harbor water front and it was wonderful. Loved the cruise the night before, the wonderful day that followed with crabs, shrimp, oysters, and a wonderful visit to the aquarium. Don't know much else about the city, but that part of the city I like.

Tomorrw a boring day at Universal Studios, but will follow by driving to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon. I have about 60 CDs with me, so there will be lots of music during the drive.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Karl Henning

Weather must have been delicious for you, Paul. Sorry that we don't get to see you here in Boston this trip!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

PaulR

On Wednesday, I'll be heading down to NO until Sunday evening.  I most likely will lurk a bit, but probably won't post much. 

SonicMan46

Quote from: PaulR on October 27, 2012, 07:41:15 PM
On Wednesday, I'll be heading down to NO until Sunday evening.  I most likely will lurk a bit, but probably won't post much.

Hi Paul - I'm assuming that you mean New Orleans?  If so, checkout Curtis Mayfield's Club in the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street - we went twice on our last visit to the city, along w/ eating dozens of plump oysters!  :)

PaulR

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 28, 2012, 07:39:38 AM
Hi Paul - I'm assuming that you mean New Orleans?  If so, checkout Curtis Mayfield's Club in the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street - we went twice on our last visit to the city, along w/ eating dozens of plump oysters!  :)
Yeah, I meant New Orleans.  Going down there for AMS conference (and hoping that the trip will make me want to stay in school ((which is a different subject)).

I'll have to check that out, my hotel is about 1 mile away.

SonicMan46

Susan & I just returned from a 2-day trip to the Triangle (Chapel Hill-Durham-Raleigh) to see a number of traveling art exhibits @ several museums. First visit, was to the Nasher Museum on the Duke Campus - we saw a 'small' portion of the art collection of the Cone sisters which resides in the Baltimore Art Museum - mainly impressionistic pieces w/ a lot of Matisse, their long time dear friend; their older brother, Moses, is of course famous for NC textile mills, Moses Cone Hospital in GSO, & the Cone Mansion off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Second day after a light lunch that included 18 oysters on the half shell (shared equally!), we visited the NC Art Museum which had 2 exhibits; one (the larger) from Boston's MFA entitled 'Still Lifes....', and an eclectic collection covering a number of centuries - some beautiful compositions, I like one by Renoir the best. Also a smaller exhibit on the prints of Edvard Munch (most famous for the SCREAM - which was there as prints) - I had forgotten how many he had made (woodcuts, lithographs, etchings, and mixed media) - I believe we enjoyed that smaller exhibit the most - some of the many art works seen shown below! - :) Dave

kishnevi

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 19, 2012, 07:09:07 AM

Second day after a light lunch that included 18 oysters on the half shell (shared equally!), we visited the NC Art Museum which had 2 exhibits; one (the larger) from Boston's MFA entitled 'Still Lifes....', and an eclectic collection covering a number of centuries - some beautiful compositions, I like one by Renoir the best. Also a smaller exhibit on the prints of Edvard Munch (most famous for the SCREAM - which was there as prints) - I had forgotten how many he had made (woodcuts, lithographs, etchings, and mixed media) - I believe we enjoyed that smaller exhibit the most - some of the many art works seen shown below! - :) Dave

I've been to the Boston MFA once in my life, as a kid;  I'm hoping to see it when (G-d willing) I visit family there this summer.  It has, among other things, one of the best collections of Oriental Art in the US, and also a superior collection of Egyptian mummies (the one thing, naturally, which I remember from my juvenile visit).

Karl Henning

If you make it up here, do be sure to ping me!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

springrite

This year I am going to the following places on business:

Chennai, India (June 10-14, maybe a few days added to travel a bit)
Singapore (July)
Somewhere in Malaysia (probably in August)
Pheonix, AZ (October)

You think I may meet some GMG'ers? Hummm....

Beorn

Quote from: springrite on March 28, 2013, 07:25:17 AM

Singapore (July)
Somewhere in Malaysia (probably in August)
Pheonix, AZ (October)

I'll be in AZ this year, as usual.

springrite

Quote from: Beorn on March 28, 2013, 07:26:18 AM
I'll be in AZ this year, as usual.
Before or after the conference, I think I will drive up to Camp Verde just north of there. That little place left very good memories about 20 years ago and I would like to revisit.

Beorn

Quote from: springrite on March 28, 2013, 07:30:44 AM
Before or after the conference, I think I will drive up to Camp Verde just north of there. That little place left very good memories about 20 years ago and I would like to revisit.

For October? Outlook not so good.

kishnevi

Quote from: springrite on March 28, 2013, 07:25:17 AM

Isn't that Navneeth's home turf?