David Hurwitz

Started by Scion7, January 11, 2016, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Mookalafalas on March 28, 2024, 02:50:49 AMYes, they recently bought another whole label. I didn't see that coming.
Not the first time! Naxos also owns Ondine, Capriccio, Oehms Classics, and a couple others.  :)

I'm definitely going to listen to DH's Berglund review today while cleaning the bathroom.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on March 28, 2024, 06:16:35 AMNot the first time! Naxos also owns Ondine, Capriccio, Oehms Classics, and a couple others.  :)

I'm definitely going to listen to DH's Berglund review today while cleaning the bathroom.
Clever idea!  Getting two things done at once!
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on March 28, 2024, 06:16:35 AMI'm definitely going to listen to DH's Berglund review today while cleaning the bathroom.

Nothing else matches a Hurwitz review quite like cleaning the toilet! ;)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mookalafalas on March 28, 2024, 02:50:49 AMwell, I supposed GMG folk will readily prove me wrong.
No no, I'm rough and ready enough to allow Hurwitz the possibility of being occasionally unobjectionable. We're not barbarians, here.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on March 28, 2024, 07:12:03 AMNothing else matches a Hurwitz review quite like cleaning the toilet! ;)
Wholistic (* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: DavidW on March 28, 2024, 07:12:03 AMNothing else matches a Hurwitz review quite like cleaning the toilet! ;)

Garbage in, garbage out, you might say.

But I have also found nothing is so good for a nap than listening to a Hurwitz review. Whenever I feel a need for an afternoon snooze, I put on one of his longer ones and I'm out like a light five minutes in.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

LKB

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 28, 2024, 07:13:01 AMNo no, I'm rough and ready enough to allow Hurwitz the possibility of being occasionally unobjectionable. We're not barbarians, here.

To put it another way, using one of my favorite couplets:

Accidents happen.  >:D
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Herman

Quote from: 71 dB on January 20, 2024, 02:08:42 AMDavid Hurwitz has very strong opinions, but he doesn't expect/demand other people share them. All he wants people to do is to "keep listening." 

Unfoprtunately I disagree. His opinions are often expressed with intimidating vehemence of ridicule. Keep in mind that many people approach classical music with feeling of insecurity.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Herman on March 28, 2024, 10:43:57 AMUnfoprtunately I disagree. His opinions are often expressed with intimidating vehemence of ridicule. Keep in mind that many people approach classical music with feeling of insecurity.

Herman is exactly right. Hurwitz's biggest flaw is his intolerance of disagreement. There are no true "discussions" on his forum because one can never tell how many dissenting comments have been deleted. At times he'll devote an entire video to ridiculing someone who disagrees with him.

A more secure person would welcome opposing viewpoints, but disagree with Dave and you're on the outs. Example: he was reviewing Levit's recent Mendelssohn disc inspired by the October 7 attacks, but Hurwitz has decided that politics has nothing to do with music (which is of course nonsense), and that if anyone were to make a political point in the comments, they would be banned from his site. He's attacked me a number of times, which is why I no longer participate on his forum.

Karl Henning

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on March 28, 2024, 12:51:30 PMHerman is exactly right. Hurwitz's biggest flaw is his intolerance of disagreement. There are no true "discussions" on his forum because one can never tell how many dissenting comments have been deleted. At times he'll devote an entire video to ridiculing someone who disagrees with him.

A more secure person would welcome opposing viewpoints, but disagree with Dave and you're on the outs. Example: he was reviewing Levit's recent Mendelssohn disc inspired by the October 7 attacks, but Hurwitz has decided that politics has nothing to do with music (which is of course nonsense), and that if anyone were to make a political point in the comments, they would be banned from his site. He's attacked me a number of times, which is why I no longer participate on his forum.
Dave "Snowflake" Hurwitz.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Daverz

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on March 28, 2024, 12:51:30 PMHerman is exactly right. Hurwitz's biggest flaw is his intolerance of disagreement. There are no true "discussions" on his forum because one can never tell how many dissenting comments have been deleted. At times he'll devote an entire video to ridiculing someone who disagrees with him.

I agree that Hurwitz is intolerant of dissent in his comment section (he banned me years ago), but this is a stupid example.  There would be no benefit to anyone in allowing political comments on Israel/Palestine under a music CD review.  It would just turn into a cesspool very quickly. 

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Daverz on March 28, 2024, 02:22:57 PMI agree that Hurwitz is intolerant of dissent in his comment section (he banned me years ago), but this is a stupid example.  There would be no benefit to anyone in allowing political comments on Israel/Palestine under a music CD review.  It would just turn into a cesspool very quickly. 

It was what came to mind as an example of his intolerance of dissent. No reason to throw people off the forum just for bringing it up, and apparently Levit's reason for producing the disc was the war.

And that was a really good nap . . . .

Herman

I wasn't even aware of these things, the deletions and bans. I don't read the comment section to his videos much, since they tend to consist of the usual adulatory and / or emotional tributes that are usual on youtube. I guess he wants it this way. This guy is even sicker than I thought.
what I meant with vehemence etc is the tone of his videos; the screaming anger at musicians who do not do it his way. This is why I rarely watch his stuff.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Herman on March 28, 2024, 06:14:14 PMI wasn't even aware of these things, the deletions and bans. I don't read the comment section to his videos much, since they tend to consist of the usual adulatory and / or emotional tributes that are usual on youtube. I guess he wants it this way. This guy is even sicker than I thought.
what I meant with vehemence etc is the tone of his videos; the screaming anger at musicians who do not do it his way. This is why I rarely watch his stuff.

Agreed. There was a scathing review of Klaus Mäkelä's Sibelius cycle, but when one listens to the recordings one finds that Mäkelä's versions hardly have the faults Hurwitz ascribes to them. My main problem is Mäkelä is the difficulty in finding those Finnish diacritics to spell his last name. Recently there was a video on 10 underperformed symphonic works (several of which BTW I have encountered in live performance myself). But because conductors supposedly do not perform some of the music Hurwitz wants them to, these conductors are "lazy," only programming the tried and true. Of course much of the point about live performance is moot, since most of us get most of our music from recordings and a concert attended by maybe a few thousand people in a city most of us can't get to hardly matters at all. But that doesn't prevent Hurwitz from waxing apoplectic about these "lazy" conductors.