RIP Michael Jackson!!?

Started by маразм1, June 25, 2009, 02:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

QuoteI'm sure I still have my dusty cassette of  Thriller  somewhere on my shelf.

No doubt.

QuoteStill can't figure out what was the big deal with this artist.

No doubt.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Dr. Dread

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Christo

Quote from: Greg on June 25, 2009, 02:36:40 PM
At first, I thought this was a joke.

Some still hold to that opinion.  :-\
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

AB68

I was a big fan of MJ in the 80's when I was a teenager. I read today that the album Thriller sold 109 million copies... that is unbelievable and a record that will never be beaten.
Even though I am not into his music today I have no problem seing that he was a groundbreaking artist in many ways.
RIP Michael.

Lethevich

Well, somebody had to say it. An individual interviewed on the news came out with the inevitable proclamation of:

THE DAY MUSIC DIED
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Dr. Dread

I thought it died in 1827.  ???

:P

karlhenning

Quote from: Lethe on June 26, 2009, 09:55:53 AM
Well, somebody had to say it. An individual interviewed on the news came out with the inevitable proclamation of:

THE DAY MUSIC DIED

I resent that.

Quote from: MN Dave on June 26, 2009, 10:00:56 AM
I thought it died in 1827.  ???

>:(
;D

(Many as Beethoven's admirers were, none of them thought "music had died" with him. Which puts the current hyperventilations into cool perspective.)

Joe Barron

The jokes have started:

Farrah Fawcett dies and goes to heaven. St. Peter meets her at the gates. He tells her she has led a good life, and God will grant her a wish for the sake of anyone she has left behind on earth.
"All I want," Farrah says, "is for all the children of the world to live in peace and be safe."
Three hours later, Michael Jackson dies.

Joe_Campbell

;D ;D I feel awful for laughing, but that's hilarious!

Joe Barron

Quote from: 71 dB on June 26, 2009, 08:16:12 AM
100+ million albums sold makes him a BIG deal.

I've always believed that the quoting of sales figures is the refuge of the talentless. The first thing Celine Dion or Barry Manilow will tell you is how many albums they've sold worldwide, as though it somehow validates what they do. It's different with jackson, since his best music was pretty funky. Problem is, he hasn't done anything of note in twenty years.  I honestly have to say, this story leaves me unmoved.

imperfection

Quote from: Joe Barron on June 26, 2009, 10:49:51 AM
I've always believed that the quoting of sales figures is the refuge of the talentless. The first thing Celine Dion or Barry Manilow will tell you is how many albums they've sold worldwide, as though it somehow validate what they do. It's differnt with jackson, since his best music was pretty funky. Problem is, he hasn't done anything of note in twenty years.  I honestly have to say, this story leaves me unmoved.

It's almost like McDonalds insisting that what they sell are gourmet food, justifying the claim with their annual net profit.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: imperfection on June 26, 2009, 11:43:26 AM
It's almost like McDonalds insisting that what they sell are gourmet food, justifying the claim with their annual net profit.

:D

Christo

Quote from: imperfection on June 26, 2009, 11:43:26 AM

Who's McDonalds? Who's this Michael Jackson anyway?  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Christo on June 26, 2009, 12:33:44 PM
Who's McDonalds? Who's this Michael Jackson anyway?  ::)

Welcome, sir, to planet Earth.

CD

People die. Still, it's hard to grasp the reality of it -- this person who basically existed only on television, magazines and radio. Once they're dead you're sort of forced to realize that "this was an actual person that existed", even though he and his life tended to be something of a cartoon.

Joe_Campbell

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 26, 2009, 08:33:39 AM
No doubt.

No doubt.
I don't get it. You're poking fun at TPH for liking MJ, and poking fun at JdP for not liking him? :P :)