The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Since you have blocked your personal in box for my messages, you leave me no option than to ask you on this thread, to stop spamming with your site too.
If you are against Rod spamming GMG, than stop doing the same thing with your site.
We do not need another reserve site, in case GMG goes down.
But that's only my two cents of course.
Thank you my friend.

Mark

Just read some exciting news in this month's Gramophone: the Lyrita label has joined the fold over at eMusic. Terrific news for those of us who regularly download from that site. For me, it means I can 'risk' a purchase of the Ma recording of Finzi's Cello Concerto without risking very much at all. :D

Mr. Darcy

Woah... That's creepy. I just noticed the Lyrita additions, too, and the first thing (but certainly not the only thing) that popped into my head was that Finzi Concerto with Ma... :o

bhodges

Thanks to a great blog called The Rambler, here's an electroacoustic mix called Mass for Oscillator and Tape, about an hour long.

--Bruce

Solitary Wanderer

I want to get:

Haydn's String Quartet Op.64 #4

via FREE download. I'm late buying a cd for a concert next week and I've never downloaded a music mp3 before  :o

I tried the emusic site, but they're wanting my cc details and are going to charge my card on a monthly basis and as [at this stage] I anticipate this being a one-off, I don't want to go down that track.

Any ideas? [links]  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Mark

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on November 07, 2007, 02:02:16 PM
I want to get:

Haydn's String Quartet Op.64 #4

via FREE download. I'm late buying a cd for a concert next week and I've never downloaded a music mp3 before  :o

I tried the emusic site, but they're wanting my cc details and are going to charge my card on a monthly basis and as [at this stage] I anticipate this being a one-off, I don't want to go down that track.

Any ideas? [links]  :)

Chris, panic not. If you sign up to eMusic, you should get 25 free downloads. Grab whatever you want, then immediately cancel (well, within 14 days :D). You'll not get charged a cent, I promise. ;)

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Mark on November 07, 2007, 02:05:25 PM
Chris, panic not. If you sign up to eMusic, you should get 25 free downloads. Grab whatever you want, then immediately cancel (well, within 14 days :D). You'll not get charged a cent, I promise. ;)

Thanks Mark. Done it.  :)

So I can now drag the file into Nero and burn a cd?
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Mark

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on November 07, 2007, 02:19:33 PM
Thanks Mark. Done it.  :)

So I can now drag the file into Nero and burn a cd?

Yep. Nero will analyse it, create a temporary WAV image and burn this to a CD-R.

Incidentally, now that you're on eMusic, be sure to have a really good look around. Downloading new and interesting stuff that's not on the major labels can become quite addictive ... or at least, so I've found. :D

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Mark on November 07, 2007, 02:23:20 PM
Yep. Nero will analyse it, create a temporary WAV image and burn this to a CD-R.

Incidentally, now that you're on eMusic, be sure to have a really good look around. Downloading new and interesting stuff that's not on the major labels can become quite addictive ... or at least, so I've found. :D

Ok, next dumb question  ;) I downloaded the movements in the correct sequence 1-4, but they have burnt in the wrong order  >:( Whats the trick to getting this right?  :)

Mark

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on November 07, 2007, 03:02:29 PM
Ok, next dumb question  ;) I downloaded the movements in the correct sequence 1-4, but they have burnt in the wrong order  >:( Whats the trick to getting this right?  :)

When you have all four tracks in the Nero window and ready to burn, take a look at the track lengths of each. Compare these with the files you downloaded, then simply drag each file into the correct numerical order from top to bottom. ;)

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Mark on November 07, 2007, 03:05:45 PM
When you have all four tracks in the Nero window and ready to burn, take a look at the track lengths of each. Compare these with the files you downloaded, then simply drag each file into the correct numerical order from top to bottom. ;)

Ok  ;) Thats straight forward enough; I'll do it again.

Thank Mark  :)

Solitary Wanderer

Now, the file size instead of the track length is showing in Nero; I can suss out that, but it won't let me move them around. I can move image files in Nero but not mp3's?

Solitary Wanderer

Ok got it. By mousing over the mp3 file in my folder I could see the times then I dragged one file at a time into Nero.

Now the burning  :)

Solitary Wanderer

It was an easy way to obtain music, however...

There were no 'gaps' between the tracks so they all but ran into each other; I like a breather between movements.

My handwriting on the CD-R dosen't look great  ::)

No cover art  :( I couldn't see where you can download that from on emusic.

But, I will spend some more time investigating this 'medium'.  :)

Mark

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on November 08, 2007, 10:33:13 AM
There were no 'gaps' between the tracks so they all but ran into each other; I like a breather between movements.

You can manually adjust the amount of seconds between tracks in Nero when you're preparing to burn to CD-R. ;)

QuoteMy handwriting on the CD-R dosen't look great  ::)

Buy or download for free some CD facia/cover printing software. Get some good quality labels and either hijack artwork from websites or create your own.

QuoteNo cover art  :( I couldn't see where you can download that from on emusic.

I do a right-click then 'Save picture as' on the tiny 155 x 155 pixel images eMusic uses, then use AudioShell from Softpointer (a piece of freeware) to append the cover image to each MP3 file. If you want better cover art for printing, I believe there are now plenty of free and pay-for sites offering to hunt down such images for you.

Overall, Chris, why bother burning to CD-R? Get yourself a high-capacity MP3 player, the necessary dock and cables, and hook the lot up to your hifi. It'll save you a fortune in CD-Rs in the long run, and before too long, you'll have a massive download collection that's every bit as fascinating and enjoyable as your physical CD collection. :)

Solitary Wanderer

You're a font of information Mark  :)

I'm resisting the mp3 thing...

The mp3 player etc would make sense if I were to move in this direction.

Maybe I'm 'old school' but computer file mp3's just don't seem to have the same value to me as a physical cd  :-\

Mark

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on November 08, 2007, 02:06:37 PM
... computer file mp3's just don't seem to have the same value to me as a physical cd  :-\

Nor to me. But shortage of space and convenience of portability (along with massively decreased costs enabling greater exploration) have driven me to adopt and embrace MP3s in recent years.

marvinbrown

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on November 08, 2007, 02:06:37 PM
You're a font of information Mark  :)

I'm resisting the mp3 thing...

The mp3 player etc would make sense if I were to move in this direction.

Maybe I'm 'old school' but computer file mp3's just don't seem to have the same value to me as a physical cd  :-\

I am facing a similar "mental struggle" situation to yours Solitary Wanderer.  But I see that the trends are moving in the direction of mp3/digital music and I am always fascinated by the likes of Mark who know more about this new technology than I'll ever know and are light years ahead of me.  I find myself going to the Apple store often just to educate myself- but the resistence to mp3 is alive and well in my head and is something that I am going to have to overcome one of these days- I sense that if I keep sticking to physical cds time untimately will not be on my side  :-\, remember cassettes look what happened to that technology  ::) .

marvin

Mark

Quote from: marvinbrown on November 08, 2007, 02:28:12 PM
But I see that the trends are moving in the direction of mp3/digital music and I am always fascinated by the likes of Mark who know more about this new technology than I'll ever know and are light years ahead of me.

I wouldn't say I was that far ahead, Marvin. Plenty of members here are much more advanced in the digital revolution than I. My fascination came about because, from the age of about 13 or 14, I'd always dreamed of being able to carry all my music (not much, at that time) around in a little box which I could plug headphones into and enjoy whenever I wanted. Of course, cassettes were around then, and I must confess I loved that technology if only for its portability. But it wasn't enough.

Then in 2003, I began experimenting with ripping music from CDs to my PC. I did everything using Windows Media Player, but made the (as it would turn out) costly mistake of choosing the .wma format for my outputted files. These were a heavy drain on my first MP3 player - a Creative MuVo2 with a 1.5Gb HDD - so I began re-ripping hundreds of CDs, this time into MP3 format. Sadly, after two years, I lost all of these when my HDD failed; I'd not made back-ups, so I was pretty pissed off at myself for being so stupid. >:(

A little while later, I bought a Sony MP3 player, and started ripping everything to their own ATRAC3Plus format: the big advantage being that music played back exactly as it did on the original CDs, with no annoying gaps (I'm a passionate believer that gapless playback should be standard by now on ALL digital audio devices). But Sony's software sucked, and the device went wrong. So, I was stumped once again - loads of tracks ripped, nothing to play them on.

Last year, I took a 'year off' from downloads, MP3 players and the like, and just spun CDs. It was glorious. And laborious. Having to cart around so much hardware when on the move. It drove me back into the arms of Creative, and I found my heaven in flash-based players (as opposed to HDD units, which have moving parts that can fail). After going through seven different devices in 3-4 years - at no inconsiderable cost, I might add - I'm now very happy. And when I discovered eMusic, that happiness was close to complete. :)

marvinbrown

Quote from: Mark on November 08, 2007, 02:45:43 PM
I wouldn't say I was that far ahead, Marvin. Plenty of members here are much more advanced in the digital revolution than I. My fascination came about because, from the age of about 13 or 14, I'd always dreamed of being able to carry all my music (not much, at that time) around in a little box which I could plug headphones into and enjoy whenever I wanted. Of course, cassettes were around then, and I must confess I loved that technology if only for its portability. But it wasn't enough.

Then in 2003, I began experimenting with ripping music from CDs to my PC. I did everything using Windows Media Player, but made the (as it would turn out) costly mistake of choosing the .wma format for my outputted files. These were a heavy drain on my first MP3 player - a Creative MuVo2 with a 1.5Gb HDD - so I began re-ripping hundreds of CDs, this time into MP3 format. Sadly, after two years, I lost all of these when my HDD failed; I'd not made back-ups, so I was pretty pissed off at myself for being so stupid. >:(

A little while later, I bought a Sony MP3 player, and started ripping everything to their own ATRAC3Plus format: the big advantage being that music played back exactly as it did on the original CDs, with no annoying gaps (I'm a passionate believer that gapless playback should be standard by now on ALL digital audio devices). But Sony's software sucked, and the device went wrong. So, I was stumped once again - loads of tracks ripped, nothing to play them on.

Last year, I took a 'year off' from downloads, MP3 players and the like, and just spun CDs. It was glorious. And laborious. Having to cart around so much hardware when on the move. It drove me back into the arms of Creative, and I found my heaven in flash-based players (as opposed to HDD units, which have moving parts that can fail). After going through seven different devices in 3-4 years - at no inconsiderable cost, I might add - I'm now very happy. And when I discovered eMusic, that happiness was close to complete. :)

I am glad to hear that despite all the trouble you went through, you came out ahead.  I too relish the idea of having to carry all my music on one player.  I am sorry to hear that your HDD failed as it did, I always thought those would last a lifetime (a human lifetime).  To a newcomer to this mp3/digital technology as I and probably Solitary Wanderer know, one has to get passed certain unjustified fears.  I think part of the problem is that there is a sense that you have to learn as you go with this digital technology and because this technology changes radically over a period of a few months  if not weeks the situation becomes overwhelming to someone who is not a computer expert such as myself.  I wouldn't know the difference between various formats mp3/AAC etc. or how to convert from one to another or which players play which formats.  Too many products on the market and with the Apple ipod being promoted the way it is, one doesn't know where to begin or where to go.

marvin