Author Topic: Hilary Hahn  (Read 7294 times)

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Timeless soundscapes...
Re: Hilary Hahn
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2019, 08:27:26 PM »
[posting here and in the Bruch thread]

I watched and listened to Hilary Hahn performing Bruch's Violin Concerto #1 last night and it was mesmerizing. I find her playing outstanding, but I'm a bit biased. Besides, there is a reason why Bruch's VC #1 belongs in the realm of popular concertos in the repertoire. I wish that Hahn was recording more of her performances.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KDJ6Wbzgy3E" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KDJ6Wbzgy3E</a>
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline ChopinBroccoli

« Reply #61 on: Today at 11:07:30 AM »
While sex has always sold to some extent, it is rather odd that a large number of "star" soloists under say 40 are suddenly all hot

Hard to imagine goofy looking bastards like Murray Perahia or Clifford Curzon, for example being big stars if they were 30 in today's market ... It makes you wonder who we're NOT hearing about.  This is not to suggest a person can't be both physically attractive and a great musician but it used to be unusual and that's a little suspicious.
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #62 on: Today at 11:47:17 AM »

I've noted this particular trend as well, but personally I think more about the music and Hahn's ability to play the violin. She comes across as a performer that is attuned to music rather than marketing. After all, she is not cranking out album after album. The discography is minimal.
 I very much enjoyed the Bruch concerto. 
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Online Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #63 on: Today at 12:33:01 PM »
Hahn is an attractive young woman, but she's not on the Yuja level.

Offline ChopinBroccoli

« Reply #64 on: Today at 03:05:17 PM »
Yuja's technical ability is phenomenal, she would be noted even if she wasn't wearing a tight dress ... I've never heard a recording by her that I've wanted to buy because her playing just doesn't captivate me in any real way but there's a whole bunch of famous, very funny looking male pianists I could say that about and most of them don't have her chops, either. 

Hillary I couldn't really comment on as I'm not a big listener of violin soloists in general ... she seems to get good marks from people whose opinions I respect a lot so I'm sure she's excellent

I was only making a general observation about the trend; some of the "hotties" are likely the real deal, I just doubt that all of them are
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel