The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marvinbrown

oyasumi

Quote from: MahlerTitan on June 03, 2007, 10:32:58 PM
i don't think i can post all the music i downloaded, people might get too jealous....

How many gigs?

mahlertitan

Quote from: oyasumi on June 07, 2007, 09:44:03 AM
How many gigs?

40 gigs on my main desktop
20 gigs on my laptop

none of the music in my collection (quality wise) is lower than 320 kbps.

George

Anyone know where I can download the live version of Maybe I'm Amazed?

George

Quote from: Mark on June 07, 2007, 03:21:00 AM
We've put men on the moon (allegedly ... ;D), but we can't be arsed to implement gapless playback of MP3s as standard.

I think it has something to do with the fact that Britney Spears has not released a concept album, where all the songs run into each other. Perhaps when that happens, it will become a priority...

;)

mahlertitan

Quote from: George on June 07, 2007, 12:21:25 PM
Mahler I'm Amazed at how fast you were! However, what do I do from there? I have no experience with torrents.  :(

well, you are going to need a torrent client, may i suggest utorrent (if you are using PC).
here:
http://www.utorrent.com/

George

Quote from: MahlerTitan on June 07, 2007, 12:46:44 PM
well, you are going to need a torrent client, may i suggest utorrent (if you are using PC).
here:
http://www.utorrent.com/

Sorry to be a pain, but I've got a Mac.

Steve

Quote from: George on June 07, 2007, 12:56:18 PM
Sorry to be a pain, but I've got a Mac.

Another Mac user!  :)

You can use Azureus. It's Java based, and therefore, works on all platforms.

I'm curious , George, what kind of Mac do you have? What browser do you use?

George

Quote from: Steve on June 07, 2007, 12:57:45 PM
Another Mac user!  :)

You can use Azureus. It's Java based, and therefore, works on all platforms.

I'm curious George, what kind of Mac do you have? What browser do you use?

Power Book G4 (It's my girlfriend's)

I use Safari, cause I like the buttons at the top. I have one for "GMG, show new replies." I click it like a Pavlovian dog. 

beclemund

Quote from: marvinbrown on June 07, 2007, 03:09:33 AMMark...your advice would be appreciated here.... what do you play this downloaded music on- an ipod?.  I bought (downloaded) some cds from itunes onto my sister's ipod (she has an ipod photo 20GB) recently and I can hear gaps between the tracks.  Then I tried "burning" the downloaded music onto a cd and I could still hear gaps between the tracks when I played it on my cd player.  I must be doing something wrong??  With symphonies and operas these gaps at the end of tracks are so irritating I gave up and went back to buying cds.  Where did I go wrong?

The wiki that Mark pointed you to gives a good overview of gapless playback. Specific to your issue of gapless playback on an iPod, however, you will want to insure that you have the latest firmware release (it can be downloaded from Apple's website) for your iPod... Gapless support on iPod is a relatively new feature. You'll also want to upgrade to the latest version of iTunes (7.2 is the current release); versions from 7.0 and up support gapless playback. You can set albums for gapless playback from your iTunes library.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

Steve

Quote from: George on June 07, 2007, 01:00:58 PM
Power Book G4 (It's my girlfriend's)

I use Safari, cause I like the buttons at the top. I have one for "GMG, show new replies." I click it like a Pavlovian dog. 

Great machine. Yeah, Safari generally works for me too. Did you find Azureus's site?

George

Quote from: Steve on June 07, 2007, 01:02:43 PM
Great machine. Yeah, Safari generally works for me too. Did you find Azureus's site?

I would actually be happier to just buy the one track that I want. Is there a place other than itunes where a Mac user can buy individual tracks?

BTW, check PM.  ;)

Steve

beclemund

As for downloaded music, I use emusic almost exclusively. They are a great service for purchasing legal downloads at a great price and at higher quality than most of the competitors.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

Steve

Quote from: beclemund on June 07, 2007, 01:12:10 PM
As for downloaded music, I use emusic almost exclusively. They are a great service for purchasing legal downloads at a great price and at higher quality than most of the competitors.

I'm planning on joining. Just trying to figure out which plan to buy.  :)

Mark

Quote from: beclemund on June 07, 2007, 01:01:46 PM
The wiki that Mark pointed you to gives a good overview of gapless playback. Specific to your issue of gapless playback on an iPod, however, you will want to insure that you have the latest firmware release (it can be downloaded from Apple's website) for your iPod... Gapless support on iPod is a relatively new feature. You'll also want to upgrade to the latest version of iTunes (7.2 is the current release); versions from 7.0 and up support gapless playback. You can set albums for gapless playback from your iTunes library.

Does that gapless playback setting work for MP3s already ripped, or only those ripped after you activate that setting? I ask, because with Sony's SonicStage/ATRAC system, you MUST do a complete rip of adjoining tracks to ensure gapless playback. Decide to re-rip one track without its adjoining track, and gapless playback can't happen. Also, the Sony system NEEDS the original CD - purchased tracks are NEVER gapless. I imagine something similar happens with the iPod/iTunes?

Quote from: beclemund on June 07, 2007, 01:12:10 PM

Heartily seconded. A totally problem-free, hassle-free download site. :)

beclemund

Quote from: Mark on June 07, 2007, 01:18:07 PMDoes that gapless playback setting work for MP3s already ripped, or only those ripped after you activate that setting? I ask, because with Sony's SonicStage/ATRAC system, you MUST do a complete rip of adjoining tracks to ensure gapless playback. Decide to re-rip one track without its adjoining track, and gapless playback can't happen. Also, the Sony system NEEDS the original CD - purchased tracks are NEVER gapless. I imagine something similar happens with the iPod/iTunes?

I'm not entirely certain how iTunes makes them gapless. Some discussions suggest that iTunes shoe-horns in a Lame-MP3 header (the Lame MP3 encoder already supported gapless) into the track information for gapless playback, so you wouldn't need to re-rip tracks.

Mark

Quote from: beclemund on June 07, 2007, 01:26:22 PM
I'm not entirely certain how iTunes makes them gapless. Some discussions suggest that iTunes shoe-horns in a Lame-MP3 header (the Lame MP3 encoder already supported gapless) into the track information for gapless playback, so you wouldn't need to re-rip tracks.

Try it out. I bet it doesn't work. :(