Author Topic: The Classical Download Thread  (Read 282221 times)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
Free Signum Digital Sampler at Presto Classical
« Reply #860 on: March 20, 2020, 05:49:34 AM »
I just received an email from Presto Classical (a great company based in the UK from which one can order classical music in either physical or digital format).  Signum is currently allowing their customers to download a 90 minute sampler from albums that they've put out over the years.  Could be a fun way to see which, if any, albums of theirs you might wish to purchase.   :)

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8335420--signum-digital-sampler?utm_source=News-2020-03-20&utm_medium=email

Best wishes,

PD

p.s.  If there is already a thread on something like this, please feel free to move it there.

Offline TMHeimer

• Currently Listening to:
    professional clarinetist
Re: The Classical Download Thread
« Reply #861 on: March 27, 2020, 10:04:11 AM »
Downloading music (legally or illegally) has decimated the free concerts by bands in our area. In maybe the 50s or 60s the AF of M (musicians union) struck a deal with record companies so a small % of money spent on records (and later cassettes, VHSs, CDs & DVDs) went into the Music Performance Trust Fund. This money went to paying us musicians playing free concerts for the public (ie. summer night concerts "under the stars"). About 20 years ago this quickly began to die out as people began to download music. Fund raising could not in most cases cover the lost money and bands dried up. The only reason the group I play in, the Westchester Band has been able to keep half of it's concerts was due to the generosity of the audience people of Scarsdale, NY. Somewhat recently the AF of M struck a deal with the digital people to once again get a little money back into the Fund--we haven't seen results at all where I play--probably because downloading legally costs a fraction of buying a record or DVD. I quit the union in 2008 after 35 years. Wrote the union president and he said that the Fund doesn't (didn't) exist for people like me who only play such concerts (as opposed to orchestras and contracts), and that I should continue paying union dues to support my FELLOW MUSICIANS. Sorry, not doing that....

The local symphony where I used to play, the Yonkers Philharmonic continued on with it's normal season. But that was always only 3-4 concerts from Fall to Spring anyway, so I guess city parks money and fund raising has kept that one going.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:15:01 AM by TMHeimer »
The Most Advanced Clarinet Book
tomheimer.ampbk.com/
austinmacauley.com/author/heimer-tom
(click on book image, PDF samples)