The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlito77

Quote from: Cato on October 01, 2013, 06:12:53 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this Russian website?

http://classical-music-online.net/en/composers/O

I have tested it and so far it seems marvelous!  Under "O" one finds e.g. all the symphonies of Ovchinnikov, plus his classic film scores.  Check out Leo Ornstein.

They also offer the only stereo recording of Taneyev's opera The Oresteia.  (It takes a while to download, or at least it takes a while for my connection.)

For $20. via PayPal one gets "unlimited" hearing for 3 years: I was wondering if anyone had paid this fee and if so, were you satisfied.

Excellent site. For a modest donation, you have full access to their musical database to download. Though you can download music for free, there is a limit as oppose to those who make a donation. I have no complaints and would encourage anybody to at least make a donation It's not cheap maintaining their servers and they do provide a great service for those who love classical music.

Spineur

;D
Quote from: carlito77 on December 24, 2016, 11:43:18 AM
Excellent site. For a modest donation, you have full access to their musical database to download. Though you can download music for free, there is a limit as oppose to those who make a donation. I have no complaints and would encourage anybody to at least make a donation It's not cheap maintaining their servers and they do provide a great service for those who love classical music.
Is it streaming ?

carlito77

Quote from: Spineur on January 09, 2017, 09:10:16 AM
;DIs it streaming ?

Yes they do stream any composition you choose in their database but you can also download it.

Zeus

"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Kontrapunctus

I recently joined the ranks of downloaders. I plan to download only recordings that are higher resolution than RBCDs but will still buy SACDs. Of course, if a CD I want isn't available in a download, then I'll buy it. The 8 or so "hi-res" (24bit 96k) ones I've bought so far all sound great.

Spineur

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on February 09, 2017, 05:50:58 PM
I recently joined the ranks of downloaders. I plan to download only recordings that are higher resolution than RBCDs but will still buy SACDs. Of course, if a CD I want isn't available in a download, then I'll buy it. The 8 or so "hi-res" (24bit 96k) ones I've bought so far all sound great.
I have hundreds, and got increasingly annoyed of the price difference between the hires and regular CD prices.  For a long time it was in the 20-30% range, which was alright for me.  Now, it is often 50-66% more, a price difference which isnt warranted IMO.

andolink

I've heard numerous audio engineer types adamantly state that any higher resolution that 16 bit/44.1 khz (standard CD quality) is entirely beyond the range of human hearing and that the whole hi-res. thing is a pure marketing scam.  That's why I've never been tempted to go that route.
Stereo: PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player>>PS Audio DirectStream DAC >>Dynaudio 9S subwoofer>>Merrill Audio Thor Mono Blocks>>Dynaudio Confidence C1 II's (w/ Brick Wall Series Mode Power Conditioner)

eljr

Quote from: andolink on February 09, 2017, 10:48:48 PM
I've heard numerous audio engineer types adamantly state that any higher resolution that 16 bit/44.1 khz (standard CD quality) is entirely beyond the range of human hearing and that the whole hi-res. thing is a pure marketing scam.  That's why I've never been tempted to go that route.

I don't know about it being purely a marketing scam as higher resolution is indeed higher resolution.

Best, maybe, to stick to fact not opinion. Hi-Rez generally fails in double blind tests set up to distinguish between 16 bit/44.1 khz and higher resolution.

of course MP3 generally does not do much worse either

I am of the camp that I prefer the best resolution available.... knowing I likely will hear no difference.
"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

Todd

Kimiko Ishizaka's recording of the Goldbergs is available for $0.00 here.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

I don't know if this has been posted about before, but http://www.classiccat.net/ has links to hundreds/thousands of free MP3s of a variety of recordings.

Todd

Turns out that Ms Ishizaka also recorded the first book of the 48, which is also available for free using the same link from above.  The downloads are available in multiple formats, including high res FLAC and WAV.  Robert Douglass appears to have posted on this forum before under the user name Open Goldberg.  The two of them put together a Kickstarter campaign to record Chopin's Preludes on an 1842 Pleyel, as well, which hopefully will also be available for free under a Creative Commons license.  In addition to all that, Ms Ishizaka used to be a successful competitive powerlifter and Olympic lifter.  I got me some listening to do.

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Todd on June 11, 2017, 06:10:34 AM

Thanks for the link. I offered $1.00--didn't feel like completely taking advantage! Those who want hi-res be sure to select the FLAC version, as it defaults to MP3 and you get only one download. (I learned this the hard way--had to buy it twice!) I've only had a chance to sample it, but the audio and her playing are excellent.

Todd

It looks like it has been eight years since it was last mentioned, but the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum has a now vast music library available on MP3.  Many/most/all are also available on YouTube.  There are many performances from notable artists of today - Jumppanen, Denk, Weilerstein, Biss, and so forth.  The price is right.

Todd

Pianist Michael Houstoun offers a variety of free downloads via Bandcamp, in a variety of formats including lossless, through his website: http://www.michaelhoustoun.co.nz/discs_bandcamp.html

Ghost Sonata

I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

stingo

Quote from: Todd on June 11, 2017, 06:10:34 AM

I subscribe to her work on bandcamp for 20 euros a year. I think her current (kickstarter) project is recording the Art of the Fugue.

torut

Quote from: stingo on August 24, 2017, 08:05:32 AM
I subscribe to her work on bandcamp for 20 euros a year. I think her current (kickstarter) project is recording the Art of the Fugue.

It is almost there but still has not reached the goal. 56 hours to go.

Libre Art of the Fugue

Todd

CD Baby currently offers 70 free classical downloads.  Most titles are not exactly enticing, but I found three that I'm getting.  CD Baby offers about 2,600 free titles total in all genres.  Downloads are available as MP3 and FLAC.

Todd

This may have been mentioned already, but Paperback Classics (http://www.rediscovery.us/paperbacks.html) has a variety of free downloads available as 320 MP3s.

Todd