Scriabin's Piano Solo Works

Started by toledobass, June 03, 2007, 06:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

Very slowly, I've been getting to know some of this music from Ruth Laredo's complete recordings.  I'd like to delve into some others in this repertoire, particulary the later stuff.  Can you guys offer me choices for recordings that are a different approach than Laredo's?

Thanks all,

Allan

Todd

I've not heard Laredo, but I'd be surprised if Roberto Szidon and John Ogdon and Vladimir Sofronitsky and Vladimir Ashkenazy don't offer different takes on the music. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

not edward

Sofronitsky's the obvious choice for anything he recorded, but beware of crappy pirate issues.

Does anyone have a good link for an uptodate Sofronitsky/Scriabin discography?
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Drasko

Quote from: edward on June 03, 2007, 07:16:24 AM
Sofronitsky's the obvious choice for anything he recorded, but beware of crappy pirate issues.

Best sounding transfers are definitely Japanese Denons.

Don't think there is one, I have somewhere a list of everything that was released on Melodiya LPs if you're interested.

Drasko

As for sonata recommendations

1 - Szidon (DG)
2 - Richter (Praga), Melnikov (HM)
3 - Sofronitsky (Denon), Horowitz (RCA), Melnikov (HM)
4 - Sofronitsky (Living Stage)
5 - Sofronitsky (Denon), Richter (Praga), Feinberg (Arbiter), Horowitz (RCA)
6 - Richter (Melodiya)
7 - Richter (Live Classics)
8 - Sofronitsky (Denon)
9 - Sofronitsky (Denon), Horowitz (CBS), Melnikov (HM)
10 - Sofronitsky (Denon), Horowitz (CBS)

SonicMan46

Just would like to get onto this thread - lookin' to update these works in my collection, also - currently own the Ashkenazy set - good bargin, but variable performances & sound recording - CLICK on the image for some quite varied opinions from the Amazonians - including a good review from Scott Morrison discussing some of the problems w/ this offering - so, will keep an eye on the recommendations -  :)

George

I own some of Richter's, some of Sofronitsky's, some of Horowitz's and the sets of Ashkenazy and Ogdon.  If I recall correctly, the Ogdon is more poetic and takes more chances than Ashy's set. It was recently re-released on an EMI Gemini 2-fer at a price that should put it in everyone's collection.   :)

Florestan

Has anyone tried this?

The Scriabin sonatas are played by Haakon Austbo.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

not edward

I find Austbo undercharacterized and frankly, rather boring compared to the best Russian performers.

But I suspect it depends what you want from it: it may appeal to those who want restrained, unfussy performances.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on June 03, 2007, 10:49:33 AM
Has anyone tried this?

The Scriabin sonatas are played by Haakon Austbo.

Can vouch for Austbo on some other composers, e.g. I have the Brilliant sets of him playing Grieg's Lyric Pieces & Janacek's Piano Works, both excellent -  :D

Todd

Yes, I've tried Austbo's Scriabin - it's profoundly boring.  (If this is the set with McLachlan's Prokofiev, that's merely very boring.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Steve

Quote from: Drasko on June 03, 2007, 07:44:36 AM
As for sonata recommendations

1 - Szidon (DG)
2 - Richter (Praga), Melnikov (HM)
3 - Sofronitsky (Denon), Horowitz (RCA), Melnikov (HM)
4 - Sofronitsky (Living Stage)
5 - Sofronitsky (Denon), Richter (Praga), Feinberg (Arbiter), Horowitz (RCA)
6 - Richter (Melodiya)
7 - Richter (Live Classics)
8 - Sofronitsky (Denon)
9 - Sofronitsky (Denon), Horowitz (CBS), Melnikov (HM)
10 - Sofronitsky (Denon), Horowitz (CBS)

Know where I might find a Sofronitsky set?

Drasko

Quote from: Steve on June 03, 2007, 11:17:11 AM
Know where I might find a Sofronitsky set?

There is no set. Sofronitsky never recorded No.1 (save one movement) and No.7, while existence of No.6 and second movement of No.2 is questionable at least. You have basically Nos. 3-5 and 8-10 most in multiple recorded performances, mostly live. Only option for all on one disc is I believe this:

http://www.russiandvd.com/store/product.asp?sku=31534&genreid=

What quality are transfers on Classound and what exact performances are included I have no idea
http://www.musicabona.com/proc/cover.html.fr?titul=001-025
and their tracklisting is utter mess.

Otherwise these two Denon volumes and his entry in Great Pianists Philips series cover all the sonatas.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Where can one find the Denon's for sale? Are they OP?
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Novi

Quote from: edward on June 03, 2007, 07:16:24 AM

Not quite up to date, but useful nonetheless ...

http://www.geocities.com/grahsco/Sofronitsky.html
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Choo Choo

Quote from: Drasko on June 03, 2007, 01:03:48 PM
Only option for all on one disc is I believe this:

I have that disk, and the quality is mostly OK.  I got it from an eBay seller in Prague who was knocking them out for not very much.

Surprised no-one has mentioned Sokolov's Scriabin.  I have a disk with his #3 and #9, and the #3 at least is definitely my favourite.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Thanks Simon. Too bad they're nowhere to be found in North America.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Steve

Quote from: Drasko on June 03, 2007, 01:03:48 PM
There is no set. Sofronitsky never recorded No.1 (save one movement) and No.7, while existence of No.6 and second movement of No.2 is questionable at least. You have basically Nos. 3-5 and 8-10 most in multiple recorded performances, mostly live. Only option for all on one disc is I believe this:

What quality are transfers on Classound and what exact performances are included I have no idea
http://www.musicabona.com/proc/cover.html.fr?titul=001-025
and their tracklisting is utter mess.

Otherwise these two Denon volumes and his entry in Great Pianists Philips series cover all the sonatas.

Thanks for the info.  :)

Drasko

Quote from: Choo Choo on June 03, 2007, 04:13:54 PM
Surprised no-one has mentioned Sokolov's Scriabin.  I have a disk with his #3 and #9, and the #3 at least is definitely my favourite.

Don't know about the others, I simply don't have the disc (that is Naive with Prokofiev and some Rachmaninov?) but can definitely imagine him being very good in 3rd.

I hear he is playing in London this week, will you be going?