The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mad Hatter

Quote from: Rod Corkin on January 25, 2008, 06:54:44 AM
I suggest mass 'strikes' should be organised there, ie everyone just simply stop buying ANY music until these fascistic laws are revoked. A good idea, if I do say so myself.

Ah, if only it was workable...

I think hope lies more in artists providing free albums in the hope that you will then pay them for more music. I would very much like to see the record industry wiped from the face of the earth in favour of money going to the people who make the music, rather than promoting it. Oh well, I can dream.

Anyhow, here's Tasmin Little's The Naked Violin. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but it's all solo violin stuff - Bach's third Partita, along with pieces by Patterson and Ysaÿe. (To be honest, I haven't heard of either of them, but I look forward to listening.) The album comes with introductions by Little.

Lethevich

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on January 30, 2008, 01:47:55 AM
Anyhow, here's Tasmin Little's The Naked Violin. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but it's all solo violin stuff - Bach's third Partita, along with pieces by Patterson and Ysaÿe. (To be honest, I haven't heard of either of them, but I look forward to listening.) The album comes with introductions by Little.

Re. the "three step challenge" - she seems a really cool person.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

The Mad Hatter

Quote from: Lethe on January 30, 2008, 05:37:14 AM
Re. the "three step challenge" - she seems a really cool person.

Yes, thank goodness for people like her and Angela Hewitt, for making classical music more accessible.

Did you hear the hippopotamus story on the Bach introduction?  ;D

Brian

On 14 and 15 February, Classicsonline have a download one album, get another album free sale. Usually the "choice selection" of free albums on offer is of middling quality, but this time it has some extraordinary discs indeed:

- Beethoven Symphonies Nos. 1 and 6 - Minnesota Orchestra, Osmo Vanska - one of my favorite CDs of 2007 (see sig)
- From Roland Brautigam's fortepiano Beethoven cycle - sonatas 1-3, 19, and 20
- Scarlatti recital - Yevgeny Sudbin - the debut CD of possibly the best young pianist around
- Elgar Violin Concerto with James Ehnes
- Arensky chamber music - Lajtha Quartet - Arensky's String Quartet No. 2 for violin, viola and two cellos is a forgotten masterpiece; its mournful opening movement strikes me as the minor-key counterpart of the opening of Tchaikovsky's First Quartet. This is probably not the best performance around, but it's the only commonly available one and very well done (my only comparison is a moving live concert of the Quartet I had the luck to hear last November)
- Sharon Bezaly in Mozart's flute quartets
- the Nash Ensemble's Brahms sextets

Be sure to cash in, folks. There is some really good stuff to be had for free - and if you have yet to hear Yevgeny Sudbin, now is the chance to do so. (The "buy one" part of the deal applies to any disc from the complete catalogs of Naxos, Marco Polo, Cedille, Hungaroton, Chandos, and Hanssler, and everything else on the Classicsonline site.) Link to their list of potential free downloads.

uffeviking

My very first venture into this subject of downloading music. I hope I don't make too many goofs!
Rico Saccani has created a website to download most of the classical music he conducted during this 25 years with the Budapest Symphony Orchestra as music director. I checked out the site and it looks great too me; video music samples are of very good quality:

http://www.ricosaccani.com:80/

Mark

This is how classical downloads of the future will be done - in short, they'll be better than your average CD.

http://www.gimell.com/musicstore-download-test-files.aspx

Happily, my equipment plays back 24-bit/96kHz, so I might try out some of these Studio Master Pro files in the future. :)

Harry

I am very old fashioned in this respect. I do not like to download anything, let alone music.
I have to hold the music, see it, smell it, read it.
Not software downloaded on whatever device, to playback, no matter if it is 24 bit.
Having a cd in my hand, perusing the details of the music, admiring the art work, etc, is part and parcel of my enjoyment.

Mark

You have CDs a-plenty to enjoy until your final day, Harry. But in the future, CDs will disappear as broadband speeds increase, cheap hard drive storage grows, and downloads achieve quality superior to that of physical CDs and DVDs.

Harry

Quote from: Mark on March 04, 2008, 12:27:48 AM
You have CDs a-plenty to enjoy until your final day, Harry. But in the future, CDs will disappear as broadband speeds increase, cheap hard drive storage grows, and downloads achieve quality superior to that of physical CDs and DVDs.

Yes I know that. The playback systems will change drastically, and that is okay, but I do not expect to be a participant in this.
That's all... :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mark on March 04, 2008, 12:27:48 AM

I'm not sure why CDs in the future need to be forced out. Not that I'm the grouse Luddite...I mean, I've lived through all kinds of format changes, from 8 track tape, to LPs, to CDs, and happily embraced them all. 

But this new format has me puzzled.

I'm not sure I see a single advantage to the existing CD/playback format. I buy a CD, plop it in my player, and listen. Simple. Much less hassle than the old bulky and dusty LPs and noisy 8 track tapes. And CDs are portable. And virtually indestructible.... All of which means the evolution from the old formats to the CD format came with beneficial perks. It was a step up.

And that's the rub with downloading for me. Where are the perks? I see nothing in the way of clear evolution. I could stand pat and have no sense of missing out on anything. It's status quo.

And believe me I'd jump on the bandwagon in a heartbeat if I felt excited about it.

But it gets worse. In order to download (which I've happily done) I have to put my faith in the hands of two "antagonists" that have proven themselves unpredictable: my computer (its hard drive and beyond), and the host server. Both of which are notorious for, err, 'having issues'. Hard drives can crash, computers can have glitches, and servers can go down at just the wrong time.

Backing up a hard drive is easy enough but an external hard drive is an unnecessary expense for me. I mean, if I have the physical CD I already have my backup. And it's indestructibility is built in. The idea of backing up something I already own - out of fear of losing it - instantly puts the new format behind the curve for me. It's simply a strike against me enjoying it.

Of course, I could burn the download and *bingo* I have my disc. But again, a CDR isn't free. More unnecessary expense. If I buy the CD itself I spare myself the extra hassle.

Then there's the host issues. Servers can go down. If it goes down smack in the middle of a download..............I hate to think of the irritation this would bring.

And last but not least the glitch issues. No computer is immune to technical glitches. They're rare of course and most of the time very minor, but potentially disruptive during a download (like freezing up).

Now, don't get me wrong - none of this is meant to disparage the new format!!!!! I'm not putting it down in any way. Like I said, I've rode many a format change. I'm just saying I haven't really been 'wowed' by downloading yet. Not enough perks yet to make the move worthwhile. 

Ironically, I'm already set up with my current computer arrangement to easily make downloading my primary source for music. My computer's a good one, I have plenty of memory, I've downloaded/burned already, I have my iPod, etc... All I'd need are good computer speakers for central playback.

Even with all that, for my situation, I feel I have my ideal listening set up already with my current playback system (home stereo).

All of which leads me to my above query: is it really necessary to kill off the CD? There's still a viable market for them - I'm living proof of that. And I just don't see the logic in doing away with a format that gives up nothing to 'the newest'. Let me see clear change - along with benefits/perks - before bidding bye-bye to the existing CD.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: Mark on March 03, 2008, 11:57:37 PMHappily, my equipment plays back 24-bit/96kHz, so I might try out some of these Studio Master Pro files in the future. :)
But most likely calculates down to 16bit/44 or 48 kHz :)

marvinbrown

Quote from: donwyn on March 04, 2008, 09:36:21 PM
I'm not sure why CDs in the future need to be forced out. Not that I'm the grouse Luddite...I mean, I've lived through all kinds of format changes, from 8 track tape, to LPs, to CDs, and happily embraced them all. 

But this new format has me puzzled.

I'm not sure I see a single advantage to the existing CD/playback format. I buy a CD, plop it in my player, and listen. Simple. Much less hassle than the old bulky and dusty LPs and noisy 8 track tapes. And CDs are portable. And virtually indestructible.... All of which means the evolution from the old formats to the CD format came with beneficial perks. It was a step up.

And that's the rub with downloading for me. Where are the perks? I see nothing in the way of clear evolution. I could stand pat and have no sense of missing out on anything. It's status quo.

And believe me I'd jump on the bandwagon in a heartbeat if I felt excited about it.

But it gets worse. In order to download (which I've happily done) I have to put my faith in the hands of two "antagonists" that have proven themselves unpredictable: my computer (its hard drive and beyond), and the host server. Both of which are notorious for, err, 'having issues'. Hard drives can crash, computers can have glitches, and servers can go down at just the wrong time.

Backing up a hard drive is easy enough but an external hard drive is an unnecessary expense for me. I mean, if I have the physical CD I already have my backup. And it's indestructibility is built in. The idea of backing up something I already own - out of fear of losing it - instantly puts the new format behind the curve for me. It's simply a strike against me enjoying it.

Of course, I could burn the download and *bingo* I have my disc. But again, a CDR isn't free. More unnecessary expense. If I buy the CD itself I spare myself the extra hassle.

Then there's the host issues. Servers can go down. If it goes down smack in the middle of a download..............I hate to think of the irritation this would bring.

And last but not least the glitch issues. No computer is immune to technical glitches. They're rare of course and most of the time very minor, but potentially disruptive during a download (like freezing up).

Now, don't get me wrong - none of this is meant to disparage the new format!!!!! I'm not putting it down in any way. Like I said, I've rode many a format change. I'm just saying I haven't really been 'wowed' by downloading yet. Not enough perks yet to make the move worthwhile. 

Ironically, I'm already set up with my current computer arrangement to easily make downloading my primary source for music. My computer's a good one, I have plenty of memory, I've downloaded/burned already, I have my iPod, etc... All I'd need are good computer speakers for central playback.

Even with all that, for my situation, I feel I have my ideal listening set up already with my current playback system (home stereo).

All of which leads me to my above query: is it really necessary to kill off the CD? There's still a viable market for them - I'm living proof of that. And I just don't see the logic in doing away with a format that gives up nothing to 'the newest'. Let me see clear change - along with benefits/perks - before bidding bye-bye to the existing CD.

You raise some very good points and convincing ones as well. I still buy CDs and will continue to do so, especially operas as I need to have the libretto in a small booklet.  But I have entered the digital technology age and have ripped all my music on my harddrive.  Carrying CDs around can be quite cumbersome especially when you are travelling, driving etc. I have about 500 CDs in my collection and  I like the idea of all my music being on one mp3/iPod player that fits neatly in my pocket.  I have my whole collection at my finger tips whenever I want it. 

Recently I have started downloading the Bach Suzuki Cantatas from emusic (thanks Mark I owe you one for referring me to that website  :)) as I am collecting these.  I have noticed that some of the new Suzuki cantatas on CD are released in SACD format (I am not sure what that is?? but I do know that I can not import SACD formatted CDs into iTunes).  As it turns out emusic has these same SACD CDs in mp3 format and at a fraction of the price that they can be had from amazon marketplace sellers.  True they are in mp3 format but this is a tradeoff that I am willing to live with.  Plus storage space problems have become less of an issue!!

I am pleased to hear from Mark that new higher quality audio files are now available for downloading.  I think I'd be a very old man or dead before CDs become obsolete but I do believe that one day it will happen.  Such is the nature of technology.

marvin 

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: marvinbrown on March 05, 2008, 12:56:32 AM
  You raise some very good points and convincing ones as well. I still buy CDs and will continue to do so, especially operas as I need to have the libretto in a small booklet.  But I have entered the digital technology age and have ripped all my music on my harddrive.  Carrying CDs around can be quite cumbersome especially when you are travelling, driving etc. I have about 500 CDs in my collection and  I like the idea of all my music being on one mp3/iPod player that fits neatly in my pocket.  I have my whole collection at my finger tips whenever I want it.

Marvin,

Yes, for those who have storage issues I can imagine downloading must be a boon. All the music you need in two square feet of computer.

And traveling, as you said, becomes a snap when you can load up an iPod and clip it on.

Neither of these things has ever been too pressing for me, though. As it is, the only way I can see embracing downloading is if things drastically change for me. Like I suddenly need storage space.

But I admit it's nice to know I have the option if I ever needed it...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mark

Excellent offer from eClassical: grab it with both hands.

Berlioz Requiem - Norrington

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mark on March 14, 2008, 04:42:48 AM
Excellent offer from eClassical: grab it with both hands.

Berlioz Requiem - Norrington

I got an email with this offer a few days ago, as a regular customer. And I wonder whether the discussion with Rikard from eClassical has changed something, for this download comes with pdf files (with the booklet, the inlay and the label) and a jpg with the cover. Is this a first?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mark

Quote from: Jezetha on March 14, 2008, 05:07:31 AM
I got an email with this offer a few days ago, as a regular customer. And I wonder whether the discussion with Rikard from eClassical has changed something, for this download comes with pdf files (with the booklet, the inlay and the label) and a jpg with the cover. Is this a first?

I, too, got an email yesterday. ;)

As to whether or not this is a first: no, it isn't. I've had a couple of downloads from eClassical that have come similarly (if not quite as comprehensively) packaged.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mark on March 14, 2008, 05:17:40 AM
I, too, got an email yesterday. ;)

As to whether or not this is a first: no, it isn't. I've had a couple of downloads from eClassical that have come similarly (if not quite as comprehensively) packaged.

And in that if not quite as comprehensively resides, perhaps, the GMG Factor...  ;)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mark

Quote from: Jezetha on March 14, 2008, 05:22:11 AM
And in that if not quite as comprehensively resides, perhaps, the GMG Factor...  ;)

Here's hoping. ;D

Mark

New release from Naxos is rather nice for those who remain unpoisoned by a certain GMG member's 'advocacy':

Elgar - Part-songs

I'd still recommend the Finzi Singers on Chandos in preference, but there's some lovely singing here, nonetheless.

BachQ

Quote from: Mark on March 15, 2008, 04:08:08 AM
but there's some lovely [Elgarian] singing here, nonetheless.

We'll take your word for that ..........  :D