The 'Dorf: In Titters over Ditters

Started by snyprrr, June 25, 2009, 11:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quintett op.57

Quote from: JoshLilly on July 12, 2009, 05:13:22 PM
It is his symphonies that are the most discussed, but in my opinion, his symphonies are his worst music.

I'm very happy with this topic.
As Elgar, Vivaldi, Paganini & sometimes Händel, Ditters is a victim of some snobbish posts in this site by people who have no idea of what they're talking about.
Regarding his symphonies, I know some really great works.
I'm not saying it's as well orchestrated and developped as Haydn's, but we have to admit he was stolen some of his most original ideas by master Joe.

quintett op.57

Not only Haydn & Mozart wrote some good music in the second part of XVIIIth century.
The thing is that classical style is not very easy to access for our modern ears, maybe because it's not as emotional as music from later periods.

jhar26

Quote from: Leo K on November 16, 2009, 04:41:52 AM
Almost through this...real amazing stuff.  Perfect for a cloudy day.

I've gotta sat again this guy's music is really worth one's chill-out time.

:)
I agree. It's a wonderful work.
Martha doesn't signal when the orchestra comes in, she's just pursing her lips.

Lethevich

Add another Giob fan here. It's my favourite piece by him that I have so far heard.

Quote from: quintett op.57 on December 25, 2009, 12:19:03 AM
I'm very happy with this topic.
Hey, long time no post!
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

snyprrr

Keepin' the 'Dorf on Page One keeps him high in the listening rotation!

snyprrr

Haydn's SQ Op.20/4 in D Major, starts off with with three unisons, slightly ominously, before gettin' happy.

The 'Dorf's SQ No.1 in D Major begins very similarly. I would think it's obvious that it's a nod. Anyone?

The 'Dorf's SQs sound to me like "pop" flavored Op.33 filtered through the inscrutable motivic sensibilities of Op.50. 1787,...good year.

False_Dmitry

August Carl Ditters - the composer who was so good, they had to make him a nobleman.

To what can we attribute the ridicule in which he's held by some tiny few?  A talented young musician who pulled himelf up by his own bootstraps - born as the son of army uniform-tailor, whose proficiency earned him a retirement job working in the Costume Dept of the Burg-Teatr in Vienna.   Yet within a few short years, Carl Ditters (as he was then) had passed through several orchestras and was leading the orchestra where his dad was stitching the costumes. 

Over 120 symphonies (plus many more which might also be his); a similarly prolific number of concertos for all kinds of instruments; dozens of operas, including those produced in Italy and for the Imperial Opera in Vienna.  The associate of Gluck, the chum of Haydn, quartet-partner to Mozart...  a central figure of the Viennese music scene of his time.

Do you know any of his works? (I don't mean "do you own any disks with them on?" - I mean do you actually know what's on the disks?). 

How can anyone find this genial rococo music-making anything but charming?

Example of his opera buffa style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7owypJzoX0

One of the oboe concertos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o4oF9u-w4o&feature=related

Violone (Double-Bass) Concerto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW1j1bqvv0I
(some excellent orchestration here, with idiomatic horn writing)

"Of all the NOISES known to Man, OPERA is the most expensive" - Moliere

karlhenning

SonicMan46

TTT -  ;D  So, what's new in the world of Karl DvD?

For those interested, his autobiography (dictated to his son and finished just several days before his death in 1799) is excellent - I read it several years back (interdepartmental loan) - HOWEVER, just downloaded a 'Kindle' edition from the U. of Toronto HERE - other DL options are available (can also be read online) - and FREE! :)

But prompted to post here because of a 'new' acquisition to my small collection of Ditters works, i.e. String Quartets from 1789 w/ the Gewandhaus Quartett - these are pleasant light works and quite enjoyable; well performed by this group; recordings are from 1980-81 w/ excellent remastering - now I own two other discs w/ the same SQs & several Quintets (also shown below) - Franz Schubert Quartet on CPO - have not made any comparisons.

Just left a post in the 'listening thread' and attached an old Fanfare review for those interested - the set consists of two 'short' discs (my only complaint; i.e. several additional works could have been easily added), but purchased from BRO for just $8! :)

Leo K.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 06, 2013, 08:56:52 AM

For those interested, his autobiography (dictated to his son and finished just several days before his death in 1799) is excellent - I read it several years back (interdepartmental loan) - HOWEVER, just downloaded a 'Kindle' edition from the U. of Toronto HERE - other DL options are available (can also be read online) - and FREE! :)

But prompted to post here because of a 'new' acquisition to my small collection of Ditters works, i.e. String Quartets from 1789 w/ the Gewandhaus Quartett - these are pleasant light works and quite enjoyable; well performed by this group; recordings are from 1980-81 w/ excellent remastering - now I own two other discs w/ the same SQs & several Quintets (also shown below) - Franz Schubert Quartet on CPO - have not made any comparisons.

Just left a post in the 'listening thread' and attached an old Fanfare review for those interested - the set consists of two 'short' discs (my only complaint; i.e. several additional works could have been easily added), but purchased from BRO for just $8! :)

Dave, I really REALLY appreciate the link for Ditter's autobiography, I've always wanted to read it!

Aces!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Leo K. on June 06, 2013, 02:56:57 PM
Dave, I really REALLY appreciate the link for Ditter's autobiography, I've always wanted to read it!

Aces!

Hi Leo - started last night (on my iPad) - easy read and conversational - hope that you enjoy!  Dave :)

snyprrr

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 06, 2013, 08:56:52 AM

oo oo oo do tell. I remember us talkin' the CPO String Quartets back a few years. I would most certainly like to hear a detailed comparison. Remember, I was raving about those Suske Beethoven recordings? Yes, it's been a while for the 'Dorf.

Needs new Thread Title...

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on June 25, 2009, 11:30:40 AM
Another exclusive Lead Balloon Thread by snyprrr!

Nice thread title, dude!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on June 07, 2013, 08:56:06 AM
Nice thread title, dude!

I wish I had the power to change some others'!! :laugh: ;) ('twirbl...:)))))

!!The Twittering Twavails of Taneyev!!

aaaaAAAAaaAAAAHHHhHhhhHHHhaaaa

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on June 07, 2013, 08:56:06 AM
Nice thread title, dude!

Of course, it would be even better if he would just use the real name, not the one that had to be made up when Ditters achieved the nobility. To wit; 'In Titters over Ditters'. Certainly rolls more trippingly off the tongue.

Totally overlooks the reality of the Ditters situation, but whose counting?

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

snypsss overlooking reality? Are we sure?  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 07, 2013, 10:05:22 AM
Of course, it would be even better if he would just use the real name, not the one that had to be made up when Ditters achieved the nobility. To wit; 'In Titters over Ditters'. Certainly rolls more trippingly off the tongue.

Totally overlooks the reality of the Ditters situation, but whose counting...

YEP, my thought exactly, i.e. In Titters Over Ditters - Karl Ditters was given a position that required an 'aristocratic' name, thus 'von Diddersdorf', at least in my understanding of the story - now I'm re-reading his autobiography @ the moment on my iPad (so may change my mind? ;))!

BUT, for snyprrr, I did listen to Ditters String Quartets, Nos. 1 & 3 from the two performances shown previously in my post this afternoon - the music is quite good and both performances are excellent - I can't make a choice for you; the Franz Schubert Quartet (FSQ) was recorded about 10 yrs later and the sound is a 'little' better - now the older recording on 2 discs (just over 80 minutes) is $10 at BRO; the 2 CPO discs of the FSQ are going to cost you in the mid-$20 on the Amazon MP, but has more music (2 additional String Quintets) - I guess, your choice - Dave :)

listener

The double concerto for viola and double bass shows up in the fall listing for the Seattle Symphony:
10/18
2013 Mozart: Divertimento for String in D
Dittersdorf: Sinf. concertante for Double Bass & Viola
Mozart: Exsultate jubilate K.65
Mozart: Symphony #29
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

snyprrr

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 07, 2013, 10:05:22 AM

Totally overlooks the reality of the Ditters situation, but whose counting?

8)

If people can still find 'Dittersdorf' when the Title says 'Ditters', then I'll change it. I just did it for the seeker. I like 'Ditters' better too. Lemme know and I'll change it (or you can).

The new erato

I just drove through Dittersdorf on my way from Leipzig to Passau. ;D