No. 5
16 (26.2%)
No. 6 'Pathetique'
27 (44.3%)
'Manfred' Symphony
5 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

DavidW

Looks like I was being a smart ass back in 2007.  My favorite back then was the 4th.  My favorite now is the 6th.  I like all of them but listen to 4-6 and Manfred more than 1-3.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on Today at 08:50:33 AMLooks like I was being a smart ass back in 2007.  My favorite back then was the 4th.  My favorite now is the 6th.  I like all of them but listen to 4-6 and Manfred more than 1-3.
Manfred is magnificent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on Today at 09:08:41 AMMy order is 5-1-6-4-2-3.

Ah yes rankings!  My personal preference is 6 > 4 > 5 > Manfred > 3 > 1 > 2.

Brian

Hmmmmmmm.

4-5-6-1-2-Manfred-3?

But the drop-off is near the end. It's really only 3 that I don't understand/enjoy and only Manfred that I have to listen to sparingly because of its excesses.

71 dB

Quote from: 71 dB on May 26, 2007, 02:22:28 PMI haven't explored Tchaikovsky's symphonies.

Update nearly 17 years later: Still haven't explored Tchaikovsky's symphonies.   ???
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on Today at 10:28:20 AMUpdate nearly 17 years later: Still haven't explored Tchaikovsky's symphonies.  ???
It's time, isn't it?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Luke

Don't hurry the man Karl!  >:(   :P

Maestro267

Actually 17 years ago would've been when I first heard the Tchaikovsky symphonies.

71 dB

Quote from: Karl Henning on Today at 11:26:00 AMIt's time, isn't it?

The thought of which performance to check out...  ???
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on Today at 01:45:44 PMThe thought of which performance to check out...  ???
There are many good performances.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: 71 dB on Today at 01:45:44 PMThe thought of which performance to check out...  ???

The absolute best:

For modern sound:

Brian

Wholeheartedly second the Jurowski recommendation (and he's great in the early symphonies) but I would also put Markevitch up there on the Mount Rushmore of Tchaikovsky symphony interpreters!

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on Today at 02:57:12 PMThe absolute best:

Maybe, but I wouldn't recommend it as the first, let alone the only, choice to people with no special interest in Tchaikovsky, a category to which Poju obviously belongs. Besides, it's incomplete, and Winter Dreams and Manfred are unmissable. IMO Poju's best option is this:

Complete symphonies including Manfred, all the important overtures, two ballet suites, the charming string serenade and PC1 with Andrei Gavrilov. Solid, no-nonsense performances in excellent sound. One could really not wish more, who is not particularly a fan of Tchaikovsky.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Wanderer

I see that I'd voted for Symphony No.1 in the poll (who are the other three voters? 8) ). It is still the Tchaikovsky symphony I cherish the most - his most balletic, and without the soul-crushing dourness of later works.
Of the last three symphonies, I used to like the 4th the best, but it's the Currentzis 6 I return to the most nowadays; he manages to convey the hurricane of a tormented, desperate soul (which I assume is what Tchaikovsky would've wanted) and not make it sound like a histrionic tantrum, which is what usually turns out in modern performances.