Viva Vivaldi!

Started by Que, June 03, 2007, 12:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SurprisedByBeauty

Oh, I really think you'll love it. You can enjoy a few more (audio) teasers here: http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2018/07/1010-on-classicstoday-vivaldi-bagpipes.html

And the restriction on reading those reviews in full, you'll be happy to know, can be easily rectified at the cost of two-and-a-half Grande-Venti Mango-Soy Latte Moccachinos from a major chain selling innovative beverages.  ;D  0:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on August 04, 2018, 02:00:56 AM
Oh, I really think you'll love it. You can enjoy a few more (audio) teasers here: http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2018/07/1010-on-classicstoday-vivaldi-bagpipes.html

And the restriction on reading those reviews in full, you'll be happy to know, can be easily rectified at the cost of two-and-a-half Grande-Venti Mango-Soy Latte Moccachinos from a major chain selling innovative beverages.  ;D  0:)

I'll send them a gift card... :D

Question: That's a real musette, yes? Not just metaphoric 'bagpipe' drone played on a violin. I have seen many references to a musette in French and Italian music of that period but have never heard an actual, AFAIK. I had to look it up 15 years ago to see what the hell it was!   :) Nice!

I see Amazon have it: in my basket it goes!

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

"Designer coffee," or Vivaldi ... the choice is obvious!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wakefield

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on August 03, 2018, 10:45:39 AM
Latest on ClassicsToday:

First "10/10" review of mine for @ClassicsToday goes to "Vivaldi for drunken Sailors" w/ @MusSaintJulien on @alpha_classics:

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/vivaldi-bagpipes-and-drunken-sailors/ ...
[INSIDER]

That Lazarevitch is a beast! Recently, I was listening to his disk of Telemann's 12 fantasias for solo flute, and it's a delightful disk. And, just for the record, due to the nature of the music, it's not usually easy to walk with the performer through a complete disk.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gordo on August 04, 2018, 08:53:25 AM
That Lazarevitch is a beast! Recently, I was listening to his disk of Telemann's 12 fantasias for solo flute, and it's a delightful disk. And, just for the record, due to the nature of the music, it's not usually easy to walk with the performer through a complete disk.

At the risk of pounding into Telemann (which, at least, would not necessarily be bad form, in a Vivaldi thread....) no, I should not willingly endure an entire disk of Telemann. (FWIW, I can listen to an entire disk of Vivaldi as easily as eat a plate of carrot sticks.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Wakefield

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 04, 2018, 09:56:18 AM
At the risk of pounding into Telemann (which, at least, would not necessarily be bad form, in a Vivaldi thread....) no, I should not willingly endure an entire disk of Telemann. (FWIW, I can listen to an entire disk of Vivaldi as easily as eat a plate of carrot sticks.)

I have never had any problem to listen to in one sitting several disks devoted to any of them. Although Vivaldi is, of course, one of my most beloved composers, joint with Bach, Haydn Schubert (what a mixture, isn't it?).

Just today I have listened to two times the CD4 from the Federico Guglielmo's box set devoted to Vivaldi (BC), wich includes the second part of the violin sonatas Op. 2 [12 Sonate a Violino e Basso per il Cembalo, Venice, 1709, world premiere recording authorised by and based on the critical edition by Federico Maria Sardelli]. 

About Telemann: Coincidentally, these last weeks I have heard one time and again the "Parisian Quartets" recorded by the wonderful ensemble The Age of Passions... Superb disks, IMO, and an addictive activity, too.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 04, 2018, 05:50:30 AM
I'll send them a gift card... :D

Question: That's a real musette, yes? Not just metaphoric 'bagpipe' drone played on a violin. I have seen many references to a musette in French and Italian music of that period but have never heard an actual, AFAIK. I had to look it up 15 years ago to see what the hell it was!   :) Nice!

I see Amazon have it: in my basket it goes!

8)

Oh, that's a real musette, alright!  ;D :laugh: If the resulting dissonances don't make your toes curl upward (in the good sense, naturally!), I don't know what will! (Note: Musette only in the one concerto of the 4 seasons that was actually transcribed for it. The recorder for the rest.  Did you hear the samples on ionarts?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gordo on August 04, 2018, 11:19:15 AM
I have never had any problem to listen to in one sitting several disks devoted to any of them. Although Vivaldi is, of course, one of my most beloved composers, joint with Bach, Haydn Schubert (what a mixture, isn't it?).

Just today I have listened to two times the CD4 from the Federico Guglielmo's box set devoted to Vivaldi (BC), wich includes the second part of the violin sonatas Op. 2 [12 Sonate a Violino e Basso per il Cembalo, Venice, 1709, world premiere recording authorised by and based on the critical edition by Federico Maria Sardelli]. 

About Telemann: Coincidentally, these last weeks I have heard one time and again the "Parisian Quartets" recorded by the wonderful ensemble The Age of Passions... Superb disks, IMO, and an addictive activity, too.  :)

Note taken.  I should try the Telemann disk in the Hantaï box, for starters.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on August 04, 2018, 11:27:28 AM
Oh, that's a real musette, alright!  ;D :laugh: If the resulting dissonances don't make your toes curl upward (in the good sense, naturally!), I don't know what will! (Note: Musette only in the one concerto of the 4 seasons that was actually transcribed for it. The recorder for the rest.  Did you hear the samples on ionarts?

Yes, they were great sounding. That's when I went to Amazon! The slow movement of the Flute Concerto (excerpt 4) is especially haunting.

I have a cpo disk with a Dresden arrangement of TFS for winds. It is very nice, but it doesn't have the extra bite provided by these folks! It really is quite special!  0:)

8)

JBS

Double trouble from Dantone and Delphine

Volumes 59 and 60
[asin]B07QXMRXJR[/asin]
[asin]B07R328CNK[/asin]

[What? This is the first post on this thread in 366 days?]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: JBS on August 05, 2019, 04:16:32 PM

Volumes 59 and 60
[asin]B07QXMRXJR[/asin]
[asin]B07R328CNK[/asin]

Hard to imagine!  Well, meantime, I have both of those disks, highly commendable. Galou has a very flexible voice, ideal for both these sacred and profane works. And Academia Byzantina/Dantone are excellent as always.

8)

JBS

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 06, 2019, 04:43:54 AM
Hard to imagine!  Well, meantime, I have both of those disks, highly commendable. Galou has a very flexible voice, ideal for both these sacred and profane works. And Academia Byzantina/Dantone are excellent as always.

8)

I should have known you already have them!

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Gurn Blanston

calyptorhynchus

I've just discovered RV335 "Il rossinguolo" (The Nightingale), a delightful violin concerto where the soloist with incredible virtuosity mimicks a nightingale for 10 minutes!

(The concerto was very popular in in England in the C18 where is acquired the name 'the Cuckoo' because, I suppose, in the opening violin statement there are a couple of descending thirds or fourths which sound like a Cuckoo. However, European Cuckoos, not being passerines, don't sing, and pretty much all they call is 'Cuckoo'.)

Anyway, Wikipedia tells me this concerto may not be by Vivaldi, but also points out there is RV335a, a version with a different slow movement. It then tells me that RV518 (a double violin concerto attributed to Vivaldi but actually by Johan Helmich Roman) is also based on RV335. I can't find any recording of this work (518). Does anyone know if it has ever been recorded? Thanks
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 08, 2019, 03:47:17 PM
I've just discovered RV335 "Il rossinguolo" (The Nightingale), a delightful violin concerto where the soloist with incredible virtuosity mimicks a nightingale for 10 minutes!

(The concerto was very popular in in England in the C18 where is acquired the name 'the Cuckoo' because, I suppose, in the opening violin statement there are a couple of descending thirds or fourths which sound like a Cuckoo. However, European Cuckoos, not being passerines, don't sing, and pretty much all they call is 'Cuckoo'.)

Anyway, Wikipedia tells me this concerto may not be by Vivaldi, but also points out there is RV335a, a version with a different slow movement. It then tells me that RV518 (a double violin concerto attributed to Vivaldi but actually by Johan Helmich Roman) is also based on RV335. I can't find any recording of this work (518). Does anyone know if it has ever been recorded? Thanks

518: the fact that you know enough to attribute it to Roman puts you ahead of me! Here is what is in my Ryom list: 

RV 518   Concerto   A Maj.    Related to RV 355, but of doubtful authenticity.
RV 355   Concerto   a minor   Of questionable authenticity.

And I don't have any recording of it, I wouldn't be surprised if one doesn't exist. Even known authentic works are still being released as 'World Premiere's'.

RV 335/335a entries say:

RV 335   Concerto   A    Walsh #435; related to RV 518, but of doubtful authenticity.
RV 335a   Concerto   A    "Il rosignuolo" 2nd movement different from RV 335.

So, as with so many things Vivaldi, there is quite a tangle. Apparently the idea that 'You know, this movement would sound great in THIS concerto, too' was not a problem for him, nor for others around him. I think it's confusing sometimes when we use words like 'questionable', or even 'authentic'. They are all real, actual concertos from that place and time. The only thing questionable about them is whether they are completely the work of the author we would like them to be by, or of someone else, lost in time.

I DO have a nice recording of 'The Cuckoo' though, by AAM/Manze. It's on a disk with the rarely recorded Opus 6 concertos, so a nice coupling.  :)

8)

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 08, 2019, 05:03:28 PM
The only thing questionable about them is whether they are completely the work of the author we would like them to be by, or of someone else, lost in time.

Which is fairly amusing in the case of Vivaldi, as there was a time when works of his were deliberately attributed to other more popular composers.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Madiel on August 09, 2019, 01:20:52 AM
Which is fairly amusing in the case of Vivaldi, as there was a time when works of his were deliberately attributed to other more popular composers.

Different times, for sure!  Attribution issues were no less common contemporaneously than they are retrospectively. So, amusing, yet troubling... :-\

8)

vers la flamme

I have a few sacred vocal works by Vivaldi in my collection, and I always love coming back to them, especially the Stabat Mater. I have also heard Nisi Dominus RV608 and a short piece called Crucifixus etiam pro nobis RV592.

I'm curious now; where to next with Vivaldi's sacred music? I'd love to hear more! Recommendations for works and recordings alike would be appreciated...  :)

vers la flamme

Quote from: JBS on August 05, 2019, 04:16:32 PM

Volumes 59 and 60
[asin]B07QXMRXJR[/asin]
[asin]B07R328CNK[/asin]

These are both on sale on Qobuz, I will likely get one or the other (or both) after I sample them...