The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mozart

Quote from: Steve on June 10, 2007, 09:18:19 PM
What do you mean?

I mean that there not going to randomly pick anyone. To get caught downloading crap you probably would have to do some other illegal thing that requires your computer being seized... D you really think they will suddenly come take my computer because I downloaded Rigoletto?

Mozart

QuoteAnyone found to have infringed a copyrighted work may be liable for statutory damages up to $30,000 for each work infringed and, if willful infringement is proven by the copyright owner, that amount may be increased up to $150,000 for each work infringed.

Small price to pay if it means getting to meet Hannah Montana no?

George

Quote from: Mozart on June 10, 2007, 07:27:14 PM
Well 1 out of 300 million, I think God would have to draw my name for that to happen. Being a prick he probably would.

Post of the day.  0:)

Mark

Okay, folks. A (small) treat for iTunes users.

I got sent a single-song free download code today. I hate iTunes with a passion and wouldn't download from them if forced to at gunpoint, so I'm offering up the code here.

This code will only work once, so it's first come, first served. Don't moan at me if it doesn't work, basically - I couldn't care less. ;D The code expires on August 31st 2007.

Here it is. Enjoy:

J H 7 9 6 T P R F W 3 P

Mozart

Shucks, i think im first and it says itunes doesnt work in mexico...

Mark

Quote from: Mozart on June 12, 2007, 03:11:24 AM
Shucks, i think im first and it says itunes doesnt work in mexico...

What rotten luck! :(

Mozart

Quote from: Mark on June 12, 2007, 03:15:43 AM
What rotten luck! :(

I might as well tell you I was going to download Auber overture to fra diavolo

Mark

Need to bear in mind there's nothing stopping a 'guest' user of the forum from grabbing the code. ;)

SimonGodders

Okay, Godders enters the world of downloading...

Not with much success :(

I've got Azureus and used Demonoid to download Ray Lamontagne's latest album. I've downloaded the whole thing, but it won't open the files which are flac. I am a mac user which always seems to be a problem, but can it be rectified?

It would be nice to know, as I'm downloading the entire Richter in Prague set (all 15 CD's! Almost 4GB!) which again are files I don't recognise (EAC?).

Is there an application which can help? I'm baffled, just don't have a handle on this downloading malarkey...

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on June 12, 2007, 11:10:47 AM
Okay, Godders enters the world of downloading...

Not with much success :(

I've got Azureus and used Demonoid to download Ray Lamontagne's latest album. I've downloaded the whole thing, but it won't open the files which are flac. I am a mac user which always seems to be a problem, but can it be rectified?

It would be nice to know, as I'm downloading the entire Richter in Prague set (all 15 CD's! Almost 4GB!) which again are files I don't recognise (EAC?).

Is there an application which can help? I'm baffled, just don't have a handle on this downloading malarkey...

I believe that there is software that can convert files of one type to another.

Steve

'You could use foobar2000 to do this. You would also require a AAC codec. Nero or FAAC could do it. I think there's even a way to use the iTunes codec with foobar, but I use Nero so it doesn't worry me.'

SimonGodders

Quote from: Steve on June 12, 2007, 11:47:59 AM
'You could use foobar2000 to do this. You would also require a AAC codec. Nero or FAAC could do it. I think there's even a way to use the iTunes codec with foobar, but I use Nero so it doesn't worry me.'

sorry to sound a bit dumb, but I'm getting lost already...

Would having Nero solve all my issues?

Steve

Quote from: SimonGodders on June 12, 2007, 12:02:25 PM
sorry to sound a bit dumb, but I'm getting lost already...

Would having Nero solve all my issues?

Ok, scratch the first recommendation. It looks like MacFlac can convert .flac to .aac, which is what you need. I didn't know converted back to .aac.

Try this first http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Audio/MacFLAC.shtml

If quality isn't stellar, you'll need a codec.

Mark

Simon, EAC isn't a file format, but excellent (most think, the best) free ripping/encoding software. It stands for Exact Audio Copy, and you can find out more about it here: Exact Audio Copy.

However, it's of no use to you as a downloader, or as a Mac user - it's a PC-only application, AFAIK. Where did you get the information telling you that the files are EAC?

SimonGodders

Quote from: Steve on June 12, 2007, 12:10:19 PM
Ok, scratch the first recommendation. It looks like MacFlac can convert .flac to .aac, which is what you need. I didn't know converted back to .aac.

Try this first http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Audio/MacFLAC.shtml

If quality isn't stellar, you'll need a codec.

No joy :(

Macflac couldn't convert, or an application called Switch - errors in the files. Just keep my fingers crossed for the Richter stuff.

Thanks anyway mate
:)

SimonGodders

Quote from: Mark on June 12, 2007, 12:30:57 PM
Simon, EAC isn't a file format, but excellent (most think, the best) free ripping/encoding software. It stands for Exact Audio Copy, and you can find out more about it here: Exact Audio Copy.

However, it's of no use to you as a downloader, or as a Mac user - it's a PC-only application, AFAIK. Where did you get the information telling you that the files are EAC?

Hi Mark,

Sorry for confusion, I'm really probing in the dark here! The file that it's already begun to download had Sviatoslav Richter (EAC) and I just 'assumed' that was the file type. I think I will just wait and see what I get when it's finished downloading...

I don't hold out much hope though, as TBH, I'm utterly fucking clueless with all this! Probably stick with CD's for a while longer, luddite is the word :-\

Mark

Simon, if you have trouble opening the files when you've got them all, PM me and I'll see if I can sort it out. :)

SimonGodders

Quote from: Mark on June 12, 2007, 12:48:37 PM
Simon, if you have trouble opening the files when you've got them all, PM me and I'll see if I can sort it out. :)

Most kind, cheers.
Probably be another 24hrs until I've downloaded completely. I may be in touch... ;)

Steve

Quote from: SimonGodders on June 12, 2007, 12:54:08 PM
Most kind, cheers.
Probably be another 24hrs until I've downloaded completely. I may be in touch... ;)

I'm surprised MacFlac didn't work. I tested it quickly before I posted the link. Converting from .flac to .aac is difficult without a proper codec. Else, you lose a lot of quality.

Mark

Quote from: Steve on June 12, 2007, 09:23:50 PM
I'm surprised MacFlac didn't work. I tested it quickly before I posted the link. Converting from .flac to .aac is difficult without a proper codec. Else, you lose a lot of quality.

Steve, it would probably be simpler to convert FLAC to MP3 and not be hampered by a parochial format like AAC, no?