The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: marvinbrown on November 08, 2007, 02:28:12 PM
remember cassettes look what happened to that technology  ::) .
marvin

Oh yes! I have about 500 cassettes in snazzy trays which haven't been touched in years. [In fact I haven't had a tape player in about 10 years!]

Theres about 300 classical tapes in those from my teenage years.

I proberly couldn't give them away now - they have retained no value, unlike the LP.

:)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: marvinbrown on November 08, 2007, 03:07:09 PM
   I think part of the problem is that there is a sense that you have to learn as you go with this digital technology and because this technology changes radically over a period of a few months  if not weeks the situation becomes overwhelming to someone who is not a computer expert such as myself.  I wouldn't know the difference between various formats mp3/AAC etc. or how to convert from one to another or which players play which formats. 

marvin

<nods>

But, for me the portability arguement isn't a factor. I don't have long work commutes or such. I spend most of my day in my home office where I listen to music on my PC.

If I'm driving somewhere I grab a cd. When I'm doing a 5+ hour photography shoot on location I grab 3+ cds  ;)

However, when I'm learning a new piece of music for an upcoming concert the mp3 idea could be a good one. Sometimes I'm buying a cd for one short piece of music whereas downloading the one mp3 could make sense.  :-\
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

marvinbrown

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on November 08, 2007, 04:03:58 PM

Sometimes I'm buying a cd for one short piece of music whereas downloading the one mp3 could make sense.  :-\

Another excellent reason to get into the mp3/digital technology.

marvin

Solitary Wanderer

Help!

I'm trying to download some mp3's from emusic and they are ending up as EMP's which I can't open. Whats happening?  :)

George

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on November 10, 2007, 05:10:43 PM
Help!

I'm trying to download some mp3's from emusic and they are ending up as EMP's which I can't open. Whats happening?  :)

Haven't heard of that problem.

Mark

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on November 10, 2007, 05:10:43 PM
Help!

Have you downloaded eMusic's default Download Manager program? I found that unless this was installed (although, it doesn't need to be enabled), MP3 files came down with the wrong file extensions. ???

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Mark on November 11, 2007, 12:53:52 AM
Have you downloaded eMusic's default Download Manager program? I found that unless this was installed (although, it doesn't need to be enabled), MP3 files came down with the wrong file extensions. ???

Yep, I'd downloaded that and it worked fine the first time.

I've just gone into that manager programme again and opened the files with the wrong extensions and it seems to be working ok now converting them.

Thanks  :)

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Mark on November 08, 2007, 01:52:32 PM
You can manually adjust the amount of seconds between tracks in Nero when you're preparing to burn to CD-R. ;)

Mark, how do I do this? I've had a look but can't suss it out  :-\

Mark

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on November 11, 2007, 01:54:39 PM
Mark, how do I do this? I've had a look but can't suss it out  :-\

When you've got all the tracks that you want to burn in the relevant Nero window, right-click on each one in turn and choose 'Properties'. You'll see there's a setting to adjust the gap (it's 2 seconds by default) - just type in however long you want the gap to be and click 'Apply'. Be warned, however: you can't modify the very first track in the list of those to be burned. Why? Because the gap is actually added to the BEGINNING of a track, not the end. And Nero likes to stipulate the beginning of the first track to be burned is always 2-3 seconds. Also, if you want a gap of, say, 8 seconds between the end of one work and the start of the next, be sure to add those 8 seconds to the first track that begins the following work, not the last track that ends the preceeding one, if you get my meaning. ;)

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Mark on November 11, 2007, 02:15:47 PM
When you've got all the tracks that you want to burn in the relevant Nero window, right-click on each one in turn and choose 'Properties'. You'll see there's a setting to adjust the gap (it's 2 seconds by default) - just type in however long you want the gap to be and click 'Apply'. Be warned, however: you can't modify the very first track in the list of those to be burned. Why? Because the gap is actually added to the BEGINNING of a track, not the end. And Nero likes to stipulate the beginning of the first track to be burned is always 2-3 seconds. Also, if you want a gap of, say, 8 seconds between the end of one work and the start of the next, be sure to add those 8 seconds to the first track that begins the following work, not the last track that ends the preceeding one, if you get my meaning. ;)

Yeah I tried that, but theres no 'options' for adjusting in Properties  ???

Mark

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on November 11, 2007, 03:12:53 PM
Yeah I tried that, but theres no 'options' for adjusting in Properties  ???

Are you saying you can't see what I've attached?

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Mark on November 11, 2007, 11:11:12 PM
Are you saying you can't see what I've attached?

Yes, thats right.

I'm going into 'Copy Data', so maybe its in a different Nero option?

Mark

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on November 12, 2007, 10:15:45 AM
Yes, thats right.

I'm going into 'Copy Data', so maybe its in a different Nero option?

You want the 'Make Audio CD' function. ;)

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Mark on November 12, 2007, 10:45:29 AM
You want the 'Make Audio CD' function. ;)

I'll try burning another disc later today via that option. Thanks.  :)

Lilas Pastia

Much to my amazement, I tried to dowload the whole Bruckner 5th (87 minutes) on a single disc using Burrn and it worked :o. The program told me the burning had failed, but it's all there and after sampling, the sound is very immediate. Will I experience any loss in sound quality or playback problem??

mahlertitan

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on November 14, 2007, 06:29:42 PM
Much to my amazement, I tried to dowload the whole Bruckner 5th (87 minutes) on a single disc using Burrn and it worked :o. The program told me the burning had failed, but it's all there and after sampling, the sound is very immediate. Will I experience any loss in sound quality or playback problem??

it's impossible if it's CD-R. Did you listen through the entire thing?

Lilas Pastia

Not yet. But my cd player does announce 86:57 and the beginning of all four movements are there. I'll find out this weekend.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on November 15, 2007, 04:43:25 AM
Not yet. But my cd player does announce 86:57 and the beginning of all four movements are there. I'll find out this weekend.

there are discs out there that allows you to burn more than 80 minutes of music.

Mark

Quote from: GBJGZW on November 15, 2007, 08:41:35 AM
there are discs out there that allows you to burn more than 80 minutes of music.

They're called hard drives. ;D

mahlertitan

Quote from: Mark on November 15, 2007, 09:37:08 AM
They're called hard drives. ;D

I guess there are CD-R out there that can go above 80 minutes, but those are very rare.