Allan Pettersson for Newbies

Started by John Copeland, July 04, 2009, 06:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 06, 2011, 10:02:02 AMThanks. Mrs. Rock's sister lives in Bremen. We could combine a family visit with the concert.
Do you think Mrs. Rock would like it as much as you?

karlhenning

Nobody listens to Pettersson to like the music . . . .

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Tapio on January 06, 2011, 07:48:18 PM
Do you think Mrs. Rock would like it as much as you?

I don't know. We listened to the 8th together once and she didn't run away. The Seventh is an easier listen. In any case, even when she doesn't enjoy the music, she doesn't complain (much ;D ) She's actually looking forward to the "Gothic" at the Proms next summer...says it will be a far easier two hours to endure than our recent Reingold experience  :D

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 07, 2011, 04:44:52 AM
Nobody listens to Pettersson to like the music . . . .

;D :D ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 07, 2011, 09:28:30 AM
I don't know. We listened to the 8th together once and she didn't run away. The Seventh is an easier listen. In any case, even when she doesn't enjoy the music, she doesn't complain (much ;D )
If my wife doesn't like the music (which is basically in all cases of darker music, i.e. few flutes or spring or fun or life or positive melody involved) she starts complaining about everything except music. This way she shows respect to my musical preference ;)

Quotesays it will be a far easier two hours to endure than our recent Reingold experience  :D

I wish I had "Reingold" experiences ;)

SurprisedByBeauty

Perhaps one of the most suitable discs to enter into the soundworld of Pettersson, methinks.

Dip Your Ears, No. 221 (Barefoot & Beautiful: Allan Pettersson's Music on BIS)

André

Excellent program indeed. Coincidentally I purchased this one last week: it features practically the same works !

I don't know if the songs are in the Antal Dorati orchestration, though. Something to dig into when I get the disc.