The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

I just received an email from Presto Classical (a great company based in the UK from which one can order classical music in either physical or digital format).  Signum is currently allowing their customers to download a 90 minute sampler from albums that they've put out over the years.  Could be a fun way to see which, if any, albums of theirs you might wish to purchase.   :)

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8335420--signum-digital-sampler?utm_source=News-2020-03-20&utm_medium=email

Best wishes,

PD

p.s.  If there is already a thread on something like this, please feel free to move it there.
Pohjolas Daughter

TMHeimer

Downloading music (legally or illegally) has decimated the free concerts by bands in our area. In maybe the 50s or 60s the AF of M (musicians union) struck a deal with record companies so a small % of money spent on records (and later cassettes, VHSs, CDs & DVDs) went into the Music Performance Trust Fund. This money went to paying us musicians playing free concerts for the public (ie. summer night concerts "under the stars"). About 20 years ago this quickly began to die out as people began to download music. Fund raising could not in most cases cover the lost money and bands dried up. The only reason the group I play in, the Westchester Band has been able to keep half of it's concerts was due to the generosity of the audience people of Scarsdale, NY. Somewhat recently the AF of M struck a deal with the digital people to once again get a little money back into the Fund--we haven't seen results at all where I play--probably because downloading legally costs a fraction of buying a record or DVD. I quit the union in 2008 after 35 years. Wrote the union president and he said that the Fund doesn't (didn't) exist for people like me who only play such concerts (as opposed to orchestras and contracts), and that I should continue paying union dues to support my FELLOW MUSICIANS. Sorry, not doing that....

The local symphony where I used to play, the Yonkers Philharmonic continued on with it's normal season. But that was always only 3-4 concerts from Fall to Spring anyway, so I guess city parks money and fund raising has kept that one going.
The Most Advanced Clarinet Book
tomheimer.ampbk.com/
austinmacauley.com/author/heimer-tom
(click on book image, PDF samples)
Boreal Ballad for unaccompanied clarinet solo
(Sheet Music Plus)

Daverz

Qobuz is giving away a few downloads for free.  One of them is the live album of Nielsen concertos from the New York Philharmonic.

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/search?q=qobuz-music-gifts

j winter

Quote from: Daverz on April 29, 2020, 02:31:57 AM
Qobuz is giving away a few downloads for free.  One of them is the live album of Nielsen concertos from the New York Philharmonic.

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/search?q=qobuz-music-gifts

Thankee kindlee for the heads up  :)  I have downloaded several, including the above....
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Papy Oli

Quick question for the Qobuz users please:

I have played around with Qobuz since yesterday in three different ways since setting the account:

1 - their Web player as a tab in my Opera browser on the laptop
2 - their android app on my phone
3 - their windows 64-bit app on the laptop as well

I used (1) most of yesterday for the searches and that worked perfectly. Same for (2) today. e.g. If i do a search for "Naive Vivaldi", click "See All Releases", I get a first set of 20-ish results and then go arrow down to load the next page of results and so on.

In (3), the windows app, however, the second page of results does not load up when i scroll down. I am only left with the first 20 results.

Are you or have you experienced anything similar please ?

Thank you.

Olivier

Roasted Swan

As the soundtrack to some house decorating that self-isolation has finally forced on me I've been downloading some of those old Bach Guild "Big Boxes".  In the US I know they are ridiculously cheap - here in the UK still a very good bargain.  I enjoyed all of the "Big Box of Chamber Music Vol.2" - some interesting repertoire from Berg String Quartet to Dohnanyi and Ravel and the Gounod Wind Symphony (which I'm not sure I'd ever heard before).  All the performances were at least good and some better than that.  A very good way of abdicating having to make choices of listening material every 40 minutes or so and a real pleasure.  Now onto the Choral Box Vol.4 and Big Box of Romantic Orchestral music - some real gems here!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 10, 2020, 07:54:24 AM
As the soundtrack to some house decorating that self-isolation has finally forced on me I've been downloading some of those old Bach Guild "Big Boxes".  In the US I know they are ridiculously cheap - here in the UK still a very good bargain.  I enjoyed all of the "Big Box of Chamber Music Vol.2" - some interesting repertoire from Berg String Quartet to Dohnanyi and Ravel and the Gounod Wind Symphony (which I'm not sure I'd ever heard before).  All the performances were at least good and some better than that.  A very good way of abdicating having to make choices of listening material every 40 minutes or so and a real pleasure.  Now onto the Choral Box Vol.4 and Big Box of Romantic Orchestral music - some real gems here!
I have some of those sets--thanks for reminding me.  I have two Haydn and also the "Little Big Debussy Box".  Realized that I hadn't yet listened to the Debussy one so I'll visit that for a while today.  Lots of artists on there with whom I am not familiar:  Jeffrey Biegel and Ronan O'Hora.

How did the decorating go?

Just looked at one of them on Amazon to see how much they were currently going for.  I think they're $.99 but then if you click on one of the sets, it shows 99 cents next to each track!  If I'm recalling correctly, when I purchased them as downloads, they were on special for $1.99?  and were going for around $4-ish normally?

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 10, 2020, 08:12:51 AM
I have some of those sets--thanks for reminding me.  I have two Haydn and also the "Little Big Debussy Box".  Realized that I hadn't yet listened to the Debussy one so I'll visit that for a while today.  Lots of artists on there with whom I am not familiar:  Jeffrey Biegel and Ronan O'Hora.

How did the decorating go?

Just looked at one of them on Amazon to see how much they were currently going for.  I think they're $.99 but then if you click on one of the sets, it shows 99 cents next to each track!  If I'm recalling correctly, when I purchased them as downloads, they were on special for $1.99?  and were going for around $4-ish normally?

Best,

PD

Hi PD - I have to say my natural aversion to decorating was eased if not erased by listening to this rolling collection of Chamber Music.  I'm much more of a "Symphonic Addict" type - pace our colleague here! - but actually just hearing a sequence of really beautiful chamber music well played was very inspiring!  The Ronan O'Hora recordings were sourced via the RPO/Tring "own label" whcih produced some very fine recordings and performances in its short life.  Jeffrey Biegel recorded for Naxos/Albany etc - good solid playing.......

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 10, 2020, 10:41:59 AM
Hi PD - I have to say my natural aversion to decorating was eased if not erased by listening to this rolling collection of Chamber Music.  I'm much more of a "Symphonic Addict" type - pace our colleague here! - but actually just hearing a sequence of really beautiful chamber music well played was very inspiring!  The Ronan O'Hora recordings were sourced via the RPO/Tring "own label" whcih produced some very fine recordings and performances in its short life.  Jeffrey Biegel recorded for Naxos/Albany etc - good solid playing.......
Does the term "decorating" by you equal "Painting"? Or other things?   ;) :)

Thanks for the info.  A couple of questions:

RPO = Royal Philharmonic Orchestra I'm guess?  Was Ronan O'Hora a real person or one of those pseudonyms re recordings?
"Tring"= New to me?

Currently listening to the Swiss singer Hugues Cuenod...ah peace!  Will have to listen to them more closely at a later time.  Debussy was the right move for me today.  Tried to listen to some "modern" music today, but too trying for my frame of mind.

Best wishes and stay safe,

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 10, 2020, 01:10:36 PM
Does the term "decorating" by you equal "Painting"? Or other things?   ;) :)

Thanks for the info.  A couple of questions:

RPO = Royal Philharmonic Orchestra I'm guess?  Was Ronan O'Hora a real person or one of those pseudonyms re recordings?
"Tring"= New to me?

Currently listening to the Swiss singer Hugues Cuenod...ah peace!  Will have to listen to them more closely at a later time.  Debussy was the right move for me today.  Tried to listen to some "modern" music today, but too trying for my frame of mind.

Best wishes and stay safe,

PD

Decorating means very dull rubbing down paintwork and splashing the matt emulsion around!  So perfect for extended playlists - and Debussy fitted that bill for me as well today.  Tring was the label used by the RPO yes Royal Philharmonic)  for their "own label" recordings back in the early '90's.  It was an excellent series with very good engineering and excellent conductors albeit in mainly core repertoire.  As a concept it didn't last long but these recordings turn up under licence in various guises.  I've collected a lot of them and they range from at least good up to excellent.  Ronan O'Hora is a real pianist and a good one too

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 13, 2020, 12:57:17 PM
Decorating means very dull rubbing down paintwork and splashing the matt emulsion around!  So perfect for extended playlists - and Debussy fitted that bill for me as well today.  Tring was the label used by the RPO yes Royal Philharmonic)  for their "own label" recordings back in the early '90's.  It was an excellent series with very good engineering and excellent conductors albeit in mainly core repertoire.  As a concept it didn't last long but these recordings turn up under licence in various guises.  I've collected a lot of them and they range from at least good up to excellent.  Ronan O'Hora is a real pianist and a good one too
Thanks for the info RS (Do you go by anything else here?).  Well, well done you for making your home brighter, etc.!

I'll file that away should I run across any of them.  Is Ronan O'Hara still performing and/or recording?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

stingo

So Chandos is offering 30% off Chandos downloads til roughly the end of the month. Any suggestions?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: stingo on January 17, 2021, 10:32:04 PM
So Chandos is offering 30% off Chandos downloads til roughly the end of the month. Any suggestions?
I see this currently on their website:  https://www.chandos.net/dailyoffer  Is there something else (or elsewhere) that I'm missing?

Ah, I see it there, under their January sale....I'll give it a think.  Any particular type of music that you enjoy or are interested in exploring right now?  Favorite composers?

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Daverz

Quote from: stingo on January 17, 2021, 10:32:04 PM

The Ben-Haim Symphony 1, Ginastera PC 1, Korngold Symphony (Wilson), Casella Symphony 3, the Halvorsen and Atterberg series.

Pohjolas Daughter

I've heard wonderful things about Bavouzet's Debussy recordings; they've been on my Wish List for some time.  I have other recordings by him that I enjoy:  his Bartok PCs and also the one of Ravel, Debussy and Massenet.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

stingo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 18, 2021, 03:26:48 AM
I see this currently on their website:  https://www.chandos.net/dailyoffer  Is there something else (or elsewhere) that I'm missing?

Ah, I see it there, under their January sale....I'll give it a think.  Any particular type of music that you enjoy or are interested in exploring right now?  Favorite composers?

PD

Nothing particular comes to mind, though I was rather hoping to pick up their Opera in English Ring, but it's unfortunately only available as the individual operas.

stingo

Quote from: Daverz on January 18, 2021, 04:07:50 AM
The Ben-Haim Symphony 1, Ginastera PC 1, Korngold Symphony (Wilson), Casella Symphony 3, the Halvorsen and Atterberg series.

Thanks! I definitely will look into them!

stingo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 18, 2021, 04:30:40 AM
I've heard wonderful things about Bavouzet's Debussy recordings; they've been on my Wish List for some time.  I have other recordings by him that I enjoy:  his Bartok PCs and also the one of Ravel, Debussy and Massenet.

PD

I have Debussy's complete piano works with Kimiko Ishizaka which I very much enjoy, so I will likely put them on my wish list too. Agreed on the Bartok. Will check out the other French recording. He's also on a delightful collection of Pierne's music. (Heard one of the pieces on the radio and had to get the disc).

As a side note, I was rather hoping to get the Dvorak symphonies digitally, but at $46 US the price is a bit high.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: stingo on January 19, 2021, 05:41:19 AM
I have Debussy's complete piano works with Kimiko Ishizaka which I very much enjoy, so I will likely put them on my wish list too. Agreed on the Bartok. Will check out the other French recording. He's also on a delightful collection of Pierne's music. (Heard one of the pieces on the radio and had to get the disc).

As a side note, I was rather hoping to get the Dvorak symphonies digitally, but at $46 US the price is a bit high.
Do you happen to remember which Pierne work it was?  I'll then check to see whether or not I can find it on youtube.  Don't recall having heard any of his music before but am curious.

PD

EDIT:  I'm guessing that this is the album that you purchased? Oh!  I see that there is also a second volume of his works too.
Pohjolas Daughter

stingo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 19, 2021, 06:54:04 AM
Do you happen to remember which Pierne work it was?  I'll then check to see whether or not I can find it on youtube.  Don't recall having heard any of his music before but am curious.

PD

EDIT:  I'm guessing that this is the album that you purchased? Oh!  I see that there is also a second volume of his works too.

I believe it was one of the Ramuntcho Suites that I heard on the radio, but I don't remember which one. If you have spotify, here's the link: (If you don't have spotify I believe you can still listen to music for free but I'm not entirely sure about that.)

https://open.spotify.com/album/49NyS62sKy2SiSNd8FfQxn?si=SzLOrQ4VQpOcuI_gnjXf2Q

And yes, I saw there was a volume 2, which I am considering picking up in the sale.