Tarkovsky's Stalker

Started by Wunderhorn, June 01, 2007, 07:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wunderhorn

I saw this film a couple years back and always had admiration for it. Now that I had recently had an opportunity to watch it again I'm still impressed, but not as much. It is a slow and mysterious film. In many ways it is very contemporary though it was made back in '79. It is about 'The Zone', in Russia, a place where something mysterious has happened. 'The Zone' is heavily guarded by the military. Scientist's and politicians sent people into 'The Zone', but they never came back; Since no one has come back, a rumor arose that there is a room in 'The Zone' which can give you anything your heart desires. The men who lead newcomers into that room are called Stalkers.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Well, what can I say. Tarkovsky is my all-time favorite director, and Stalker is my current favorite film of his. I could go on about it for ages, but am too lazy to do so at the moment.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Daverz

I was never able to make it through this movie.  It's based on a novella by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.

http://www.rusf.ru/abs/english/

sidoze

what a horrible box cover. He's still my favourite director even though I haven't seen his films for a while. Have you seen Mirror?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: sidoze on June 02, 2007, 02:02:23 AM
what a horrible box cover.

Agreed. Makes it look like some dumbass sci-fi B movie, rather than the Kafkaesque fantasy it actually is.

Quote from: Daverz on June 02, 2007, 01:11:04 AM
It's based on a novella by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.

Yes, although it is profoundly different. Tarkovsky just lifted the themes from the book for his own purpose, and left everything else.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Norbeone

I've seen it and enjoyed its atmoshere. Though, I think it was a little too long and at times, maybe too "artsy". But still, it's certainly worth watching.

Maciek

Quote from: Norbeone on June 02, 2007, 09:43:12 AM
I've seen it and enjoyed it's atmoshere. Though, I think it was a little too long and at times, maybe too "artsy". But still, it's certainly worth watching.

My thoughts are more or less the same. I like the film but do not love it. Somehow, except for Sacrifice, Tarkovsky never manages to really grasp me...

маразм1

Quote from: sidoze on June 02, 2007, 02:02:23 AM
what a horrible box cover. He's still my favourite director even though I haven't seen his films for a while. Have you seen Mirror?

The mirror is great, and Solaris is spectacular.  The only thing that I dont like about the mirror is the very first scene, there's a large visible boom microphone in the left top corner. 

I actually wanted to rent these movies and went to blockbuster video, but they got rid of all of their tapes, and these movies had not yet been released on dvd. so alas, have to wait.

D

Solitary Wanderer

I have an album by Robert Rich called Stalker and I believe this was inspired by the book/movie. I haven't seen the movie but if its anything like Richs soundscapes on Stalker it must be creeeeepy...
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

sidoze

Quote from: marazm1 on June 03, 2007, 12:40:45 PM
The only thing that I dont like about the mirror is the very first scene, there's a large visible boom microphone in the left top corner. 

If you mean the opening scene in which the boy is cured of his speech impediment, the awkward colour scheme, interior design and obvious flaws are all intentional as far as I can tell. The young boy (young Tarkovsky perhaps) turns on the TV and witnesses it -- an amateur setup which contrasts with Tarkovsky's own polished, mature work, yet conveys identical themes of healing and redemption. It's a prologue which immediately and unashamedly shows a miracle, and that sense of miracle is probably the most profound and pervasive element in Tarkovsky's work.

маразм1

last time I saw the Mirror was in Paris, France.  It was raining one day and I decided to go to an Indie movie theater.  'twas great to see my fav. movie on a big screen.

d

oyasumi

I read this as Tchaikovsky's stalker.

Norbeone

Quote from: oyasumi on June 05, 2007, 09:32:04 AM
I read this as Tchaikovsky's stalker.

Nadezhda von Meck was her name, yes?

8)