Schumann String Quartets

Started by Archaic Torso of Apollo, June 25, 2009, 12:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I don't know these works at all.  :-[

2 questions:

1. How good are they?

2. What are some good recordings?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Drasko

Quote from: Spitvalve on June 25, 2009, 12:46:53 AM
1. How good are they?

Some of the finest romantic quartets.

2. What are some good recordings?

Zehetmair Quartet on ECM (1st and 3rd quartets), Hagen Quartet on DG (two separate discs with piano quintet). If you want all three on single disc Eroica on HM is pretty good, though I'm not too keen on their 3rd.

George

I don't know these works at all.  :-[

Me neither. I await the recommendations of those who have. Looks like Drasko's already posted some.  :)

Florestan

I have them with the French quartet Via Nova, as part of this set:

I second Drasko's appraisal.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ChamberNut

Fine Arts Quartet on Naxos, I highly recommend it!  Also, the St. Lawrence Qt. has a great recording of # 1 and # 3.

Herman

The three op 41 string quartets are the best quartets between Schubert and Brahms (and I like 'em better than Schubert), same way that Schumann's symphonies are the best between Beethoven and Brahms.

I checked and I'm appalled how hard it is to get hold of these works on cd. Even the Zehetmair which was released only yesterday (to much acclaim) seems to be OP already.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Herman on June 25, 2009, 04:23:42 AM
The three op 41 string quartets are the best quartets between Schubert and Brahms (and I like 'em better than Schubert), same way that Schumann's symphonies are the best between Beethoven and Brahms.

I checked and I'm appalled how hard it is to get hold of these works on cd. Even the Zehetmair which was released only yesterday (to much acclaim) seems to be OP already.

Agreed. I only have 1 2/3 cycles: the Melos (on a DG triple with all 3 Brahms), and the St. Lawrence with #1 & 3. They are wonderful works, and justly deserving of wider exposure. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

ChamberNut

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 25, 2009, 04:28:22 AM
Agreed. I only have 1 2/3 cycles: the Melos (on a DG triple with all 3 Brahms), and the St. Lawrence with #1 & 3. They are wonderful works, and justly deserving of wider exposure. :)

8)

I agree with Herman and Gurn.  There are a lot of # 1 and # 3 recordings, but not so many record # 2.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Can any1 opine on the Cherubini Quartet? I ask because this is an EMI Gemini release and appears to be easily available.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

SonicMan46

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 25, 2009, 03:40:54 AM
Fine Arts Quartet on Naxos, I highly recommend it!  Also, the St. Lawrence Qt. has a great recording of # 1 and # 3.

I have just one dics w/ all three, the Fine Arts Quartet on Naxos mentioned by Ray - probably culled over the years and cannot remember the others I may have owned - excellent review by Scott Morrison HERE, for those interested; but I'm looking forward to some more recent recommendations - could easily add another set!   :)

Herman

I suspect the fallacy that Schumann could not write for strings is still holding these works back.

I have the Hagen cd's, and they're very exciting, but I cannot help but think they rock too hard, as they do in other composers.

I have the Vogler Qt on RCA split with Johannes B., also long gone.

I have an excellent Orfeo cd with the Koeckert Qt performing nr 2 between Mendelssohn nr 1 and Smetana nr 1

I have the Orlando Qt (long gone) coupling Schumann nr 1 with Grieg

I used to have the Eroica bu I just cannot abide those HIP inflections.

Peregrine

I'ld love to hear the Juilliard doing these, they recorded all three, but haven't made it to CD...
Yes, we have no bananas

Drasko

Quote from: Peregrine on June 25, 2009, 08:05:51 AM
I'ld love to hear the Juilliard doing these, they recorded all three, but haven't made it to CD...

Something did make to CD (are those the same recordings as Columbia LPs?), but it's Doremi, so sound is likely to be horrible.

=[or not]

George

Quote from: Drasko on June 25, 2009, 08:23:23 AM
Something did make to CD (are those the same recordings as Columbia LPs?), but it's Doremi, so sound is likely to be horrible.

Indeed. They should be called Woeismi.  ::)

Peregrine

Quote from: Drasko on June 25, 2009, 08:23:23 AM
Something did make to CD (are those the same recordings as Columbia LPs?)

I don't think so and they are Doremi... :-\

Yes, we have no bananas

George

Quote from: Peregrine on June 25, 2009, 10:12:02 AM
I don't think so and they are Doremi... :-\

No one at rmcr has made a needledrop of the LPs, huh?

snyprrr

Is No.2 sooo long it won't fit on a cd??? $:)

Zehetmair is beautifully nuanced. These SQs need the best sound and performance. The ECM "feels" special.

I also like these better than Schubert... Schumann's drama is a little more introvert. I thought I wasn't going to like these SQs, but I was quite surprised. They are quite dark, perfectly put together, with many beautiful and searching moments.

Peregrine

Quote from: George on June 25, 2009, 10:19:19 AM
No one at rmcr has made a needledrop of the LPs, huh?

I'm on the case, actually  ;)
Yes, we have no bananas

Herman

While preparing dinner I listened to a couple Schumann 41/2s.

Truns out the Vogler just doesn't cut it. This is pretty heady stuff technically, and the Hagens are much better. They also take slower tempi.

Interestingly the old Koeckert Qt play the best 41/2 of these three, and this is a live recording.