Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Safe travels, Gurn & Dave-&-Susan!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: karlhenning on August 27, 2014, 07:53:43 AM
Safe travels, Gurn & Dave-&-Susan!

Thanks Karl - we'll try to return to the North Fork for some more wine tasting - :)  Dave

Gurn Blanston

Thanks all for your comments. I tried replying yesterday AM on the subway but we dove underground just as I hit the post button.  Nate, we made it to Juilliard, I only came away with a cap... they had facsimile autograph pages, but when I asked about Haydn, the said no, just Bach and Beethoven. WHEN I mumbled something about 'fuc@!#?' hacks, they kicked us out. Bruce was so embarrassed, he couldn't even use his "but I work here" excuse! 
:D 

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

bhodges

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 29, 2014, 01:22:11 PM
Thanks all for your comments. I tried replying yesterday AM on the subway but we dove underground just as I hit the post button.  Nate, we made it to Juilliard, I only came away with a cap... they had facsimile autograph pages, but when I asked about Haydn, the said no, just Bach and Beethoven. WHEN I mumbled something about 'fuc@!#?' hacks, they kicked us out. Bruce was so embarrassed, he couldn't even use his "but I work here" excuse! 

8)

Yes, I am now banned from appearing anywhere in the Lincoln Center vicinity.

:D  8)  :D  8)

--Bruce

EigenUser

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 29, 2014, 01:22:11 PM

8)
:laugh:

Quote from: Brewski on August 29, 2014, 02:36:24 PM
Yes, I am now banned from appearing anywhere in the Lincoln Center vicinity.

:D  8)  :D  8)

--Bruce
Woah, you work at Juilliard? I am going up there in October to see a performance of Messiaen's Oiseaux Exotiques!
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

bhodges

Quote from: EigenUser on August 29, 2014, 05:39:57 PM
:laugh:
Woah, you work at Juilliard? I am going up there in October to see a performance of Messiaen's Oiseaux Exotiques!

Actually (just to clarify) I do a monthly column on recordings for The Juilliard Journal, the school's paper. But I'm likely to be at that same concert, with AXIOM conducted by Jeffrey Milarsky. By all means, if you're there, we'll have to say hello!

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Heading out of town for a few days.  If we have WiFi, I may look in now and again :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

At Olana, the home of artist Fredric Church, with two living and lively artists at work.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on October 10, 2014, 08:56:45 AM
At Olana, the home of artist Fredric Church, with two living and lively artists at work.

Lovely! I'm sure the scenery and history are inspiring. :) These dwellings of the HRS painters are certainly high on my list of places to visit were I ever to travel in the States.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

That was what tormented the artists at first: everywhere they turned there was a beautiful view.  Too many choices!  At last they were able to settle down, although it is a bit funny to use the phrase "settle down" when what happened was, they each started five canvases.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on October 10, 2014, 09:25:04 AM
That was what tormented the artists at first: everywhere they turned there was a beautiful view.  Too many choices!  At last they were able to settle down, although it is a bit funny to use the phrase "settle down" when what happened was, they each started five canvases.
Hah!  :laugh:
And of course the most obviously beautiful sceneries don't necessarily make for the best landscapes, just as the best portraits aren't in general of exceptionally beautiful people.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SonicMan46

Quote from: karlhenning on October 10, 2014, 08:56:45 AM

Karl - Susan & I did a Hudson River trip around 2000 or so - flew into Albany and picked up a rental car, started south in Poughkeepsie and ended up in Saratoga Springs w/ visits to West Point, Hyde Park, and the attractions around Saratoga - of course also went to Olana - added a pic above.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Cheers, Dave!

Today is our last in New York. We are dawdling in the fine weather; in fact, the artists are about a hundred yards away sketching a dramatic gorge (from which the nearby town Grand Gorge appears to get its name).

This is not a photo of the gorge, it is Maria working in one last painting from the porch of our suite. She began painting at 11 o'clock and we checked out at 12.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kishnevi

Burning off some vacation days at work (use them or lose them) so I decided to play tourist at least a couple of times this week.
First stop here
http://www.deeringestate.org/index.aspx

Charles Deering and his brother James got their money from International Harvester.  James built Vizcaya, a faux Renaissance palace not far from downtown Miami.  Charles opted for a simpler mansion.  Of course he already had two mansions, one of them a castle, in Catalunya/Catalonia, so he did not need to fake his Renaissance.

He chose Richmond Cottage, directly on Biscayne Bay, at that time the first hotel south of the city of Miami and north of Key West, a wood and stucco building he renovated.  To it he added what is called the Stone House, with his library, grand salon, bedrooms, etc.   North of the house is a large mangrove stand, preserved in part by his efforts, and which is as much an attraction as the buildings. 

Almost all of the combined house was destroyed by Hurricane Andrew, but it was all reconstructed and reopened for the public. (Only the western facade, which faces inland survived without much damage.). Only a few of the current furnishings are original,  since most were scattered among the Deering family in the decades that they owned the property,  and what is original is often the donation of the Deering heirs in recent years.

When I have a chance to upload my pictures to Flickr I will post the URL here or in the photography thread.

Karl Henning

Good on ya for using 'em up, Jeffrey!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kishnevi

Staycation adventure 2
West Palm Beach
The Norton Museum, featuring a nice array of painting and some sculpture...mostly artists unknown to me, but some famous names too, usually represented by smaller or lesser known works. Strong on late 19th and early 20th century French and American, especially Impressionism and Expressionism.  But beyond this, the second floor was devoted to an extensive array of Chinese ceramics and bronzes, some dating back to the Shang, and a large display of four young photographers/graphic artists for some sort of competition called the Rudin prize occupied a major portion of the first floor. http://www.norton.org

PaulR

Going to Milwaukee for a conference next Wednesday until Sunday!

Ken B

Naples, Florida for a week, starting tomorrow.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on February 26, 2015, 03:45:07 PM
Spend some more and go to Naples, Italy!!   8)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

SonicMan46

Quote from: Ken B on February 26, 2015, 03:45:07 PM

We were there a few years ago and enjoyed!  Typically in the early spring, we do a FL trip and alternate the coasts!

In a few weeks, a 5-night trip to Ft. Lauderdale - hope that the 'cold spell' passes and will enjoy! 

@ Peter - been to Naples, Italy - at our age, wife & I prefer a more relaxed and shorter vacation, so Naples, FL is a nice substitute - ;)  Dave