Gérard Grisey (1946-1998)

Started by Sean, June 28, 2009, 12:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Quote from: North Star on December 05, 2017, 08:04:15 AM
Susanna Mälkki and the Helsinki Philharmonic did Les espaces acoustiques in February. I wish I could have been there..

I'm excited to learn of this and hope a radio broadcast recording makes it way to YT, but investigating it appears to be Pierre Andre Valade, rather than Malkki:

http://helsinginkaupunginorkesteri.fi/en/concerts/musica-nova-helsinki

North Star

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 05, 2017, 10:59:59 PM
I'm excited to learn of this and hope a radio broadcast recording makes it way to YT, but investigating it appears to be Pierre Andre Valade, rather than Malkki:

http://helsinginkaupunginorkesteri.fi/en/concerts/musica-nova-helsinki
Ah, faulty memory.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

You did it

If I saw Les Espaces Acoustiques live, I would honestly walk out in tears by the time it ends (heck it started to happen at one point when I saw Le Sacre recently). Not that I am a person who sheds tears easily or often but it would be so overwhelming for me, considering how attached I am to it 
:'( (Escapes..)

You did it

But in the context of my own home, playing it on the stereo as I do, it is very much a psychedelic work for me. The cycle is a spiritual experience, I come out of the epilogue after those incredible, otherworldly 90 minutes going "wow!".
The feeling that you have come out of the cycle/work a different person.
Man, it takes me somewhere amazing  :-*

You did it

Quote from: Brewski on December 05, 2017, 07:57:09 AM
*chuckling*

Les espaces acoustiques is definitely one of the greatest of the 20th century

Damn right it is  :D

Quote from: Brewski on December 05, 2017, 07:57:09 AM(among too many contenders).

Undeniably yes, which causes some internal conflict with my other idols  :laugh: :laugh:

Quote from: Brewski on December 05, 2017, 07:57:09 AM
Partiels is fabulous -- but then, I adore all sections of the piece.

The entire thing is perfect IMO, but I think Transitories may be my favorite individual part.  ;)

Quote from: Brewski on December 05, 2017, 07:57:09 AMStill hoping some ambitious orchestra will do the entire thing live in New York. Spectral scores are still challenging for most conventional orchestral musicians. (I've heard more of his music from new chamber music groups, like the International Contemporary Ensemble, for example.)

--Bruce

I really, really hope so too. If you play it enough, you'll draw an audience/grow more awareness of Grisey.

LET IT BE!

You did it

Quote from: snyprrr on December 04, 2017, 06:46:27 AM
who has written the HitParade version of EA? OK, maybe I'll take it to work today...

This I guess, as it is kinda the "classic recording"

CRCulver

Quote from: North Star on December 05, 2017, 08:04:15 AM
Susanna Mälkki and the Helsinki Philharmonic did Les espaces acoustiques in February. I wish I could have been there..

I was there. It was Pierre-Andre Valade, not Mälkki. Valade conducts with an eerie precision. His approach would probably suck for Classical or Romantic-era music where rubato is appreciated in "interpretation", but in spectral repertoire where the timings are very precisely calculated, he made the work run like clockwork. Definitely one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

not edward

Barbara Hannigan. Quatre chants pour franchir le seuil. You know what to do.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

SimonNZ

bhodges

Quote from: edward on March 28, 2020, 08:20:32 AM
Barbara Hannigan. Quatre chants pour franchir le seuil. You know what to do.

We certainly do. Thank you!

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 28, 2020, 02:52:20 PM
Thank you for the heads-up. Listening now.

also:

La Passione review – Grisey's masterpiece endures

And many thanks for this, too. Warms my heart to see Grisey mentioned today.

--Bruce

CRCulver

I look forward to getting the new Hannigan recording. Still, is a pity that the world premiere recording with Catherine Dubosc was botched, since Grisey based on the first movement on a spectral model of Dubosc's voice specifically, so any other soprano taking on the world would be rather like, say, later singers performing those Berio works written for Cathy Berberian.

SimonNZ

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 28, 2020, 04:02:35 PM
Botched in what way?
I am curious about this too.

I have one of Barbara Hannigan's recordings and was quite floored by her voice, singing and the works (different composer).  Am learning more about her and am discovering how talented she is in many fields.  Will check out more soon re Grisey, etc.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

GioCar

Quote from: Brewski on March 28, 2020, 03:11:35 PM

And many thanks for this, too. Warms my heart to see Grisey mentioned today.

A very big + 1. Warms my heart too.

CRCulver

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 28, 2020, 04:02:35 PM
Botched in what way?

The sound quality of that recording is rather poor by Kairos standards. Based on the credits, I would assume this is a radio recording made without too much care taken, which Kairos subsequently picked up for release.

not edward

Quote from: CRCulver on March 29, 2020, 06:26:13 AM
The sound quality of that recording is rather poor by Kairos standards. Based on the credits, I would assume this is a radio recording made without too much care taken, which Kairos subsequently picked up for release.
I would love the BBC to issue the recording they made of the world premiere under George Benjamin, which left an indelible impression on me.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

SimonNZ

Quote from: CRCulver on March 29, 2020, 06:26:13 AM

I played it yesterday and didn't notice anything like that. In fact I thought it might have had some advantage over the Hannigan in balance of voice and instruments and in the way individual instruments were picked up and highlighted.

Mandryka

What are resonators?

Are there just two options for the prologue  of Espaces Acoustiques -- vanilla viola and viola with "resonators" whatever they may be? Or are there more options (live electronics is one suggestion I've read, but it may be an internet myth. And for all I know live electronics = resonators.)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

petrarch

http://brahms.ircam.fr/analyses/Prologue/

Quote from: Mandryka on December 09, 2020, 01:16:08 AM
What are resonators?

Are there just two options for the prologue  of Espaces Acoustiques -- vanilla viola and viola with "resonators" whatever they may be? Or are there more options (live electronics is one suggestion I've read, but it may be an internet myth. And for all I know live electronics = resonators.)
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Mandryka

Thanks. Now, is there a recording of the version with real time electronics?

Here's Cause with the resonators -- I wonder where this is from, whether it's commercially available. The recording he made with Cambrelling is shorter.

https://www.youtube.com/v/LFUomn9Fp_k&ab_channel=G%C3%A9rardCauss%C3%A9Viola
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen