Author Topic: Edmund Rubbra (1901-1986)  (Read 56676 times)

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
Re: Edmund Rubbra (1901-1986)
« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2020, 05:42:11 PM »
A new release from Hyperion's Romantic Piano Concertos series, this time the PCs by Rubbra and Bliss. These works are not that Romantic taking into account when they were written. The release is due June 26.

Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2020, 09:36:41 PM »
A new release from Hyperion's Romantic Piano Concertos series, this time the PCs by Rubbra and Bliss. These works are not that Romantic taking into account when they were written. The release is due June 26.

How interesting! Two fine works and, as you suggest, quite 'modern' for that series. The Bliss is a particular favourite of mine, especially the climax of the opening movement but the Rubbra has a poetic quality to it which is very appealing. This will go on my birthday list I think! Thanks for posting it Cesar.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2020, 01:51:42 PM »
How interesting! Two fine works and, as you suggest, quite 'modern' for that series. The Bliss is a particular favourite of mine, especially the climax of the opening movement but the Rubbra has a poetic quality to it which is very appealing. This will go on my birthday list I think! Thanks for posting it Cesar.

Is your birthday in June, Jeffrey? If so, mine too. Coincidence.  :)
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #203 on: April 20, 2020, 08:35:28 PM »
Is your birthday in June, Jeffrey? If so, mine too. Coincidence.  :)
OT

Yes on the 22nd (Cancer the Crab) when is your's Cesar?
Must explain the similarity of our musical tastes.
 ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2020, 11:43:10 AM »
OT

;D

Oh, very good, Jeffrey! Mine is on June 5th (Gemini). Definitely it helps to explain your last sentence.  ;)

Carl Nielsen

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #205 on: April 21, 2020, 12:15:36 PM »
Oh, very good, Jeffrey! Mine is on June 5th (Gemini). Definitely it helps to explain your last sentence.  ;)
Most certainly Cesar - there can be no other explanation for it.
 ;)

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #206 on: April 21, 2020, 11:06:15 PM »
OT

;D
We, Sagittarii, don't believe in such fables!  8)
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2020, 04:36:30 AM »
We, Sagittarii, don't believe in such fables!  8)
8)

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #208 on: November 02, 2021, 11:21:37 PM »
From WAYLTN thread - I thought that Edmund deserved a bump up!
Symphony No.4