The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahlertitan

Quote from: beclemund on June 10, 2007, 05:17:05 PM
For those files still covered under a copyright, no, it is *not* legal. People will decide for themselves what they are willing to get away with, of course. Your earlier statement regarding "downloading/sharing for personal uses" is exactly the thing the RIAA has been coming down on when distributing settlement letters to university campuses and ISPs throughout the US over the last few years.

so, suppose i purchase a CD legally, and i would like a friend of mine to hear it, so i upload this CD online via Bittorent, so that this friend of mine can receive my "gift", according to what you have said, this is apparently "illegal"?

beclemund

Quote from: MahlerTitan on June 10, 2007, 05:33:01 PMso, suppose i purchase a CD legally, and i would like a friend of mine to hear it, so i upload this CD online via Bittorent, so that this friend of mine can receive my "gift", according to what you have said, this is apparently "illegal"?

Again, according to the US copyright office "...[ u]ploading or downloading works protected by copyright without the authority of the copyright owner is an infringement of the copyright owner's exclusive rights of reproduction and/or distribution."

So in the case above, yes, that kind of sharing is illegal.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

George

Can we get back to all that fun downloading discussion stuff?  :-\

Mozart

Quote from: George on June 10, 2007, 06:41:48 PM
Can we get back to all that fun downloading discussion stuff?  :-\

Word yo, no one cares if what they download is illegal, except all you people who care if what they download is illegal. A computer is like an entertainment station, if your not going to illegally download movies, music games...then whats the point of owning one? Send me your new 2000 dollar computers and Ill send you my e machine and you'll be just as happy!

George

Quote from: Mozart on June 10, 2007, 06:50:45 PM
Word yo, no one cares if what they download is illegal, except all you people who care if what they download is illegal. A computer is like an entertainment station, if your not going to illegally download movies, music games...then whats the point of owning one? Send me your new 2000 dollar computers and Ill send you my e machine and you'll be just as happy!

Thank you, Ali G.

;)

Mozart

Quote from: George on June 10, 2007, 06:54:50 PM
Thank you, Ali G.

;)

Haha he did encourage me to steal his movie...

Steve

Quote from: Mozart on June 10, 2007, 06:50:45 PM

Unless, of course, you aren't interested in a massive suit from the RIAA. Then, like me, you keep it legal.  :)

Mozart

Quote from: Steve on June 10, 2007, 07:21:39 PM
Unless, of course, you aren't interested in a massive suit from the RIAA. Then, like me, you keep it legal.  :)

Why would they pick me when theres 300 million other Americans doing it too?

Steve

Quote from: Mozart on June 10, 2007, 07:23:42 PM
Why would they pick me when theres 300 million other Americans doing it too?

You're not any less likely to get chosen then any of them..... if you don't mind the risk.

Mozart

Quote from: Steve on June 10, 2007, 07:25:17 PM
You're not any less likely to get chosen then any of them..... if you don't mind the risk.

Well 1 out of 300 million, I think God would have to draw my name for that to happen. Being a prick he probably would.

Steve

Quote from: Mozart on June 10, 2007, 07:27:14 PM
Well 1 out of 300 million, I think God would have to draw my name for that to happen. Being a prick he probably would.

Or you could just pay for it, and bring that down to 0.  :)

Mozart

Quote from: Steve on June 10, 2007, 07:32:06 PM
Or you could just pay for it, and bring that down to 0.  :)

To a mathematician 1 out of 300 million is as good as zero.

Besides a lawsuit in America comes down to whose got the most Jewish lawyer! Ive got connections ;)

beclemund

Quote from: Mozart on June 10, 2007, 06:50:45 PMWord yo, no one cares if what they download is illegal, except all you people who care if what they download is illegal. A computer is like an entertainment station, if your not going to illegally download movies, music games...then whats the point of owning one? Send me your new 2000 dollar computers and Ill send you my e machine and you'll be just as happy!

Hehe. Well, I would not be satisfied with an emachine tho' there are no illegally downloaded products on my laptop or on the shared storage drive I use to keep my music library, so *nyah, nyah*, you can't have it!  :P

Sorry for the tangent on public domain and copyright tho'. I was merely trying to answer questions as best as I could as they came up.

I am a big fan of digital distribution. Particularly services that provide high quality downloads without bloaty DRM.

Speaking of high quality downloads, The Philadelphia Orchestra provides high quality downloads in lossless FLAC (including historic performances) at very reasonable prices.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

Mozart

Lol I almost pooped myself, I click on Mozart's 17th pc and it said 215$!! Haha then I realized it was part of some 4 cd collection...

Steve

Quote from: Mozart on June 10, 2007, 07:33:16 PM
To a mathematician 1 out of 300 million is as good as zero.

Besides a lawsuit in America comes down to whose got the most Jewish lawyer! Ive got connections ;)

I'm a math major, and I dont consider that to be the eqivalent of zero.  ;D

Mozart

Quote from: Steve on June 10, 2007, 08:31:35 PM
I would be a math major if I had 80k to go to school and I do ;D
Its beyond chance.

Steve

Quote from: Mozart on June 10, 2007, 08:53:49 PM
I would be a math major if I had 80k to go to school and I do ;D
Its beyond chance.

What do you mean?

mahlertitan

Quote from: Steve on June 10, 2007, 08:31:35 PM

then you can probably calculate the probability of your being caught downloading "illegal" music.

Steve

Quote from: MahlerTitan on June 10, 2007, 09:47:16 PM
then you can probably calculate the probability of your being caught downloading "illegal" music.

right...  ;)

Mozart

Quote from: MahlerTitan on June 10, 2007, 09:47:16 PM
Leave that to the fascinating profession, those living Gods we call actuaries!