Johann Baptiste Vanhal

Started by snyprrr, June 25, 2009, 12:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

That's awesome Dave, thanks for doing that, I'm going to check my Vanhal collection later and see what I have and perhaps have a listen, it's been awhile.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Leo K. on January 24, 2013, 02:00:03 PM
That's awesome Dave, thanks for doing that, I'm going to check my Vanhal collection later and see what I have and perhaps have a listen, it's been awhile.

Thanks Leo - these are some wonderful compositions & excellent performances; basically, just a few duplicated, SO if you like this composer, then worth trying a few of these CDs - Dave :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 24, 2013, 11:40:09 AM
Well, due to reactivation of this thread and listening to the 3 discs of his symphonies in my collection, I decided to add the remaining 3 from the Naxos series; so now I own 6 discs of the Symphonies on JB Vanhal (shown @ the bottom for those who may be interested in exploring these works for the first time or expanding an existing collection).

BUT, how much overlap do I now have in this collection of nearly 2 dozen works?  Vanhal wrote over 70 known symphonies (and probably many more not known, published, or yet found?); these works have been categorized by Dr. Paul Bryan (hence the B lettering/numbers) in his PhD musicology dissertation  at the University of Michigan in 1956; he also published the book Johann Wanhal, Viennese Symphonist: His Life and His Musical Environment (Thematic Catalogues) in 1997, which is listed for $95 on Amazon - might look for a copy locally.

So, I quickly put together a spreadsheet on Google Drive and took a screen shot (shown immediately below) - the symphonies w/ their Bryan numbers are alphabetized in the first column; the 6 CDs that I own in the following columns w/ an asterisk indicating the presence of a work on a given disc - surprisingly, just 2 duplications.  Hope this might be of use other 'Vanhallites'!  Dave :)

Great work! I had sort of figured out that there wasn't much overlap and so went ahead with the Naxos as well, but it is nice to see in black and white! He never fails to lighten my mood.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

SonicMan46

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 24, 2013, 06:57:14 PM
Great work! I had sort of figured out that there wasn't much overlap and so went ahead with the Naxos as well, but it is nice to see in black and white! He never fails to lighten my mood.

Hi Neal - just left a post in the 'Listening Thread' for you to check here and you already did!  :D  What amazes me is that w/ 6 CDs of these symphonies recorded, there is almost NO overlap - hmmm - me thinks that these companies must track what is recorded and then try to pick other works - just wondering?  Dave :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 24, 2013, 07:14:12 PM
Hi Neal - just left a post in the 'Listening Thread' for you to check here and you already did!  :D  What amazes me is that w/ 6 CDs of these symphonies recorded, there is almost NO overlap - hmmm - me thinks that these companies must track what is recorded and then try to pick other works - just wondering?  Dave :)
Maybe Naxos did when they picked which symphonies to record (perhaps only doubling a few they thought more popular)? In any case, it is hard to make sense of what is left. The Orfeo disc looks like 100% overlap, but  I cannot tell with the the others. But I do hope someone will continue to record the remaining pieces, though I fear it may be some time before anyone does.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

calyptorhynchus

There are a couple of versions of Vanhal's Concerto for Two Bassoons and orchestra on YouTube. I've been listening to one of them, it's a wonderful work, and quite substantial (25 mins).

I couldn't help smiling at certain passages, however, as I remembered the Ryme of the Ancient Mariner

The wedding guest then beat his breast,
For he heard the loud bassoon.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

SonicMan46

Vanhal TTT! after a 6 year hiatus - back then I posted the 6 'Symphony' discs owned; now evaluating my collection (probably not since then!) - below are the remaining discs, so up to 14 - believe my last purchase according to Amazon records was the 'Late String Quartets' in 2013 - wow how time flies!

Looking on Amazon and PrestoMusic today, there seems to be some other considerations - there are a few 'period instrument' performances but difficult to find reviews - SO, curious if others have gotten into Vanhal - what's new and worth buying?  Thanks for any comments.  Dave :)

Que

Thanks for rekindling this thread, Dave.  :)
Indeed, the time flies... and there is too little of it...

I never got into Vanhal. But this afternoon I'll try to find this interesting looking recording on Spotify:

71 dB

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 06, 2020, 08:12:17 PM
Vanhal TTT! after a 6 year hiatus - back then I posted the 6 'Symphony' discs owned; now evaluating my collection (probably not since then!) - below are the remaining discs, so up to 14 - believe my last purchase according to Amazon records was the 'Late String Quartets' in 2013 - wow how time flies!

Looking on Amazon and PrestoMusic today, there seems to be some other considerations - there are a few 'period instrument' performances but difficult to find reviews - SO, curious if others have gotten into Vanhal - what's new and worth buying?  Thanks for any comments.  Dave :)

Of the 8 CDs you posted I have these two. I also have four other Naxos discs: Symphonies volumes 1 & 2, Missa Pastoralis/Solemnis and Three Violin Concertos. My first Vanhal disc was the BIS disc of Sinfonias and Double Bassoon Concerto. It's good.

Vanhal is a fine composers, but I never got into him obsessively. I prefer Dittersdorf especially with sinfonias. The Hyperion Vanhal/Dittersdorf dics has bassy muddy sound if I remember correctly. The Naxos disc of Flute Quartets is very nice imo and I recommend it.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on June 07, 2020, 01:04:06 AM
Thanks for rekindling this thread, Dave.  :)
Indeed, the time flies... and there is too little of it...

I never got into Vanhal. But this afternoon I'll try to find this interesting looking recording on Spotify:

Que - listened to the above this morning - enjoyable but not quite 'Piano Quintets' w/ all instruments participating - see the MusicWeb Review for more details - Spanyi performs on a fortepiano replica built by Chris Maene in 2003 after Anton Walter.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: 71 dB on June 07, 2020, 03:11:18 AM
Of the 8 CDs you posted I have these two. I also have four other Naxos discs: Symphonies volumes 1 & 2, Missa Pastoralis/Solemnis and Three Violin Concertos. My first Vanhal disc was the BIS disc of Sinfonias and Double Bassoon Concerto. It's good.

Vanhal is a fine composers, but I never got into him obsessively. I prefer Dittersdorf especially with sinfonias. The Hyperion Vanhal/Dittersdorf dics has bassy muddy sound if I remember correctly. The Naxos disc of Flute Quartets is very nice imo and I recommend it.

Hi Poju - over the years, I've grown fonder of the 'Double Bass Concertos' recording, and probably enjoy Dittersdorf's works more - agree that the sound seemed softer and the bassist was in the background, which improved by turning up the volume - attached are some good to excellent reviews; apparently, Chi-Chi Nwanoku is a well respected bassist in England - I do like the combination of the two composers and cannot find another similar one to compare?  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Well, I was interested in adding a 'few' discs to my Vanhal collection and have been on Spotify which has quite a lot of recordings to offer - happy w/ my Symphonies & String Quartets, so wanted to add 'something' different - purchased the first three below from PrestoMusic and had to do a MP3 DL on the last one - these all sounded excellent to me by streaming.  Dave :)

71 dB

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 07, 2020, 10:07:12 AM
Hi Poju - over the years, I've grown fonder of the 'Double Bass Concertos' recording, and probably enjoy Dittersdorf's works more - agree that the sound seemed softer and the bassist was in the background, which improved by turning up the volume - attached are some good to excellent reviews; apparently, Chi-Chi Nwanoku is a well respected bassist in England - I do like the combination of the two composers and cannot find another similar one to compare?  Dave :)

Well Dave I try to revisit that 'Double Bass Concertos' dics in the near future...  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SonicMan46

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 07, 2020, 10:17:34 AM
Well, I was interested in adding a 'few' discs to my Vanhal collection and have been on Spotify which has quite a lot of recordings to offer - happy w/ my Symphonies & String Quartets, so wanted to add 'something' different - purchased the first three below from PrestoMusic and had to do a MP3 DL on the last one - these all sounded excellent to me by streaming.  Dave :)

The three 'new' CDs above arrived today from 'across the pond' - all enjoyable and add other aspects of Vanhal's compositions to my collection - reviews are attached for those interested.  Dave :)

calyptorhynchus

I see Naxos are releasing a fifth disk of Vanhal symphonies in February.  :)
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

SonicMan46

Vanhal Symphonies spreadsheet updated w/ addition of Naxos V. 5 - nearly 10 years ago in this thread, I posted a spreadsheet w/ the 6 discs that I owned of Vanhal symphonies using the Bryan catalog - post is quoted below w/ these alterations: 1) Spreadsheet has been updated w/ the newest Naxos volume (no overlaps occurred) and 2) Cover image of V. 5 has been added - there are now 25 works listed (only 2 overlaps) - as stated below there are likely 70-100+ symphonies composed, so plenty is missing.  Dave :)

P.S. I just checked on Amazon and other recordings are available but there is majority overlap in most of these offerings; so, these 7 CDs shown below offer pretty much what is available. 

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 24, 2013, 11:40:09 AM
BUT, how much overlap do I now have in this collection of nearly 2 dozen works?  Vanhal wrote over 70 known symphonies (and probably many more not known, published, or yet found?); these works have been categorized by Dr. Paul Bryan (hence the B lettering/numbers) in his PhD musicology dissertation  at the University of Michigan in 1956; he also published the book Johann Wanhal, Viennese Symphonist: His Life and His Musical Environment (Thematic Catalogues) in 1997, which is listed for $95 on Amazon - might look for a copy locally.

So, I quickly put together a spreadsheet on Google Drive and took a screen shot (shown immediately below) - the symphonies w/ their Bryan numbers are alphabetized in the first column; the 6 CDs that I own in the following columns w/ an asterisk indicating the presence of a work on a given disc - surprisingly, just 2 duplications.  Hope this might be of use other 'Vanhallites'!  Dave :)

Spenserian

Mine looks similar (although it has some mistakes):

afbeelding-2022-07-17-130307130" border="0

Note there is an A major symphony that I didn't know the Bryan number of. It's on this disc:

Turns out it's his Symphony in A major, Op. 16/2, Bryan A2 (just found it on Amazon track listing). So one more symphony to add!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Spenserian on July 17, 2022, 03:08:48 AM
Mine looks similar (although it has some mistakes):

afbeelding-2022-07-17-130307130" border="0   

Note there is an A major symphony that I didn't know the Bryan number of. It's on this disc:

Turns out it's his Symphony in A major, Op. 16/2, Bryan A2 (just found it on Amazon track listing). So one more symphony to add!

Thanks Spenserian for the addition - I have the Naxos Vol. 5 coming from JPC 'across the pond', so with 7 discs I should be happy -  :laugh:  Dave

calyptorhynchus

There's also an Orfeo disc, Philharmonisches Kammerorchester München, Michael Helmrath, but its content is duplicated in those others you listed.