Eyvind Alnaes (1872-1932)

Started by Scion7, December 04, 2020, 10:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

https://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Eyvind%20Alnæs

-born Fredrikstad, April 1872 - died Oslo, Christmas Eve, 1932)
-after attending musical institutions in Norway, he studied at Leipzig Conservatory (1892–4) under Reinecke (composition) and Ruthard (piano) - attendance at this hotseat of Brahms' circle can be heard in his music
-to quote the New Grove:

... he began composing in a distinctly late-Romantic style with complex harmonic ornamentation; some of the later works, however, show a tendency towards an Impressionist handling of chords and freer experimentation with dissonance. Though Norwegian folk music is rarely a direct influence, its presence informs his melodic lines in his more ballad-like settings, which are almost always of Scandinavian poets. His orchestral music is bolder, the later music in particular: the Second Symphony still has audible roots in Norwegian Romanticism, but it is invigorated with a rhythmic vitality and sense of orchestral colour reminiscent of Janáček.

scant works list

Orch:
Symphony in c, 1897
Symphony in D, 1923
Symfoniske variasjoner, 1909
Piano Concerto, 1914
8 songs with orchestra, 1904, 1913–20, 1916

Chamber
Suite for 2 violins & piano, Op.36
Symfonisk marsj, for two pianos
many piano pieces
Norsk pianoskole, 1931

Vocal:
many choral pieces, choral folksong arrs., c100 songs
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Symphonic Addict

Thanks for starting a thread about this composer. Recently I gave his PC a try, a remarkable piece. And his symphonies, despite being only two, they possess memorability, awesome orchestra writing, and distinctive Nordic (Norwegian) flavour. Hopefully all of this music will be recorded someday.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

[asin]B004G7FFI0[/asin]

^ Another beautifully packaged Toccata disc. 
I don't think there is anything outstanding in the piano works, though but it's pleasant enough.

[asin]B002YCI09K[/asin]

[asin]B000NJM4IO[/asin]

[asin]B01M2CGF6O[/asin]