The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radi

Mark your calendars everyone, eClassical will have another christmas calendar thing this year, this time BIS with Harmonia Mundi. From Dec 1 to 24 one album from each label each day will be on sale -50%. Past two christmases there have been some really great albums there.

www.eclassical.com

stingo

Quote from: radi on November 15, 2013, 07:56:26 PM
Mark your calendars everyone, eClassical will have another christmas calendar thing this year, this time BIS with Harmonia Mundi. From Dec 1 to 24 one album from each label each day will be on sale -50%. Past two christmases there have been some really great albums there.

www.eclassical.com

Haven't they been doing that throughout? That's how I got the first Feinberg sonatas download last month. Or am I missing something?

radi

Quote from: stingo on November 16, 2013, 02:04:35 AM
Haven't they been doing that throughout? That's how I got the first Feinberg sonatas download last month. Or am I missing something?

Yeah, the Daily Deals promotion goes on throughout the year, but in addition to that they have their christmas promos which tend to have much more recent and hand-picked quality recordings, rather than random back catalogue. (Plus this year there will be Harmonia Mundi albums too)

Brian

eClassical does:
- a daily deal from the BIS back catalogue (usually)
- an Advent calendar of half-price recent issues
- a 40th anniversary sale now through December 31 of 40 top-selling BIS CDs.

Here's my quick field guide to the 40th anniversary sale, with reviews of 15 or so CDs and links to a dozen more.

Wanderer

I came by this promotion and it sounds good; free hi-res tracks from Linn Records.

24-bits of Christmas

amw

From the share-o-sphere, a substantial but neglected piano cycle by a Brazilian modernist composer:

http://inconstantsol.blogspot.co.nz/2013/11/almeida-prado-cartas-celestes-estudio.html

Only available in physical form on an out-of-print 3 LP set, as far as I (and, evidently, the blog contributors) know. I've been dipping into it; rewarding listening so far, though I don't know how well it holds up as a whole.

Mookalafalas

For those with an interest in such things, Demonoid is back.
It's all good...

SBookman

Quote from: Cato on October 01, 2013, 06:12:53 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this Russian website?
Sir,
Yes, I paid. No complaints, no wait, but one at a time.

http://classical-music-online.net/en/composers/O

I have tested it and so far it seems marvelous!  Under "O" one finds e.g. all the symphonies of Ovchinnikov, plus his classic film scores.  Check out Leo Ornstein.

They also offer the only stereo recording of Taneyev's opera The Oresteia.  (It takes a while to download, or at least it takes a while for my connection.)

For $20. via PayPal one gets "unlimited" hearing for 3 years: I was wondering if anyone had paid this fee and if so, were you satisfied.

Wakefield

This looks as an interesting offer:3,59 € for the RIAS Amadeus Quartet Mozart Recordings (Mozart: String Quartets, String Quintets & Clarinet Quintet) - CD quality (Lossless 16 bits 44,1 kHz):

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/the-rias-amadeus-quartet-mozart-recordings-mozart-string-quartets-string-quintets-clarinet-quintet-amadeus-quartet/4022143214270
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

marsia

Quote from: radi on November 15, 2013, 07:56:26 PM

www.eclassical.com

thanx for the link!

Wakefield

Presto Classical

Decca Sound: The Analogue Years 1969 – 1980 (32 hours 12 minutes)
[asin]B00E0H8KAQ[/asin]

MP3 (320 kbps) $25.75
CD Quality FLAC (lossless, 44.1 kHz, 16 bit) $32.25

I downloaded the FLAC version. It sounds excellent.  :)

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4786111#download
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Cato

Quote from: Cato on October 01, 2013, 10:50:05 AM
Thanks for the response!  I would hate to get hooked on the site, and then see it tank for lack of funds!  That is why I was wondering about donating online.

"Spectacular" is correct!  Other examples are the 3 Piano Sonatas of Protopopov, Vyshnegradsky's Transparence for Ondes Martenot and 1/4-tone pianos, Busoni's Violin Concerto, and his operas Turandot and Doctor Faust, 2 operas by Mehul, and on and on!

I just came across a performance of the incredible Protopopov Sonata #1 by a Russian pianist named Daniel Ekimovsky who seems not to have known that Afros on white guys died with Bob Ross!   0:)

Despite that: it is some performance!  The one available on YouTube has static throughout for some reason, so this is an improvement, although the quality is again not the best. 

http://classical-music-online.net/en/listen/131965
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

geralmar

Bach's complete works for organ can be downloaded free from a University of Michigan website:

http://www.blockmrecords.org/bach/

DaveF

Good bit of customer service from Qobuz today - I discovered about 10 seconds of what sounds like static interference on a recently-purchased download and e-mailed them.  Reply came back within 5 minutes - Sorry, it's on the original disc, just let us know what you'd like as a replacement.  Not bad, I thought (although really good customer service would have been "Here you go, we've just re-ripped it and please find attached a copy of the offending track, minus faults".  But you can't have everything.)
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

EigenUser

Quote from: DaveF on March 15, 2016, 01:59:47 PM
Good bit of customer service from Qobuz today - I discovered about 10 seconds of what sounds like static interference on a recently-purchased download and e-mailed them.  Reply came back within 5 minutes - Sorry, it's on the original disc, just let us know what you'd like as a replacement.  Not bad, I thought (although really good customer service would have been "Here you go, we've just re-ripped it and please find attached a copy of the offending track, minus faults".  But you can't have everything.)
I would have just assumed it was Stockhausen >:D >:D :laugh:
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

DaveF

Quote from: EigenUser on March 16, 2016, 12:10:09 AM
I would have just assumed it was Stockhausen >:D >:D :laugh:

You're not far off, actually - German, iconoclastic - step forward, Herr Hindemith.  Incidentally, it's probably immoral of me to say this, but if Qobuz haven't rectified this fault, you can basically get the album for free - the complete viola music played by Kim Kashkashian, and the fault is at the end of Disc 1, track 3.  I'm getting http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/lutoslawski-symphonies-concertos-etc-witold-lutoslawski/5099921531859 as a "replacement" (although I still get to keep over 2 hours of fault-free Kashkashian violistic gymnastics.)

amw

Quote from: DaveF on March 15, 2016, 01:59:47 PM
Qobuz gets files direct from the labels, they don't actually have any CDs I'm aware of. And they're in hot water with the labels due to bankruptcy, so requests directed at labels for new files are likely to be ignored—more trouble than they're worth.

A year or two back I found an album of string quartets where all of the tracks were in fact oboe music, and bore no relation to the actual album details. I didn't buy it, just streamed it; and when I reported it to them they checked and were like "yeah, that's a label problem, we'll ask them for new files." Did a search for that album a couple of weeks ago and found that it's still an oboe album. Perhaps they would have addressed it more urgently if I'd actually paid money for it, but I doubt it.

DaveF

Quote from: amw on March 16, 2016, 03:58:30 AM
Did a search for that album a couple of weeks ago and found that it's still an oboe album. Perhaps they would have addressed it more urgently if I'd actually paid money for it, but I doubt it.

The Hindemith likewise remains with its 15 seconds of overdubbed Stockhausen and, from what you say, seems likely to remain that way.  Well, I can only repeat my advice to anyone wanting a download for (currently) £15.59 from Qobuz, and who also would quite like the Hindemith (which is astonishingly good btw, although I'm a viola player and Hindemith-fan, so I would say that): buy that, complain about track 3, claim your free replacement...

Andante

Quote from: Mookalafalas on March 31, 2014, 05:51:30 AM
For those with an interest in such things, Demonoid is back.
I did my first down load via Demonoid a few years ago  >:D
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Crassus

Bought these two Bernstein Mahler recordings from High Definition Tape Transfers (HDTT)

DSD128 Direct Stream Digital

https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/products/mahler-symphony-no-7-leonard-bernstein-conducts-the-new-york-philharmonic

DXD 24bit - 352.8khz PCM Flac

https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/products/mahler-symphony-no-8-leonard-bernstein-london-symphony-orchestra

Listening to the 8th now. I've never heard this recording before. I love Bernstein's interpretation. It sounds fabulous in audiophile sound  :)