Viva Vivaldi!

Started by Que, June 03, 2007, 12:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewski

For anyone interested, here's an article I wrote for WRTI on Juditha Triumphans, the Vivaldi oratorio about Judith and Holofernes, which is being performed next week by Tempesta di Mare in Philadelphia. Writing about Vivaldi and early music is a bit off my usual beat, but I'm quite pleased with how it came out.

Looking forward to hearing the performance, too.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

ritter

Very interesting article, Bruce!

Not on the same level, of course, but Vivaldi is off my usual best as well, and by pure coincidence I listened to some music of his today, for the first time in many years.  :)

brewski

Quote from: ritter on March 07, 2024, 11:36:27 AMVery interesting article, Bruce!

Not on the same level, of course, but Vivaldi is off my usual as well, and by pure coincidence I listened to some music of his today, for the first time in many years.  :)

Thank you, and...Gloria! I will check out that recording, since that was one of the first Vivaldi pieces that I really loved. My go-to has been Rinaldo Alessandrini's lightning version, but I'd love to hear this one, too.

-Bruce

ritter

Quote from: brewski on March 07, 2024, 12:23:38 PMThank you, and...Gloria! I will check out that recording, since that was one of the first Vivaldi pieces that I really loved. My go-to has been Rinaldo Alessandrini's lightning version, but I'd love to hear this one, too.

-Bruce
Brace yourself for that one, Bruce! The chorus sound as if they were in Nabucco, not singing Vivaldi;D

brewski

Quote from: ritter on March 07, 2024, 12:28:35 PMBrace yourself for that one, Bruce! The chorus sound as if they were in Nabucco, not singing Vivaldi;D

Nabucco  ;D  ;D  ;D

-Bruce

Brian

Just got an email that Navona Records will be releasing the first-ever complete cycle of all Vivaldi's piccolo concertos. Someone has to be interested in that, right?  ;D

Todd

Quote from: Brian on May 07, 2024, 06:38:51 AMSomeone has to be interested in that, right?

Anna Leigh Waters is ecstatic. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Quote from: Brian on May 07, 2024, 06:38:51 AMJust got an email that Navona Records will be releasing the first-ever complete cycle of all Vivaldi's piccolo concertos. Someone has to be interested in that, right?  ;D

Well this is interesting.
Amazon lists two different CDs of "the piccolo concertos" conducted by Rampal but filled out by other couplings. There are only 4 concertos.

And this one

And this one which uses recorders

Plus one on BIS that is titled "The Three Piccolo Concertos" and is filled out by a Bach Overture.
And I seem to remember a Naxos CD. So what does this one have that the others don't?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on May 07, 2024, 02:11:13 PMWell this is interesting. Amazon lists two different CDs of "the piccolo concertos" conducted by Rampal but filled out by other couplings. There are only 4 concertos.
In an era when it may have partly been a novelty, Lenny recorded RV 443 in C.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

After further digging [this is what happens when I don't have enough chores to do on my day off] it seems Brian missed the operative phrase
QuoteJennifer Bouton's VIVALDI PICCOLO CONCERTOS is the first complete recording of the concerti by an American piccoloist.

Ms. Bouton recorded the three concertos RV443-445, but not the flute concerto Rampal/Beaumadier recorded. In partial compensation there is a transcription of a Paganini caprice. It must be a very short CD, under 40 minutes.

CD image

Link to the item page at the Navona website.
https://www.navonarecords.com/catalog/nv6618/

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Spenserian

I was quite fascinated to hear of a bassoonist who sleeps with the scores of the Vivaldi bassoon concertos next to him in a BBC radio 3 interview with Susan Orlando of the Naive Vivaldi edition, but it has made me wonder if anyone can recommend recordings of the concertos? I have only the Naive Vivaldi edition ones, it turns out, whereas I have duplicates of other concertos.

Florestan

Quote from: Spenserian on May 10, 2024, 06:44:34 AMI was quite fascinated to hear of a bassoonist who sleeps with the scores of the Vivaldi bassoon concertos next to him in a BBC radio 3 interview with Susan Orlando of the Naive Vivaldi edition, but it has made me wonder if anyone can recommend recordings of the concertos? I have only the Naive Vivaldi edition ones, it turns out, whereas I have duplicates of other concertos.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

DavidW

I've been inspired to give these concertos a fresh listen.  I chose

Madiel

I was always under the impression that the Naive Vivaldi series was highly regarded for the bassoon concertos.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Spenserian

Oh yes, the Naive are very good, but I love comparing in Vivaldi, some really go at it differently. I've placed an order for the Dervaux and the complete Daniel Smith set thank you!