The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eclassical

Quote from: Daedalus on April 22, 2008, 03:18:44 AM
Does anyone know if converting one file to another file type would result in a loss of quality?

I have downloaded something as a WAV file - if I convert this WAV file to an MP3 file using MediaMonkey or something similar, would this be better than just downloading it again as an MP3? 

Any guidance would be appreciated.

D.

Please note that going from one lossy format, e.g. acc to another lossy format, e.g. mp3 will also mean loss in quality. This is because the converter will most likely go from lossy format 1 to WAV and then to lossy format 2, which means compressing again in the last step.

Same thing applies if you want to save your DRM infested music before it might be rendered obsolete (as will happen with your MSN Music files if you change computer or OS after September this year when Microsoft will discontinue its DRM servers) by creating a CD from the files and then rip the CD to MP3 or Ogg etc. It will then be compressed a second time and you will lose quality. This is only one reason for not purchasing files that are defective by DRM.

George:

This seems to be a good ripper for MAC:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21952

//Rikard

bhodges

Got this press release in my inbox awhile ago for HDtracks, a new download service by the founders of Chesky Records.  It sounds pretty great, but has anyone heard anything about this?  (Unfortunately, the website says it's only available in the U.S. at the moment.)

--Bruce

For Press Information:
Doug Wright
Giles Communications
914-798-4115
dwright@giles.com

HDtracks.com Offers Discerning Music Fans DRM-Free*
CD-quality Downloads from Leading Independent Labels

Exciting new avenue for iPod and mp3 users delivers high-resolution files
compatible with any device, plus full liner notes

New York City, April 29, 2008 – HDtracks, founded by David and Norman Chesky of the audiophile record label Chesky Records, today announces the launch of its ambitious audiophile-quality music download Web site (www.hdtracks.com) that offers music enthusiasts high-resolution recordings from a distinguished and diverse stable of thousands of  artists, including Smokey Robinson, Joe Jackson, Bob James, Buddy Guy, Nina Simone, Earl Wild, Zubin Mehta, The Kinks, Of Montreal, Yo La Tengo and Jerry Garcia, from 60 independent labels around the world. Music can be downloaded in high definition uncompressed AIFF or lossless FLAC format files for playback on home audio systems, including PCs, Macs or music servers, or as 320kbps mp3 files that far exceed the quality of standard mp3 files for playback on iPods and other portables. 

HDtracks offers an intriguing alternative for the current "iTunes" music buyer. In addition to offering consumers entire albums at value-pricing ($11.98), complete with PDF-file downloads of album cover art and full liner notes, it is the first site to provide nothing but high-definition, DRM-free downloads for both PCs and Macs playable on any home or portable device. The site also offers thousands of music titles from diverse genres (including blues, classical, country, folk, gospel, jazz, latin, new age, pop, R&B, rock, soundtracks and world music) that are often overlooked by music sites designed to be "everything for everybody." (Editor's Note: A complete list of independent record labels associated with HDtracks is attached.)

"HDtracks is like the cool Greenwich Village record store of yesteryear, where you can always discover something different and worthwhile that you'd never find anywhere else," said site co-founder Norman Chesky. "And by focusing on the sale of complete albums and giving music enthusiasts the ability to download cover art and liner notes, we're also restoring key components of the music experience not enjoyed since the days of vinyl, and not offered by any other music site."

High definition music files deliver greater audio detail and realism than the standard compressed 128 kbps mp3 files commonly heard by the average iPod and mp3 player user. By preserving more of the original digital information in the recording, the AIFF, FLAC and 320 kbps mp3 files offered by HDtracks retain more of the original audio performance. In offering all three of these formats as an option for any download, HDtracks gives buyers the ultimate flexibility for playback:

· AIFF format files deliver uncompressed CD-quality music that is compatible with iTunes, iPods and Winamp

· FLAC format files deliver CD-quality lossless compression music files that allows audio to be downloaded at a faster rate than AIFF and is compatible with Media Monkey, VLC, Songbird, Mac Flac, Toast and Winamp

· 320 kbps mp3 format files enable quick download times and universal compatibility for all portable mp3 media players

Furthermore, in the coming months HDtracks will offer select titles in ultra-high resolution 96kHz/24-bit files that provide DVD-Audio sound quality for music enthusiasts who seek the very finest audio quality available.

"Serious efforts have been made throughout history to deliver a pristine live-music experience, from the design of concert halls with perfect acoustics to the building of precious hand-made instruments, to the years of work put in by performers to perfect their craft," said site co-founder David Chesky. "We offer the best alternative to those music enthusiasts who will not compromise and accept recorded music that is compressed, flat, lifeless, and represents a mere fraction of the original performance."

Not surprisingly, accomplished musicians frustrated by how typical downloads diminish the quality of their work have responded favorably to HDtracks. "At last!," declared nine-time Grammy winner Paquito D'Rivera. "With the invention of HDtracks, music lovers can not only enjoy CD quality, but also liner notes and photographs of their favorite artists. The future is here!"  Legendary concert pianist Earl Wild noted that HDtracks "is the only music download site that retains the exact experience of my audiophile-recording CDs. Anyone particular about sound quality should feel comfortable using this site exclusively."  Renown flugelhorn master Chuck Mangione simply said, "I love the way my recordings sound!"

About HDtracks

Founded by David and Norman Chesky of the respected audiophile-record label Chesky Records, HDtracks is a high-quality music download service offering a diverse catalog of independent music from around the world. HDtracks does not believe in DRM, and as a result, offers a selection of unencrypted files that play on any computer or portable device. HDtracks recognizes that while there are significant benefits to accessing music at the touch of a button in today's computer age, preserving sound quality and the visceral experience of the live music performance should remain a priority. The sound should not suffer at the expense of convenience. The HDtracks mission is to deliver the whole package: world-class music, unrivaled sound, files that play in any environment, and liner notes that enhance appreciation of the artist and album.

* Digital Rights Management encoding, or DRM, is a technology that limits the usage of digital media. HDTracks does not employ this technology as the company believes that once its customers purchase music from its site, they have the right to play it wherever they wish on any device they choose.

Note to editors: Please contact Doug Wright , Giles Communications at 914-798-4115 or dwright@giles.com for interviews with Norman or David Chesky.

HDtracks features music from the following independent labels:
Acoustic Disc
Alligator Records
Appleseed Recordings
ASV
Audium Records
Bar None Records
BHM Records/ZYX
Black Box
Blind Pig Records
Blue Jackal Entertainment
Brodsky Records
Calvin Records
Chesky Records
COE Records
Collegium Records
Cryptogramophone
Daemon Records
Dorian
DRG
Evidence Records
Fatboy Records
Gaudeamus
HipBop Records
Hyena Records
Imago Recording Company
Ivory Classics
KOCH Records
Liquid 8 Records
Luaka Bop
Marquis Classics
MaxJazz
MDG Records
Miles High Records
Mode Records
Musical Concepts
New Albion Records
New World Records
OhBoy Records
Oxingale
Pachyderm Records
Penitentiary Records
Reader's Digest
Reference Recordings
Renaissance Entertainment
Resonance
Revenant Records
Sidecho
Signature Sound Recordings
Silva Screen Records
Sundazed Music
Sunnyside Records
Taang! Records
Taxi Records
The Children's Group
Tzadik
Vanguard Classics
White Line
Wigmore Hall Live
Wildflower

Brian

Quote from: bhodges on April 29, 2008, 10:05:25 AM
Blind Pig Records
I was stunned to see this label included on the list. About an hour's drive from where I live is a place called the Hilltop Café, which is, well, on a hilltop. In the middle of nowhere. It's about a dozen miles from the nearest town, but the food (Greek/Cajun/Texan) is legendary and some folks drive all the way from Austin or (like us) San Antonio to eat there. The Café is owned by a fellow named Johnny Nicholas, a Greek-Texan who in his heyday (the 60s and 70s) was a minor but popular figure in the Texas blues circuit. Posters in the restaurant advertise his gigs with folks like B.B. King. Anyways, back in the 70s Johnny Nicholas was one of the major properties of ... Blind Pig Records. And when I last visited the restaurant, the day before yesterday, I had one of the very best sandwiches of my life - a Blind Pig Sandwich, open face with ham, melted provolone, tomatoes and oodles of Mediterranean seasoning. Absolutely scrumptious (and far too small  :D )!

mn dave

Yay for me! Naxos has gone to the iTunes Plus format.

George

Quote from: mn dave on June 03, 2008, 04:28:52 PM
Yay for me! Naxos has gone to the iTunes Plus format.

Since when you care about SQ?  :P

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: mn dave on June 03, 2008, 04:28:52 PMYay for me! Naxos has gone to the iTunes Plus format.
Erm, afaik "itunes plus" is just a brand name, the format should be AAC.

mn dave

Quote from: Wurstwasser on June 03, 2008, 11:05:59 PM
Erm, afaik "itunes plus" is just a brand name, the format should be AAC.

"Plus" meaning twice the kbps.  :)

Quote from: mn dave on June 04, 2008, 04:23:45 AM"Plus" meaning twice the kbps.  :)
But it's still AAC, even if someone would call it "mn dave super ultra plus". Additionally, the bandwidth and hard disk space reality demands LOSSLESS ONLY, which makes us way more flexible.

nigeld

those of you who like to download at decent quality should be aware that eClassical.com are in the process of shifting everything to 320kbps.

Really excellent service with some great offers

Just downloaded Martinu symphonies 1 to 6 for just $5.99

Neemi Jarvi on BIS

Soli Deo Gloria

mn dave

I have moved from iTunes to Amazon downloads recently because they offer more recordings in better sound.

George

Quote from: mn dave on June 27, 2008, 11:10:33 AM
I have moved from iTunes to Amazon downloads recently because they offer more recordings in better sound.

Seconded. No DRM either.  8)

mn dave

Quote from: Howard on June 27, 2008, 11:19:22 AM
Seconded. No DRM either.  8)

No DRM in iTunes Plus files but the lower quality ones, yes. Which...makes no sense to me.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

mn dave

VBR

What is it? Why do we like/not like it?

otterhouse

this week for you on:

http://docent.cmd.hro.nl/otter/

Edmund Nick, conducting the
"Bavaria-Sinfonie-Orchester"