Very rare Cage video and performance

Started by 12tone., June 02, 2007, 10:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12tone.

Here's a seemingly very rare video of a young John Cage at a show where he performs one of his own works on air.

Interesting video. 

Bogey

I actually found it engaging once I was able to tune out the laughter of some of the audience members....thank you for the link.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Black Knight

That was actually pretty cool if it was not for the laughter coming from the audience. I don't see how it would work on a recording though, without the visual addition to the piece that a live performance benefits from.

greg

that was cool!  ;D
the visual part of him doing all that was the most interesting, especially when he shoves the toasters off the table  :D

i'd like to hear a recording by itself, without audience laughter. I can say that I always have liked the sound of piano strings rustling in a low cluster, but having stuff like a rubber ducky squeak doesn't make sense to me.

The Mad Hatter

Well, I really don't think that he could have written a piece like that without being aware of the humour in it - probably why he elected to do that particular one for the show.

Very enjoyable video, though, thanks.

bwv 1080

I am sure Cage appreciated the humor and audience reaction.

Great video thanks for posting it

jfmac

Not sure he didn't think the laughter was part of the performance. Wasn't he big on ambient sound?

karlhenning

And, he had a sense of humor, and knew better than to suppose that his performances would receive unalloyed sympathy (much of the time).

not edward

Quote from: karlhenning on June 04, 2007, 04:48:36 PM
And, he had a sense of humor, and knew better than to suppose that his performances would receive unalloyed sympathy (much of the time).
... and this is one of the most misunderstood aspects of Cage. He was by no means always a frivolous composer but he often addressed artistic issues (sometimes serious ones) in a humorous way. I don't think all of what he did is successful in musical terms, but it's usually interesting.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

BachQ

oyasumi

He watered a plant in a bathtub. It's supposed to be funny.

karlhenning

Quote from: oyasumi on June 05, 2007, 09:25:21 AM

Who cares about the sonics, he owns the piece.

greg

not edward

Quote from: oyasumi on June 05, 2007, 09:25:21 AM
Indeed, it is. But the other point of the piece (I think) is that there is something genuinely musical hidden behind the surface absurdity.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Guido

I really liked it. My feeling was that the audience was laughing because they didn't knowhow else to react. They were laughing even at non-funny parts (like every action, when not all of them were all that funny). Even if you don't appreciate it as music the actions might make you smile, but I doubt belly laugh in the same way that the audience did... I suppose they lived in a different time, but that was my impression.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

George

Thanks very much for that, 12 Tone!  :D

As for the audiences noise, Cage surely would have said that it was "part of the performance." Just as it is in 4' 33"

The Mad Hatter

Quote from: George on June 05, 2007, 01:13:21 PM
Thanks very much for that, 12 Tone!  :D

As for the audiences noise, Cage surely would have said that it was "part of the performance." Just as it is in 4' 33"

Well it filled in a lot of the silence that would have been filled otherwise by radios. (which would just have transmitted static in a TV studio anyhow)

George

I bet, without a radio, Cage could listen to "music" all day long.  :D

greg

Quote from: George on June 06, 2007, 09:34:55 AM
I bet, without a radio, Cage could listen to "music" all day long.  :D
we all are, all the time. It's just that most of it sucks, so we rely on other people to make music we like for us.  ;)