The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on November 01, 2023, 05:26:19 AMNo! No no no NOOO!

Mary Berry instituted a sort of quiet revolution in the world of chant -- she argued that the best way to sing it was to give it a bit of rubato, a bit of subtle expressive embellishment, make it poetic.

The reason I've been posting these  booklet essays here is that I found a few weeks ago that her recordings are no longer streaming, so I decided to buy them. I must say, revisiting them has been an enormous pleasure. Quiet, sane, intense music, I love it.

The Pontigny CD, by the way, is a slight disappointment. Not because of the music or the music making, but because of the recording quality -- too much hall ambience for me I'm afraid. Still, I'm glad I have it.
I suspected not, but you never know what hidden talents and interests someone has.  ;)

In any event, thank you for telling me more about her.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on November 01, 2023, 05:26:19 AMThe reason I've been posting these  booklet essays here is that I found a few weeks ago that her recordings are no longer streaming, so I decided to buy them.
This is the capital argument against streaming, namely when the music is no longer streaming you have to purchase it. But what if it is OOP by then?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

San Antone

Quote from: premont on November 01, 2023, 06:25:27 AMThis is the capital argument against streaming, namely when the music is no longer streaming you have to purchase it. But what if it is OOP by then?

You can often find it on eBay, or even an Amazon third party seller.  So far, I have never failed to find an OOP recording that I wanted to buy. But you're right, streaming will probably make finding OOP recordings harder to find until eventually they disappear.

premont

Quote from: San Antone on November 01, 2023, 07:22:24 AMYou can often find it on eBay, or even an Amazon third party seller.  So far, I have never failed to find an OOP recording that I wanted to buy. But you're right, streaming will probably make finding OOP recordings harder to find until eventually they disappear.

Yes, it's true that OOP recordings often can be found at an AMP vendor, but the cost may be prohibitive for the purchase
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

DavidW

Quote from: premont on November 01, 2023, 07:48:44 AMYes, it's true that OOP recordings often can be found at an AMP vendor, but the cost may be prohibitive for the purchase

That is what I encountered with the Kondrashin Shostakovich symphonies.  I no longer owned them on cd, and then one day they vanished from streaming (they are back now after being absent for a few years but you never know).  They are available for an arm and a leg on cd, but that was it.

If you cherish something buy it.  Whether it be vinyl, cassette, cd, sacd, digital download... buy it.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: DavidW on November 01, 2023, 08:37:26 AMIf you cherish something buy it.  Whether it be vinyl, cassette, cd, sacd, digital download... buy it.

I lost a lot of things I cherished. And I'm bound to lose the ones I still have.

premont

Quote from: DavidW on November 01, 2023, 08:37:26 AMIf you cherish something buy it.  Whether it be vinyl, cassette, cd, sacd, digital download... buy it.

Couldn't agree more.
I would say:
"Buy when you can,
and listen when you get the time."
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on June 01, 2019, 08:40:12 AMAndrew Kirkman's inaugural at Birmingham University here

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/documents/college-artslaw/music/andrew-kirkman-inaugural-lecture.pdf

Well worth reading. It inspired me to look up his recording of the motet Incomprehensibilia firme, and it's every bit an amazing piece of music he says it is. Kirkman recorded it on A Marriage of England of Burgundy, and Orlando recorded it on their Busnois cd, which has Robert Harre Jones and Mark Dobell, as you'd expect the two interpretations are very different from each other.  I don't think anyone else tackled it.

Back to Kirkman's performance of Incomprehensibilia firme this morning. An extraordinary motet,
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: premont on November 01, 2023, 07:48:44 AMYes, it's true that OOP recordings often can be found at an AMP vendor, but the cost may be prohibitive for the purchase
I found out a number of years ago that (at least for one big label) that "limited edition" doesn't quite mean that.  There was a boxed CD set of Wagner's Ring.  It went OOP, but a year or so later, I purchased it from someone on eBay (for not much more).  Well, go forward in time a bit, guess what?  It was back in print and readily available!   ::)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Worth catching this BBC series if you can, on medieval Xmas music..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001svql

Mandryka

I expect all the Brits here are familir with the reference to Alan Prtridge in the above -- but @Que and @premont mybe not. Here.

San Antone

I am not sure if this group has been mentioned in this thread: Dionysos Now.

Dionysos Now! is the vocal ensemble of inspirer and artistic director Tore Tom Denys (tenor). It is a fairly young ensemble (founded in 2020) with a very personal timbre and with great attention to textual content and articulation. It brings together singers with the necessary international experience in polyphony with top ensembles such as Collegium Vocale Gent, Huelgas ensemble, The Tallis Scolars, Les Musicien du Louvre,... Rediscovering the composer Willaert is an important mission for Dionysos Now!

Que

Quote from: San Antone on Today at 09:35:42 AMI am not sure if this group has been mentioned in this thread: Dionysos Now.

I like their recordings very much.  :)