No. 5
16 (26.2%)
No. 6 'Pathetique'
27 (44.3%)
'Manfred' Symphony
5 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

DavidW

Looks like I was being a smart ass back in 2007.  My favorite back then was the 4th.  My favorite now is the 6th.  I like all of them but listen to 4-6 and Manfred more than 1-3.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on Today at 08:50:33 AMLooks like I was being a smart ass back in 2007.  My favorite back then was the 4th.  My favorite now is the 6th.  I like all of them but listen to 4-6 and Manfred more than 1-3.
Manfred is magnificent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on Today at 09:08:41 AMMy order is 5-1-6-4-2-3.

Ah yes rankings!  My personal preference is 6 > 4 > 5 > Manfred > 3 > 1 > 2.

Brian

Hmmmmmmm.

4-5-6-1-2-Manfred-3?

But the drop-off is near the end. It's really only 3 that I don't understand/enjoy and only Manfred that I have to listen to sparingly because of its excesses.

71 dB

Quote from: 71 dB on May 26, 2007, 02:22:28 PMI haven't explored Tchaikovsky's symphonies.

Update nearly 17 years later: Still haven't explored Tchaikovsky's symphonies.   ???
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on Today at 10:28:20 AMUpdate nearly 17 years later: Still haven't explored Tchaikovsky's symphonies.  ???
It's time, isn't it?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Luke

Don't hurry the man Karl!  >:(   :P

Maestro267

Actually 17 years ago would've been when I first heard the Tchaikovsky symphonies.

71 dB

Quote from: Karl Henning on Today at 11:26:00 AMIt's time, isn't it?

The thought of which performance to check out...  ???
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on Today at 01:45:44 PMThe thought of which performance to check out...  ???
There are many good performances.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: 71 dB on Today at 01:45:44 PMThe thought of which performance to check out...  ???

The absolute best:

For modern sound:

Brian

Wholeheartedly second the Jurowski recommendation (and he's great in the early symphonies) but I would also put Markevitch up there on the Mount Rushmore of Tchaikovsky symphony interpreters!

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on Today at 02:57:12 PMThe absolute best:

Maybe, but I wouldn't recommend it as the first, let alone the only, choice to people with no special interest in Tchaikovsky, a category to which Poju obviously belongs. Besides, it's incomplete, and Winter Dreams and Manfred are unmissable. IMO Poju's best option is this:

Complete symphonies including Manfred, all the important overtures, two ballet suites, the charming string serenade and PC1 with Andrei Gavrilov. Solid, no-nonsense performances in excellent sound. One could really not wish more, who is not particularly a fan of Tchaikovsky.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Wanderer

I see that I'd voted for Symphony No.1 in the poll (who are the other three voters? 8) ). It is still the Tchaikovsky symphony I cherish the most - his most balletic, and without the soul-crushing dourness of later works.
Of the last three symphonies, I used to like the 4th the best, but it's the Currentzis 6 I return to the most nowadays; he manages to convey the hurricane of a tormented, desperate soul (which I assume is what Tchaikovsky would've wanted) and not make it sound like a histrionic tantrum, which is what usually turns out in modern performances.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Florestan on Today at 04:25:15 AMOh, I wasn't talking about conductors, but about people who complain about Tchaikovsky being schmaltzy and melodramatic.  ;)

Re-listened to the 4th yesterday, in parts, couldn't do it completely. Particularly repulsive are all these "folk" songs and motifs, as Во поле березка стояла. Mother Russia, the stench of gutalin and manure, ruddy, pimply, sweaty девки, short and crooked drunken мужики with sparse beards, vodka flowing straight from the samovar.