Your favourite Tchaikovsky symphony?

Started by Mark, May 25, 2007, 02:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Your favourite Tchaikovsky symphony?

No. 1 'Winter Daydreams'
4 (6.3%)
No. 2 'Little Russian'
2 (3.2%)
No. 3 'Polish'
0 (0%)
No. 4
8 (12.7%)
No. 5
17 (27%)
No. 6 'Pathetique'
27 (42.9%)
'Manfred' Symphony
5 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 43

71 dB

Quote from: DavidW on April 22, 2024, 02:57:12 PMThe absolute best:

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 22, 2024, 02:29:08 PMThere are many good performances.

Thanks for these! Since I am to explore all the symphonies, the Jurowski looks good and "modern sound" is a plus (modern sound can be bad if the sound engineers did lousy job).
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Jo498

Quote from: Florestan on April 22, 2024, 11:56:47 PMI am reminded of Eduard Hanslick's criticism of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto:

"The Russian composer Tchaikovsky is an inflated [talent], without discrimination or taste. Such is also his long and pretentious Violin Concerto. For a while it moves musically, and not without spirit. But soon vulgarity gains the upper hand. The violin is no longer played; it is pulled, torn, shredded. The [second movement] Adagio is on its best behavior. But it breaks off to make way for a finale that transfers us to the brutal and wretched jollity of a Russian holiday. We see plainly the savage, vulgar faces; we hear curses, we smell vodka. Friedrich Vischer once observed, speaking of obscene pictures, that they stink to the eye. Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto gives us for the first time the hideous notion that there can be music that stinks to the ear."
I had encountered that criticism long ago in truncated form, so for years I assumed that the "stink" was because of overly sweet perfume (in the first 2 movements), not vodka, sweat and garlic!
Tbh I found this far more plausible and I never liked the work very much but I recognize its achievement and the last movemmnt is probably my favorite!

The true core of such criticism is, I think, that it points to the extreme contrasts within the composer. There is the elegant "French Ballet" side and the bipolar Russian side between exultation and suicidal depression. In the case of the violin concerto it's rather unfair because I think he managed the fusion very well here.
But I think he needs both sides. He managed a few good works mostly without the "dark" or "elemental" side, such as the String serenade (or maybe even most of Nutcracker) but I find that other pieces without the energy and depth of that other side become competent and boring (IMO 3rd symphony, 2nd piano concerto  they are neglected, but it's understandable).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on Today at 05:35:31 AMThe true core of such criticism is, I think, that it points to the extreme contrasts within the composer. There is the elegant "French Ballet" side and the bipolar Russian side between exultation and suicidal depression.

Except for the last movement of the Pathetique, I can't find any instance of suicidal depression in Tchaikovsky's music. Emotional turbulence aplenty, melancholy (mostly of the dark type) in spades --- but suicidal depression is an exaggeration. Did you ever feel like killing yourself after listening to Tchaikovsky?  :D   

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on Today at 05:50:38 AMDid you ever feel like killing yourself after listening to Tchaikovsky?  :D   

I usually reserve Pettersson for that!

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Personally, I've always liked the Vn Cto.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot