Allan Pettersson for Newbies

Started by mahler10th, July 04, 2009, 06:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

I think No. 9 is also worth listening, but I agree: Much other stuff to explore (I don't know all of the RVW or Shostakovich symphonies).
Tried Pettersson #13 once, but won't retry. Too hard to crack.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on October 18, 2010, 02:41:31 PM
Well #7 is what I'll go for next.  I won't try anything outside of #6-8 until I've explored all three since you and a couple of other posters shared the same sentiment.

Well #6-8 are masterpieces in my opinion. I had someone tell me the exact same thing as I told you: listen to 6-8. I did and I was hooked, but as I progressed past the 8th, I found much the music to be disappointing. Those contrasts (i.e. light, dark) aren't evident in his later works, they just seem like a bunch of dissonant note-spinning with no real purpose. I do, however, need to go and listen to No. 10 as I recall it being pretty decent.

All of this said, my box of Pettersson symphonies is now one of prized possessions and I'm glad I finally forced myself to listen to his music, because my first impressions of his music was "This is morbidly depressing..." but now I've come to enjoy his pessimistic music for what it is: a unique view of the world that was around him.

vandermolen

My work colleague (fellow CD nut) raves about Symphony No 4 - so I must try that soon.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 20, 2010, 02:19:55 PM
My work colleague (fellow CD nut) raves about Symphony No 4 - so I must try that soon.

I don't recall the 4th being particularly inspired, but I will give it another listen.

Mirror Image

I can now fully endorse Pettersson's Violin Concerto No. 2. What a remarkable work.

Grazioso

Quote from: Octo_Russ on August 21, 2010, 10:05:25 AM
Just finished listening to the Seventh Symphony on YouTube,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bMNzqMkW3U

This is from someone who has never listened to any Pettersson before, so here are my thoughts,

Yes it's bleak-ish, certainly tonal, but a degree of discord, it's definitely relentless, quite repetitive, reminds me of the first movement of Shostakovich's Tenth in a way, it's a 45 minute one movement work, therefore it's hard to find your way around, it would have been better to compose it in say four sections, there's a lovely quiet string section about 30 minutes in, it's breathtaking, the very best bit of the Symphony.

The more you listen to this one, the more I think you'll find the structure to be both clear and masterfully implemented. There's subtle organic growth occurring throughout the work instead of a traditional delineation of first and second theme, etc. As you get familiar with the themes and their development, you'll notice them being adumbrated well before they take center stage. Part of what makes the 7th so appealing to me is not just its enormous emotional impact but its craftsmanship: at his best Pettersson is a true symphonist.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The new erato

Quote from: Grazioso on November 04, 2010, 05:33:44 AM
The more you listen to this one, the more I think you'll find the structure to be both clear and masterfully implemented. There's subtle organic growth occurring throughout the work instead of a traditional delineation of first and second theme, etc.
Oh yes; indeed. That's what makes it a masterpiece and Pettersson a master.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Grazioso on November 04, 2010, 05:33:44 AM
The more you listen to this one, the more I think you'll find the structure to be both clear and masterfully implemented. There's subtle organic growth occurring throughout the work instead of a traditional delineation of first and second theme, etc. As you get familiar with the themes and their development, you'll notice them being adumbrated well before they take center stage. Part of what makes the 7th so appealing to me is not just its enormous emotional impact but its craftsmanship: at his best Pettersson is a true symphonist.

Pettersson was a master of the gritty idiom he chose to compose in. I'm quite in awe of his Symphonies Nos. 6-8 and not to mention his Violin Concerto No. 2, which has that light/dark constrast throughout which makes the afore mentioned symphonies completely compelling.

AP100

Hi everyone,

For those of you who are interested, please visit my blog which I created for the occassion of Allan Pettersson's upcoming 100th birthday. My goal is to listen to all of his orchestral works (+Barefoot songs and Seven Sonatas) before his birthday and to blog about it. Feel free to leave comments or feedback!

springrite

Quote from: AP100 on January 03, 2011, 11:08:00 PM
Hi everyone,

For those of you who are interested, please visit my blog which I created for the occassion of Allan Pettersson's upcoming 100th birthday. My goal is to listen to all of his orchestral works (+Barefoot songs and Seven Sonatas) before his birthday and to blog about it. Feel free to leave comments or feedback!

uh...uh...ah...uh... where is it?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 04, 2011, 02:05:03 AMIt's got to be this one.
Interesting, I followed the links and I'm glad to see there's some activity again. There's a P7 concert later the year in Germany :) I wish I could see the 6th one day.

AP100

Hi everyone,

Wow, it's a good thing I'm not in the marketing business.  :P I advertised my blog today, but didn't even provide the address. If you haven't found it already from earlier posts, here it is:

http://allanpettersson100.blogspot.com/

Spread the word to all the Pettersson fans you know (besides yourself!) and to anyone who may be interested. Pettersson is not played to quite the same extent as Brahms, so any help would be great.

Thanks!

Lethevich

Thanks for the link, I'll be a regular visitor.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Tapio on January 04, 2011, 03:46:00 AMThere's a P7 concert later the year in Germany :)

Where? What orchestra? Who's conducting?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 05, 2011, 07:25:08 AMWhere? What orchestra? Who's conducting?
Quote18. und 19. September 2011, Oldenburg (Staatstheater)
7. Sinfonie
Staatsorchester Oldenburg, Peter Ruzicka
(source)

AP100

Right on his 100th birthday (19 September)!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Tapio on January 05, 2011, 08:18:01 AM
(source)

Thanks. Mrs. Rock's sister lives in Bremen. We could combine a family visit with the concert.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"