Vacation Advisory!

Started by SonicMan46, June 01, 2007, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on August 05, 2013, 02:52:58 PM
So I did go on a day trip last week to Charleston.  I went to the aquarium.  I went to the gallery part of Fort Sumter, but missed the last ferry out there for the day.  Had dinner at Hyman's Seafood Restaurant, don't know if you've been there Dave, but for anyone else if you're in Charleston that is the place to eat!  Saw some of downtown, which was very impressive..........

Hi David - glad that you enjoyed; Susan & I have been there dozens of times (in fact, a return visit is probably in our near future!) - but a tour of the harbor & a visit to Ft. Sumter a must - also try the corny horse rides (after, you can walk the areas that looked cool - plenty of 'old' house tours available; PLUS, keep in mind that the carriage rides are regulated to routes, so you can take a handful and go into different areas).  After you've seen Charleston (will take a number of visits), then visit the Ashley River Plantations (Middleton Gardens, Magnolia Plantation, & Drayton Hall) - pic below of Magnolia Gardens).

As to Charleston restaurants, just hard to go wrong - the Meeting/Market Street area has a concentration of good/excellent places.  We've eaten @ Hyman's SF Restaurant a number of times - others in that same area recommended are Hank's Seafood Restaurant & Peninsula Grill (same owner's - former less formal & the latter more pricey); several others - Poogan's Porch & SNOB's - BUT there are just too many to remember - keep us abreast of your experiences in Charleston - AND, if you like an elegant 'jungle' island experience, then pay a visit to Kiawah Island, another favorite retreat for us.  Dave :)

DavidW

Thanks Dave, I'm going to save your post on my computer for future reference. :)

Parsifal

Will be away for 10 days or so, traveling through Pushchino, Moscow and St Petersburg.

DavidW

Cool Scarpia, please share pics when you get back! :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Scarpia on August 17, 2013, 06:21:32 PM
Will be away for 10 days or so, traveling through Pushchino, Moscow and St Petersburg.

Scarpia - have a great trip and please provide some highlights on your return!  :)

springrite

Not a vacation but conference in Arizona. Do we have GMG'ers in Phoenix?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

SonicMan46

Quote from: springrite on September 17, 2013, 07:18:30 AM
Not a vacation but conference in Arizona. Do we have GMG'ers in Phoenix?

Hi Paul - don't live there but have been to the USA Southwest many times including Phoenix & Scottsdale (mostly medical meetings when I was still working) - have you gone yet?  If not, where are you staying?  How much free time do you have?  Plenty of things that I could recommend, if interested - Dave :)

TheGSMoeller

Myrtle Beach for a week with the wife and boy starting Sunday. It's to my in-laws beach house which means free staying. Can't beat that, which is why we visit Myrtle so often. It's South Myrtle Beach so it's away from the hotels and boardwalk, very peaceful, never have to struggle for a space on the sand.
Hopefully I can produce more great pics like I did last time...

springrite

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 17, 2013, 04:39:30 PM
Hi Paul - don't live there but have been to the USA Southwest many times including Phoenix & Scottsdale (mostly medical meetings when I was still working) - have you gone yet?  If not, where are you staying?  How much free time do you have?  Plenty of things that I could recommend, if interested - Dave :)
Since I lived in LA for two decades, I have driven to Phoenix many times. I will have some free time so the only planned trip would be to Camp Verde, a small town with a little over 100 families, including Native Americans. I was there with my parents in 1994, arriving on the day of their celebration of the 100th anniversary of the camp's establishment. It was very unique, one of a kind, and Dad wrote about it and published it in China with photos. I want to go there again to give the book to the town.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

SonicMan46

Quote from: springrite on September 17, 2013, 05:10:27 PM
Since I lived in LA for two decades, I have driven to Phoenix many times. I will have some free time so the only planned trip would be to Camp Verde, a small town with a little over 100 families, including Native Americans. I was there with my parents in 1994, arriving on the day of their celebration of the 100th anniversary of the camp's establishment. It was very unique, one of a kind, and Dad wrote about it and published it in China with photos. I want to go there again to give the book to the town.

Sorry, did not know that you were already familiar w/ the area - hope all goes well w/ your planned visit.

SonicMan46

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 17, 2013, 04:48:28 PM
Myrtle Beach for a week with the wife and boy starting Sunday. It's to my in-laws beach house which means free staying. Can't beat that, which is why we visit Myrtle so often. It's South Myrtle Beach so it's away from the hotels and boardwalk, very peaceful, never have to struggle for a space on the sand.
Hopefully I can produce more great pics like I did last time...

Hi Greg - great pics!  Our last trip to Myrtle Beach was about 4 years ago (stayed at the Marriott in North Myrtle - like it up there) - enjoy the area - lot of varied eating & entertainment options plus some interesting side trips, such as Brookgreen Gardens - Dave :)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 17, 2013, 05:38:27 PM
Hi Greg - great pics!  Our last trip to Myrtle Beach was about 4 years ago (stayed at the Marriott in North Myrtle - like it up there) - enjoy the area - lot of varied eating & entertainment options plus some interesting side trips, such as Brookgreen Gardens - Dave :)

Hi, Dave. Yes, the brookgreen gardens is beautiful, we try to get there with every Myrtle visit. And a fun part of our trips is discovering a new independent seafood restaurant.  :)

Parsifal

I few photos from the first part of my trip to Russia, Moscow

M1

Lenin would be turning over in his grave if he knew about this rodeo on Red Square, and you can check if you want.

M2

Some good bargains to be had.  IKEA selling office chairs for 999 rubles, that's about 30 bucks!

M3

Even Stalin liked to go shopping, judging by this shopping mall he built in Central Moscow.

M4

If you sing a bawdy song in here you get sent to a Siberian Gulag for 5 years hard labor.  They said no pictures inside.  Since I'm not posting this from a Siberian Gulag, you can infer I didn't try to take any.

M5

Relics of the late Soviet era are everywhere in Moscow, like this one.  You can sing all the bawdy songs you want in there.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Scarpia on September 19, 2013, 02:28:04 PM
I few photos from the first part of my trip to Russia, Moscow

M1

Lenin would be turning over in his grave if he knew about this rodeo on Red Square, and you can check if you want.

M2

Some good bargains to be had.  IKEA selling office chairs for 999 rubles, that's about 30 bucks!

M3

Even Stalin liked to go shopping, judging by this shopping mall he built in Central Moscow.

M4

If you sing a bawdy song in here you get sent to a Siberian Gulag for 5 years hard labor.  They said no pictures inside.  Since I'm not posting this from a Siberian Gulag, you can infer I didn't try to take any.

M5

Relics of the late Soviet era are everywhere in Moscow, like this one.  You can sing all the bawdy songs you want in there.

Nice pics! I see from what follows you also went to Peter's Summer Palance and Tsarskoe Selo. Fun stuff - assume you saw the 'new' Amber room. Did you make it to any of the monestaries in the Golden Ring around Moscow (for example, Zagorsk)? You had very good very good weather too.

It used to be that even taking a picture of a bridge could land you in jail. I was once in Crimea taking pictures of the (then rusting) Russian warships. No one seemed to care, but the bridges in Moscow and St. Petersburg were a different story!!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Parsifal

Also had an excursion to St. Petersburg

P1

Here are fountains first installed by Peter I, near Petergof.  No pumps are employed, it is all driven by hydrostatic pressure.

P2

This provides a potential escape route for Edward Snowden, the channel leads to the Gulf of Finland, and freedom.

P3

P4

This marks the spot where Alexander II was attacked by a bomb, very uncharacteristic of St. Petersburg

P5

The Summer Palace.  Supposedly Catherine the Great objected to this because the gold hurt her eyes.  I can relate.

Parsifal

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 19, 2013, 11:47:09 PM
Nice pics! I see from what follows you also went to Peter's Summer Palance and Tsarskoe Selo. Fun stuff - assume you saw the 'new' Amber room. Did you make it to any of the monestaries in the Golden Ring around Moscow (for example, Zagorsk)? You had very good very good weather too.

It used to be that even taking a picture of a bridge could land you in jail. I was once in Crimea taking pictures of the (then rusting) Russian warships. No one seemed to care, but the bridges in Moscow and St. Petersburg were a different story!!

We did visit St. Petersburg and saw the reconstructed amber room.  It wasn't the most impressive thing we saw.  The golden ring will have to wait a future trip.

PaulR

Going to Pittsburgh next Wednesday for the AMS conference.

Karl Henning

Imminent evacuation from The Town of the Pulse.  By good chance, or road to the airport does not conflict with the Sox's "rolling rally."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

John Copeland

Changing broadband providers this week, may be off for a few days...nothing new there then.   :laugh: :laugh:

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot