Author Topic: Film (movie) Music  (Read 190483 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Film (movie) Music
« Reply #1380 on: July 20, 2021, 10:10:03 PM »
Malcolm Arnold
Film Music, Vol. 2
BBC Philharmonic - Rumon Gamba

Listening this morning:

Great album! As someone who taught at a girls' school for the past 33 years the St Trinian's music has a particular appeal!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #1381 on: July 21, 2021, 04:12:57 AM »
Great album! As someone who taught at a girls' school for the past 33 years the St Trinian's music has a particular appeal!

The massive "elephant in the room" question that MUST be asked..... Does Vandermolen look as good in a frock as Alastair Sim?  The Forum has a right to know.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1382 on: July 21, 2021, 04:32:34 AM »
The massive "elephant in the room" question that MUST be asked..... Does Vandermolen look as good in a frock as Alastair Sim?  The Forum has a right to know.

I attach a recent photo of vandermolen - so, you can judge for yourself.

8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #1383 on: July 21, 2021, 04:39:40 AM »

8)

Magnificent

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #1384 on: July 21, 2021, 04:47:23 AM »

8)

You have a distinguished air about you.  I think you might have spanked me in grade school for speaking loudly too.

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
  • Currently Listening to:
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #1385 on: July 21, 2021, 05:07:23 AM »

Yes, I was rather pleased with it myself. I like the Chandos film series, but often compared to the originals they can be lifeless. Still it is great to be able to hear this music.
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #1386 on: Today at 03:25:54 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what thread this post belongs in but the great film composer, John Williams, has a world premiere of his Violin Concerto No. 2 tomorrow!!!  His Violin Concerto No. 1 is fantastic, dark and turbulent yet tonal and reminds me of his admiration of Prokofiev.  I especially love the London Symphony Orchestra/Leonard Slatkin recording of the work so am very excited to hear this new concerto from Williams!