Viva Vivaldi!

Started by Que, June 03, 2007, 12:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

High time that the Vivaldi recommendations thread on old GMG got resurrected!  :)

I will gradually repost some of my own contributions.

Please post your recommendations of recordings of Vivaldi or requests!

Q

Que

Some recommendations on basic Vivaldi repertoire.

Ideal starters' kit: cheap and beautiful (3 CD).

My primary recommendation for the big concertos cycles is with Fabio Biondi.
Note that "Il Cimento" includes the "Four Seasons", buy the whole cycle instead! :)

(Both 2CD sets and cheap as chips...)

Q

FideLeo

Complete concerti da camera recorded by Giardino armonico for Teldec. 
Outrageous but fun, fun, fun!  ;D

An old but good HIP recording of Op. 10 has Frans Bruggen et al.   I mention this because it uses the "chamber concerto" versions wherever available.   So we end up having a recorder and a bassoon in "la Notte" - and that's
super by me.  ;D  On the same disc, Marcello and Piatti oboe cti as performed by good old Bruce Haynes are also very memorable.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Tsaraslondon

This one without a doubt

Beautiful music, exquisitely sung.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Expresso

Quote from: Que on June 03, 2007, 12:19:40 AM
Some recommendations on basic Vivaldi repertoire.

Ideal starters' kit: cheap and beautiful (3 CD).

That's a real bargain, i recommend it too. Very cheap and amazing performance and sound quality.
Also i would recommend Harnoncourt's Gloria.

Has anyone heard the Concertos for the Emperor and for the Prince of Poland (by Manze)?

SimonGodders

Quote from: Que on June 03, 2007, 12:00:25 AM
High time that the Vivaldi recommendations thread on old GMG got resurrected!  :)

I will gradually repost some of my own contributions.

Please post your recommendations of recordings of Vivaldi or requests!

Q

Great idea. I only actually own three Vivaldi CD's :-\ and would like to improve upon that. The Brilliant box certainly looks a good place to start...
:)

Bogey

Thanks for getting this rolling Que.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on June 03, 2007, 04:15:54 AM
Great idea. I only actually own three Vivaldi CD's :-\ and would like to improve upon that. The Brilliant box certainly looks a good place to start...
:)

Indeed! With Carmignola or Biondi, you get exciting, vibrant Baroque. Until them, I had little interest in Baroque music. 

Bogey

Here are some choral pieces that were recommended to me on another thread:

Quote from: val on May 14, 2007, 04:08:30 AM
Some suggestions:

Gloria, by Stephen Preston (a beautiful Choir) (DECCA)

Stabat Mater, with Sara Mingardo and the Concerto Italiano (Musica Sacra vol. I) (OPUS 111).

Nisi Dominus, Motets, by Teresa Berganza and Ros-Marbá (ENSAYO)

Magnificat, Dixit Dominus, by Robert King, vol. I of his sacred music (HYPERION)

Juditha Triumphans, conducted by Negri, not very exciting, but with remarkable soloists: Ameling, Hamari, Finnila.

Quote from: Que on May 14, 2007, 11:37:25 AM
Bill, some favourites. :)

Q

I would also add this:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

This 4 cd set that DavidW sent my way has been a very nice introduction to some of his violin concertos for me, though one may want to supplement the 4 Seasons with another recording:

Right now Amazon has it new for under $11 and you can sample as well.....I have disc 3 spinning as I type. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Vivaldi-Four-Seasons-Cetra-Op/dp/B000090WC7/ref=sr_1_2/102-7134284-2880939?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1180881475&sr=8-2

Mark

Quote from: Drasko on June 03, 2007, 01:40:30 PM

Yes, yes, YES! An absolute MUST! Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end every time I hear Mullova strike those gut strings.

Tsaraslondon

I'll no doubt be shot down in flames, but I rather enjoy this recording of the Four Seasons

Mark

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on June 03, 2007, 02:16:43 PM
I'll no doubt be shot down in flames, but I rather enjoy this recording of the Four Seasons

That's her second shot at it, no? I think I prefer her 1984 performance, based on the parts I've heard of that recording.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Mark on June 03, 2007, 02:19:39 PM
That's her second shot at it, no? I think I prefer her 1984 performance, based on the parts I've heard of that recording.

Yes it is. I prefer it to the first, as this one makes more than a nod towards HIP.

Bogey

Quote from: Mark on June 03, 2007, 02:19:39 PM

Funny thing about this recording is that when you open the Basic Collection (Essential Classical Music) on the GMG, the above Mutter is the first recording you see.  :D

http://www.good-music-guide.com/essential/index.htm

Bogey

And as far as Four Seasons, here is an entire thread from the old GMG that Gurn started.....and all 16 pages are worth the read:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,3958.0.html

hornteacher

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on June 03, 2007, 02:16:43 PM

I wont shoot this one down.  It shouldn't be the only recoding one has of Four Seasons as this is a more liberal interpretation, but it is well recorded and fun, so I like it.

Mark

Quote from: Bogey on June 03, 2007, 02:33:46 PM
And as far as Four Seasons, here is an entire thread from the old GMG that Gurn started.....and all 16 pages are worth the read:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,3958.0.html

And here's another seven pages on the Four Seasons which I started under my old screen name: Your Favourite 'Four Seasons'?

hornteacher

Here's a version of the Seasons that is very well performed and very different sounding.  Jansen uses only one person on a part for every part and the effect is very intimate.