Klaus Mäkelä chosen for Chicago Symphony Orchestra music director

Started by brewski, April 02, 2024, 07:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MishaK

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 10, 2024, 01:33:51 AMThere's an interesting video online of Makela being introduced to the orchestra for a rehearsal just after the announcement of his appointment.  A couple of things to note; 1) the reception by the orchestra is genuinely warm and lengthy from the whole group - from which the conclusion has to be that the players are definitely on-board with the appointment at this time. 2) Makela says a few well-chosen words about his pleasure excitement etc but also says - almost as a throw-away - how much he's looking forward to all their tours and recordings together which definitely chimes with what MishaK references in his post.  To be honest why shouldn't an orchestra be pleased at the opportunity to maximise their collective and individual incomes!

Back in the day a cynic at the BBC NOW said the best thing about Richard Hickox was his recording contract with Chandos....... make of that what you will........

PS:  I would disagree that any orchestra doesn't need "building".  Fair enough they already play brilliantly but any Music Director worth their salt will introduce different priorities musically, different style, different repertoire.  Any orchestra can and should grow from where they currently are......

Yes, I saw the video. There are also numerous social media posts from various CSO musicians that likewise attest to a genuine joy and rapport. There are 15 positions to be filled in the CSO, so Mäkelä will have his chance to do some orchestra building.

MishaK

Roasted Swan

Quote from: MishaK on April 15, 2024, 08:09:23 PMSurely you mean Pittsburgh!

Oh for goodness sake I'm so stupid!!! (but he is very good......)