Jos. Martin Kraus' Haus, the "Swedish Mozart", ja!

Started by snyprrr, June 25, 2009, 11:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: SonicMan on March 07, 2010, 07:22:08 AM
Snyprrr - thanks for the comments on the SQs of Kraus - to date, I've not bought any of the discs mentioned yet; not sure 'which one(s)' to obtain - MusicWeb published a mediocre review of the Salagon Quartet - but will continue to research the web for yet other reviews and comments!

I read those reviews. Having the three different cds, I can see why just having heard one of them might not make the best impression. The contrast is vital, I think. But, they had some valid points. I just seem to like Kraus better than those two, those two,...oooo >:D!! Haha.

The g minor, for instance, has this bizarre part where this chord just stops the proceedings for a moment before resuming, a la LvB. Haydn gets credit in his Op.20 g minor, but, by the liner notes (by the liner notes, haha), Kraus hadn't heard Op.20 yet, so then, his pseudo-Romantic outbursts are his own. Kraus just doesn't write four square like Haydn.

So, either you sound "like" Haydn (Pleyel, everybody else), or else, you're judged against Haydn (the reviewers chastise Kraus' irregular forms and apparent one offs). Why can't Kraus just be a true original?

Sorry, you're just going to haaave to get all three cds! :o :P

The thing, though, with the g minor, is, that there's a Schuppanzigh recording (w/ Flute Quintet) that's twice as long as the other two recordings. I'd love to hear it with the repeats (@20mins vs. 12).

Do chime in after your survey! Onward forward!

Moonfish

*bumping this thread*   :)

Hmm, what is the best way to approach Kraus?
In general I am very interested in the realm of the Swedish Baroque! A small niche for sure....
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

SonicMan46

Quote from: Moonfish on May 31, 2014, 02:48:03 PM

In general I am very interested in the realm of the Swedish Baroque! A small niche for sure....

Hi again Peter - hope that you visited and read some of the opening posts of this thread, e.g. several of the ones I left discuss Kraus and his origins w/ a link to Gurn's old post (BOY, has been a while) - BUT, keep in mind that Kraus was a German who moved to Sweden (kind of like in the previous generation of Handel ending up in London) - he was born the same year as Mozart (1756) and died just a year after Wolfie, i.e. 1792 - hence the name the 'Swedish Mozart', so he was not a Baroque composer at all - NOW, is there Swedish Baroque music - not sure?

Since my last post here, I have about a dozen discs of Kraus' music - what have I added since then:  1) Piano Sonatas on Naxos; 2) Viola Concertos; and 3) Symphonies - 4 volumes on Naxos - let us know what may interest you - I'll be glad to 'spin' my discs since I've not listen to them in a while, and will be interested in others' suggestions - Dave :)

Moonfish

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 31, 2014, 04:25:04 PM
Hi again Peter - hope that you visited and read some of the opening posts of this thread, e.g. several of the ones I left discuss Kraus and his origins w/ a link to Gurn's old post (BOY, has been a while) - BUT, keep in mind that Kraus was a German who moved to Sweden (kind of like in the previous generation of Handel ending up in London) - he was born the same year as Mozart (1756) and died just a year after Wolfie, i.e. 1792 - hence the name the 'Swedish Mozart', so he was not a Baroque composer at all - NOW, is there Swedish Baroque music - not sure?

Since my last post here, I have about a dozen discs of Kraus' music - what have I added since then:  1) Piano Sonatas on Naxos; 2) Viola Concertos; and 3) Symphonies - 4 volumes on Naxos - let us know what may interest you - I'll be glad to 'spin' my discs since I've not listen to them in a while, and will be interested in others' suggestions - Dave :)

Thanks Dave! As far as I know a lot of composers from the continent gravitated towards the court in Stockholm. Gustavus III in particular seemed to have maintained numerous artists to maintain splendor inspired by the French court. One recording I have always enjoyed is one with Johan Helmich Roman (I think he was born in Sweden so he qualifies as a true Swedish baroque composer). I think he deserves a thread!    8)
Johan Roman Thread ------>  http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php?topic=23263.msg805827#msg805827

Here is a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvxdsdtKVpk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvxdsdtKVpk

Several versions are available on Amazon (Naxos is the cheapest and the only one I own). I think you would enjoy Roman's music (actually I am quite sure)

[asin] B003KRARZI[/asin]
[asin] B0000272N0[/asin]
[asin] B000027DLD[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

SonicMan46

Quote from: Moonfish on May 31, 2014, 05:02:58 PM
Thanks Dave! As far as I know a lot of composers from the continent gravitated towards the court in Stockholm. Gustavus III in particular seemed to have maintained numerous artists to maintain splendor inspired by the French court. One recording I have always enjoyed is one with Johan Helmich Roman (I think he was born in Sweden so he qualifies as a true Swedish baroque composer). I think he deserves a thread!    8)
Johan Roman Thread ------>...........

Hi Peter - now, I've heard on Roman but own none of his music so will have to plead ignorance - just checked his Wiki Article - his dates are 1694-1758, so indeed he would fit into the Baroque Era, and from the Wiki comments he is even called the 'Swedish Handel' - SO, I'm hoping that some of our other colleagues will provide comments regarding what may be of interest - Dave :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Moonfish on May 31, 2014, 02:48:03 PM

Naxos has something like 10-12 discs of his works. Pick the one you like and go with it - they are all of a pretty good standard. I have seven of them. I think I like the ballets best.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

SonicMan46

Well, since this Kraus thread has been reactivated, I dragged out my collection of a dozen or so CDs of this composer's music - starting w/ the Symphonies as performed on Naxos by Petter Sundkvist & the Swedish Chamber Orchestra - there are just over a dozen 'extant' symphonies of Kraus virtually all represented on the 4 CDs offered below.  Excellent performances and well recorded - all of these discs have received excellent reviews (see the composite Fanfare ones attached).  I've probably not added to this collection in 4-5 years, so will be curious if others have acquired more recent releases?  Dave :)

Moonfish

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 01, 2014, 10:16:00 AM
Well, since this Kraus thread has been reactivated, I dragged out my collection of a dozen or so CDs of this composer's music - starting w/ the Symphonies as performed on Naxos by Petter Sundkvist & the Swedish Chamber Orchestra - there are just over a dozen 'extant' symphonies of Kraus virtually all represented on the 4 CDs offered below.  Excellent performances and well recorded - all of these discs have received excellent reviews (see the composite Fanfare ones attached).  I've probably not added to this collection in 4-5 years, so will be curious if others have acquired more recent releases?  Dave :)

One can always count on Naxos!!!    :D
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Kraus: Symphonies      Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment/Halstead

Just listened to this excellent recording of some of Kraus's pieces. It was indeed very enjoyable and in great sound. It makes me interested in exploring some of the Naxos releases that Dave posted previously.   The music is overall very dramatic. This cd is a compilation that covers selections from Kraus's 1781-92 compositions. Recommended!

Anna Lappé

SonicMan46

TTT!  Nearly 6 years since the last post here!  Just finished listening to my dozen or so Kraus CDs and have not added much at all to my collection of the 'Swedish Mozart' - but yesterday, I left a post in the listening thread, quoted below w/ a review attachment, for those who may be interested - there are some other KB music releases that I perused on Amazon and Presto, but hard to beat Brautigam and his Paul McNulty replica fortepiano, IMO (and those of the reviewers).

New additions for me?  I did purchase a 'used' CD of the Violin Concerto on the Amazon MP for just six bucks (USD) - also, listened to the String Quartets on Spotify this morning w/ the Salagon Quartet (both CDs below) - the reviews have been mixed (see attachment, if interested), i.e. a rather dismissive one from Fanfare, but far more positive comments from others - will likely just rely on streaming for that one.  Dave :)

QuoteKraus, Joseph Martin (1756-1792) - Piano Music - Jacques Després vs. Ronald Brautigam; the so-called Swedish Mozart's solo keyboard compositions fit on a single disc w/ the two sonatas occupying two-thirds of the time.  Després is playing a modern Hamburg Steinway, while Brautigam is on a reproduction fortepiano by Paul McNulty, 2001, after Walther & Sohn, ca. 1802 - does one need both? 

Attached are a half dozen reviews, three each per performer w/ a scathing attack from Dubins regarding both the quality of Kraus' composing for a keyboard and the attempt by Després to 'save' the music!  I believe he again went 'overboard' in his review - to my ears the recording is much better (as is evident from others assessing the same performance) - HOWEVER, the reviewers seem to really favor Brautigam, as I do!  Thus, will likely 'cull out' the Naxos recording.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

TTT after a couple of years! 8)

Still own about a dozen discs of JMK w/ some recent additions below since my last posts: 1) String Quartets w/ the Salagon Quartett - 5 works but only one overlap w/ the recording in the middle that is in my collection; reviews and comments left in my previous post; and 2) Complete 'Piano' Works w/ Christian Brembeck on fortepiano and clavichord; of course, duplicates the Brautigam fortepiano CD - if you want a modern piano, then Jacques Després on Naxos is the choice (excellent review on Amazon by Scott Morrison HERE, if interested).  Dave :)