Viva Vivaldi!

Started by Que, June 03, 2007, 12:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on June 10, 2007, 12:26:28 AM

On another note: this is one of my first "out of the ordinary" Vivaldi discs.
Still nice, but in retrospect it could do with a bit higher voltage.

Any recommendations for a recording with a bit more spice?
(Especially the opus 1/XII "La Folia" (RV 63))

I remember Giardino armonico has this "Folia" in their "Famosi concerti da camera" album,
and it is a flabbergastingly volatile performance. 

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Que

Another recommendation - Sheer delight. The Orchestra Barocca Zefiro, with eminent instumentalists like clarinetist Erich Hoeprich and violinist Stefano Montanari, sounds full of character. Especially gorgeous woodwinds! :)

SAMPLES HERE

Q

Concerto for 2 clarinets, 2 oboes, strings & continuo in C major, RV 559
Bassoon Concerto, for bassoon, strings & continuo in A minor, RV 497
Concerto for 2 violins, 2 recorders, 2 oboes, bassoon, strings & continuo in D minor, RV 566
Double Oboe Concerto for 2 oboes, strings & continuo in C major, RV 534
Double Concerto, for violin & oboe, strings & continuo in B flat major, RV 548
Oboe Concerto, for oboe, strings & continuo in D minor, Op. 8/9, RV 454
Concerto for 2 clarinets, 2 oboes, strings & continuo in C major, RV 560

Performed by Orchestra Barocca Zefiro
with Alfredo Bernardini

karlhenning

Ritornello is a formal term, for a passage which comes back repeatedly, and which, in the case of a concerto grosso Allegro, is generally going to be played by the accompanying ensemble.

bhodges

One of my favorites is this extremely fast recording of the Gloria by Alessandrini.  One friend pointed out passages that sound like a banjo has somehow crept into the instrumental mix.  ;D

--Bruce

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on June 15, 2007, 10:07:21 AM
Ritornello is a formal term, for a passage which comes back repeatedly, and which, in the case of a concerto grosso Allegro, is generally going to be played by the accompanying ensemble.

That's the way I understand it... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

FideLeo

Quote from: karlhenning on June 15, 2007, 10:07:21 AM

Retornelli also appear in slow movements - Bach comes to mind - and in baroque opera arias since Monteverdi's days!  As I stated above, the accompanying ensemble is called the repieno or simply concerto grosso.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

FideLeo

Vivaldi's double and triple concertos are often more fun to listen than his solo concertos, and here's a proof.  :)

SimonGodders

Quote from: Que on June 03, 2007, 12:19:40 AM
Some recommendations on basic Vivaldi repertoire.

Ideal starters' kit: cheap and beautiful (3 CD).

My starter kit arrived today - bargain!
:)

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on June 15, 2007, 09:31:40 PM
My starter kit arrived today - bargain!
:)

He's an incredible violinist, I must keep my eye out for that one!  :)

George

Got this one yesterday!

Gurn Blanston

I like that one, George, I think you will too. Although I must say, the decision to make an entire work into a single track only adds to its uniqueness... IOW, not sure I like the idea, but what the heck, it listens the same and that's what counts. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

George

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 17, 2007, 06:27:37 AM
I like that one, George, I think you will too. Although I must say, the decision to make an entire work into a single track only adds to its uniqueness... IOW, not sure I like the idea, but what the heck, it listens the same and that's what counts. :)

8)

Yes I am enjoying it as we speak. Nice recording and performance. I like the energy here. I am sure Que will approve as well.  :)

Bunny

Quote from: George on June 17, 2007, 05:48:00 AM
Got this one yesterday!

That's a good one, and also included in the Anner Bijlsma Anniversary Edition box set. ;D

FideLeo

ANOTHER recording of Vivaldi's beautiful cello sonatas:

Given the quality of these cello sonatas, it is regrettable that Prete Rosso never seemed to have written any sonata for the bassoon since it would have been great music as well.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: masolino on June 17, 2007, 07:28:36 AM

Given the quality of these cello sonatas, it is regrettable that Prete Rosso never seemed to have written any sonata for the bassoon since it would have been great music as well.

Certainly agree with that. In fact, I think it is regrettable that so few composers in general composed sonatas for bassoon. Even though bassoonists can play cello sonatas, they lack the idiom of a true bassoon work... :-\

8)

FideLeo

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 17, 2007, 07:37:50 AM
Certainly agree with that. In fact, I think it is regrettable that so few composers in general composed sonatas for bassoon. Even though bassoonists can play cello sonatas, they lack the idiom of a true bassoon work... :-\

8)

Yes...and sometimes bad arrangements are a pain to play  :-[

Back to Vivaldi and cello, I do think Wispelwey bettered his teacher (Bijsma) in Vivaldi concertos.  Also, it is as if Wispelwey wasn't entirely happy with the existing cello concertos; he had several single-movements from violin concertos arranged to be played on the cello in this recording.  Very convincing results imo.  The outstanding continuo work, which is a trademark of the ensemble Florilegium, works wonder here as time and again it enhances the deep-voiced sonorities of the solo instrument.  Channel Classics offers, as usual, first-rate sound engineering.

George

Quote from: masolino on June 17, 2007, 07:43:58 AM
Back to Vivaldi and cello, I do think Wispelwey bettered his teacher (Bijsma) in Vivaldi concertos.  Also, it is as if Wispelwey wasn't entirely happy with the existing cello concertos; he had several single-movements from violin concertos arranged to be played on the cello in this recording.  Very convincing results imo.  The outstanding continuo work, which is a trademark of the ensemble Florilegium, works wonder here as time and again it enhances the deep-throated sonorities of the solo instrument.  Channel Classics offers, as usual, first-rate sound engineering.

I am not surprised to hear that. I think I might even like Wispelwey's way  ;D with Bach Cello Suites more than Bylsma's.

FideLeo

Quote from: George on June 17, 2007, 09:30:54 AM
I am not surprised to hear that. I think I might even like Wispelwey's way  ;D with Bach Cello Suites more than Bylsma's.

Honestly I think there is more variety in Wispelwey's approach to just about anything I have heard where Bijsma also recorded an interpretation.  If that variety is of a desirable kind, though, will depend on the listener's taste.
For some people's temperament, "Wispelwey's way" ;) can be a touch too animated.

Grazioso

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Que

Quote from: masolino on June 17, 2007, 07:17:43 AM
A recording of Vivaldi's Cello SONATAS:

It's raining recommendations of Vivaldi's cello sonatas!  ;D
I sampled this one, the Coin/Hogwood and the Wispelwey and I was particularly impressed by this issue on Alpha.
Though, methodological buyer as I am, I noticed that neither has the complete sonatas (seems three were rediscovered a few years ago?). I've come across this new issue on Naïve and saw some positive comments on it.
Is this recording familiar to anyone? (And yes, I know that Ophélie looks charming - but please let's talk music... 8))

Click picture for samples

Quote from: masolino on June 17, 2007, 10:04:19 AM
Honestly I think there is more variety in Wispelwey's approach to just about anything I have heard where Bijlsma also recorded an interpretation.  If that variety is of a desirable kind, though, will depend on the listener's taste. For some people's temperament, "Wispelwey's way" ;) can be a touch too animated.

I'm generally more a Bijlsma man!  :)  IMO Wispelwey is sometimes prone to "big" gestures and then swoops over the nitty gritty of the music. But it depends: I prefer Wispelwey's Brahms sonatas to Bijlsma's for instance. I feel neither of them is a natural in Italian music btw.

Q