The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: Mozart on July 03, 2007, 06:47:36 PM
Yes the problem is an extra dot, and f2 doesn't work :( The files named are ridiculously long and I have tried also to highlight the files and click once to rename and it just make a noise clink and does nothing. I guess its a worthless download.

The files you are trying to rename could have been created with "HJSplit", Sidoze told me about this when I was downloading.  If you upload a file which is too big, many uploaders will use the program "HJSplit" to split/link the files.

So as an example you have Beethoven's 5th as a download and it reads .001.zip and .002.zip or perhaps .zip.001 and .zip.002 then you could need HJSplit to join them back together.

If you have say two files .001 & .002 in one directory, you need to run HJSplit and point it at your .001 file, HJSplit will find .001 and autofind any other subsequent files ie .002 .003 etc and rejoin the whole work back together giving you a file which is now "Joined"

Google and download HJSplit, it is a very small executable program, put this in the directory where your files are and run it against them (the .001 file)....it could be as simple as that.  Looks and sounds to me that the originator of the upload has split the file using HJSplit and not told you about it.  Hope this is the problem.

Cheers

PS If this is the case HJSplit will recreate the .rar or .zip file as joined, then you extract the rar or zip and get to your mp3's or whatever format they are in

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Soundproof

Linn Records offers high-resolution files at Studio Master quality. Like MusicGiants.com they have decided to make available the best possible quality.
Check at the bottom of this link, under Studio Masters, for their various 24bit versions. (CDs are 16bit/44.1kHz.)

You'll need to set up your computer properly to play the files at this resolution, but this is not complicated. Likewise you'll need to convert FLAC files to another format, to play them through iTunes on a Mac. I use xACT to convert, you'll find that program at versiontracker.com

http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-downloads-what.aspx

Here are a few sample downloads at 24bit/96kHz. The throughspeed here is 4608kbps, which tells you what the resolution is like, if you compare to 320kbps which most people seem to find satisfactory.

http://01688cb.netsolhost.com/samplerdownload/

Mark

Quote from: Soundproof on July 08, 2007, 11:54:02 PM
You'll need to set up your computer properly to play the files at this resolution, but this is not complicated.

How does one do this, Soundproof?

Soundproof

Hi Mark,

(Apologies as the below is for a Mac. Check the link at the bottom to find your computer if it's not a Cupertino product).

It took me a while to realize that having a 24bit/96kHz file on my harddisk didn't mean that it would necessarily be output as such when played back.
The Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) inside Macs aren't top grade - they do the job, but Jobs wants to make money, so ideally you should output through the Optical out, or with a USB connection.
If your stereo has a stand-alone DAC (such as Benchmark DAC1, LAVRY DA10, Grace m902) then you can send the optical signal from the Mac to that unit, which will then recognize the bit/sampling rates and process accordingly, before sending your signal on to your amplifier. (All of the above can also be used as world-class headphone amplifiers, with volume control).

The optical signal is piped through the same minijack-out port you use for headphones on the Mac. You need an optical Toslink Minijack to Toslink plug cable, the Mac will recognize this connector and start piping an optical signal.

===

To your specific question.
Inside your Applications>Utilities Folder - you'll find an application called Audio MIDI Setup. Double-click that.

Click Audio Devices if that's not already active.
Then Properties>Built-in Output

That opens the Audio Output Pane.
If you have a Toslink Optical cable attached, the SOURCE will show Digital Output.
Next you pick Format: 96000,0Hz & 2ch-24bit

You have now configured your Mac to properly handle the 24bit/96kHz signal, and to pipe it on as such out of your computer.
If you have a USB sound output device attached, then the SOURCE pane will recognize that. You still need to set the proper bit/sampling rates.

===

Once you have done this, you are set for bliss. The difference between the Redbook CD standard of 16/44.1 and 24/96 now available is amazing. (Given that you have a good headphone amplifier/headphones or stereo/speakers -- and the recording is of good quality to begin with).

I have been listening to the Linn Records' Mozart Requiem with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra this weekend, and the sound was such that it brought my daughter across the house and into my listening room.

===

Benchmark make a very good Digital-to-Analog converter, and have spent some time writing up guides for people to be certain they get the best possible quality sound out of their computers and into their sound systems. Check the bottom of this link if you're not a Mac addict:
http://extra.benchmarkmedia.com/wiki/index.php/OS_X_Audio_Playback_-_Setup_Guide

Mark

AnthonyAthletic

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

mahlertitan

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on July 12, 2007, 11:07:55 AM
This was/is my first attempt at uploading a cd to Rapidshare.  For those of you who would like to hear it, here are the links.  There are two files to download, which need joining with HJSplit to create the RAR archive file which upon joining will give you the complete 4 mvt symphony for extraction.

Anyone who grabs this recording, would you let me know if its been successful at your end upon extraction and listening.

Cheers!!

Gustav Mahler : Symphony No.1 'Titan'

1. I    Langsam.  Schleppend. Wie ein Naturlaut - im Angang sehr gemachlich  12:44
2. II   Kraftig bewegt, doch nicht zu schnell  08:10
3. III  Freierlich und gemessen, ohne zu schleppen  09:38
4  IV  Sturmisch bewegt  17:47

NDR Sinfonieorchester/Kyrill Kondrashin (1981 Recording) 320 kbps/mp3

Links:

http://rapidshare.com/files/42544635/Mahler_1_Kondrashin.rar.001

http://rapidshare.com/files/42551124/Mahler_1_Kondrashin.rar.002

;D

hey great upload! However, can you upload it onto www.mediafire.com ? it's a much better file sharing service, I am sure that the other members will greatly appreciate it.

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: MahlerTitan on July 12, 2007, 11:15:32 AM
hey great upload! However, can you upload it onto www.mediafire.com? it's a much better file sharing service, I am sure that other members will greatly appreciate it.

Yeah, I will have a go, never used Mediafire...may have to pm you if its not easy LOL  ;D

If its as simple as Rapidshare then no probs.

Back later, grub's up!!

George

Quote from: MahlerTitan on July 12, 2007, 11:15:32 AM
hey great upload! However, can you upload it onto www.mediafire.com ? it's a much better file sharing service, I am sure that the other members will greatly appreciate it.

I would also appreciate this, Tony.

I cannot for the life of me figure out this HJsplit thing.  ???

mahlertitan

Quote from: George on July 12, 2007, 06:57:30 PM
I would also appreciate this, Tony.

I cannot for the life of me figure out this HJsplit thing.  ???

why? just use the HJsplit program to join the files.

George

Quote from: MahlerTitan on July 12, 2007, 10:10:22 PM
why? just use the HJsplit program to join the files.

I tried, but for some reason couldn't get it to work.  ???

I have a MAC.

Mark

Quote from: George on July 13, 2007, 05:21:51 PM
I have a MAC.

That's okay, George. There are plenty of support groups these days. ;D

George

Quote from: Mark on July 13, 2007, 05:22:53 PM
That's okay, George. There are plenty of support groups these days. ;D

:P

PSmith08

Quote from: George on July 13, 2007, 05:21:51 PM
I tried, but for some reason couldn't get it to work.  ???

I have a MAC.

So do I.

You need to get the HJSplit Java application. As long as you have Java, it works great. It's what I use for these things. Works great. I recommend it.

George

Quote from: PSmith08 on July 13, 2007, 05:57:26 PM
So do I.

You need to get the HJSplit Java application. As long as you have Java, it works great. It's what I use for these things. Works great. I recommend it.

Thanks!

Do you use the HJSplit.jar or HjSplit.class?

PSmith08

Quote from: George on July 13, 2007, 06:03:45 PM
Thanks!

Do you use the HJSplit.jar or HjSplit.class?

HJSplit.jar

Just download it and park it in a folder somewhere, Applications or otherwise (I have a folder devoted to downloading stuff, separate from the iTunes folder), keep it and open it when you need it.

You have to point it to the directory with all the parts (e.g., .rar.001 so on and so forth) and it will only let you select .001 - joining them into the source file. You can even delete the parts while in HJSplit. You'll need a program like UnRarX to get it out of .rar format.

If you have any trouble, just shoot me a PM.

George

Quote from: PSmith08 on July 13, 2007, 06:14:39 PM
HJSplit.jar

Just download it and park it in a folder somewhere, Applications or otherwise (I have a folder devoted to downloading stuff, separate from the iTunes folder), keep it and open it when you need it.

You have to point it to the directory with all the parts (e.g., .rar.001 so on and so forth) and it will only let you select .001 - joining them into the source file. You can even delete the parts while in HJSplit. You'll need a program like UnRarX to get it out of .rar format.

If you have any trouble, just shoot me a PM.

Thanks!

stingo

Umm why are you using HJSplit AND RAR? I thought RAR splits the files itself when you use a solid archive?

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: stingo on July 14, 2007, 07:24:09 AM
Umm why are you using HJSplit AND RAR? I thought RAR splits the files itself when you use a solid archive?

Uploading to the host, file sizes only accepted with a 100meg limit. 

Hence the splitting of the RAR file into however many parts required.  ie a Mahler 3 at 320kbps = 180meg two files at 90meg.  An upload over 200meg, ie 210meg = a 3 file split.  100/100/10 or 70/70/70 (at the uploaders choice, not exceeding 100meg)

RAR file rejoined at the downloaders end as one file, then unarchived  ;D  Takes an age to upload though, downloads are much easier :D

AnthonyAthletic